Re: Are larger amps worth it?
MMM #429410 05/03/18 10:25 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi Matt,

Going with more power is one of those things you really need to try. From my own experience I could certainly never go back to less power. Fortunately we have an In-home-trial to allow you to get the answer for yourself with basically no-risk. There are a lot of factors at play; room size, listening level desires, and if you play dynamically recorded music (properly recorded music is a better way to put it). For anyone listening to highly compressed music in a small room where they cannot turn it up, then there is not much point in even trying, but outside of this scenario I highly suggest giving it a try. It could turn out to be the greatest decision you ever made for your system. I should add that you already have the best of the best in your system so a huge power amp with lots of dynamic headroom is the logical next thing to try.

Last edited by Ian; 05/03/18 10:27 PM.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
MMM #429412 05/04/18 01:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ian makes a great point, if you listen to newer music thats been bastardized by the loudness wars your not going to reap the benfits of the amp ,the louder its played the worse it sounds. The Genxers and millenials have ruined music with their god damn iphones.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #429470 05/27/18 02:23 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Sadly Ian, that offer is only good if you can get someone at Axiom to actually ship the product. It's been a month since I got a notification that Moe was working on the amp. It doesn't matter how many times you phone, or email or try and get in contact with Axiom to get an update. You have charged my Credit Card so you have my money and I don't have the product shipped.

I guess the option is to call VISA fraud department and get the charges reversed as it appears your not working in good faith. Sorry if this is the only means to express my frustration. I do like your products, but if the customer service can't match your customers needs, the only choice is to walk away.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #429471 05/27/18 05:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am not sure what is going on with AXIOM but i know when i bought my amp from EMO it took 3 weeks and then time to ship. Not quite as long as you have waited but maybe they are busier than we realize . Emo's website said 7 days when i ordered but i guess it got busier than expected.Hopefull someone will answer the phone or reply here, its very hard to not get something you want especially in this instant gratification society we now live in.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #429472 05/28/18 05:42 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I was at Deerhurst resort for a dance competition with my daughter at the beginning of April. As it's so close to Axiom, I made a detour to drop by and visit them. During that visit, I placed the order and was told by Deb that Andrew had designed a new amp circuit board and they would be in at some point soon.

The agreement was that I'd rather wait for the newly designed board before they start to make mine. It was when I got home that I started to have the seeds of buyers remorse over the price paid vs if I would see any gain from the expense.

Shortly after I posted here I got an email from Axiom that my assumption was the new boards were in and they were making up my amp. Why would you send out a notification that you were working on something unless you had all the parts to finish it. I have heard from Ian that they are expecting the boards in shortly, so it must be that they made up the box, put in the power supply but simply couldn't get any further as they didn't have the 'amp' part to fit inside.

I will wait a bit longer as it hopefully is getting made and will show up.

MMM #429473 05/28/18 07:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dont feel bad, Emo been leading me on since 2014 for an upgrade board for 4K and an ATMOS board. Every time its close according to them they go silent. 2 weeks ago they took orders and had people send their processor's in and then a problem and radio silence again. Not much i can do but wait impatiently,at least its summer and can go outside again. I have a brand new amp with 6 channels just waiting for ATMOS, not my best purchase decision this year.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #429474 05/28/18 10:24 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Sorry to hear about that Mat.

When I ordered my 1250 it took around a month for the shipping.
The anticipation is killer.

Hopefully they're not having to many issues with the new boards.
At least when it does ship the distance isn't to great, unlike us on the other side of the country.

Here's hoping it comes soon.

MMM #429475 05/28/18 11:00 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Originally Posted By MatManhasgone
I was at Deerhurst resort for a dance competition with my daughter at the beginning of April. As it's so close to Axiom, I made a detour to drop by and visit them. During that visit, I placed the order and was told by Deb that Andrew had designed a new amp circuit board and they would be in at some point soon.

The agreement was that I'd rather wait for the newly designed board before they start to make mine. It was when I got home that I started to have the seeds of buyers remorse over the price paid vs if I would see any gain from the expense.

Shortly after I posted here I got an email from Axiom that my assumption was the new boards were in and they were making up my amp. Why would you send out a notification that you were working on something unless you had all the parts to finish it. I have heard from Ian that they are expecting the boards in shortly, so it must be that they made up the box, put in the power supply but simply couldn't get any further as they didn't have the 'amp' part to fit inside.

I will wait a bit longer as it hopefully is getting made and will show up.

The new design could have had any one or a combination of problems including a manufacturing error. If it was me, I wouldn't cut a new design into production until it was completely verified. Or maybe there was a part shortage.

Ian is very eager to please (and is an eternal optimist) and in this case, he shot himself in the foot. To be fair to him though, you agreed to wait for the new design so you took a risk.

I know from experience, Ian will go 10 extra miles to ensure satisfaction. In my case, it was 1900 miles.

Since you're having the seeds of buyer's remorse, maybe you are second-guessing your purchase which makes what's happened even more bitter. I've been there and done that with the EP600v2. Ten years after my original purchase, he remembered me and made things more than right. I'm a customer for life and so will my son be one day.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
MMM #429516 06/06/18 01:47 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The new amp showed up. It took a bit to get it connected and to re-route all the wires around to get it working.

The net result is about the same. As it is pretty tough to do a true A/B instant comparison, I might be missing subtle nuances. I have tried it on a selection of music and watching some movies. With the volume at -20db on the Anthem AVR, it is pretty darn loud. Enough that the family upstairs complains that I am watching too loud.

I will play with it for a bit more, but I am back to the hard side of trying to justify spending the $2k+ on the upgrade where I am not sure if I am seeing any real discernable difference. Perhaps I am just not using the right source material.

MMM #429518 06/06/18 07:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Have you tried only using only the LFR1100's (no sub, center, surrounds) using a very dynamic ranged source (Blu-ray music or high action movie)? This is where you would see if your amp is able to keep your speakers juiced. If you are using your sub, it is taking much of the dynamic load in movie mode making it hard to see if the amp does anything.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,030 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup