Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: New vs Old - Tweeters
Rebulx #439146 10/17/20 03:17 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Cork, that's very interesting feedback. And yes, it was you I was thinking of but I didn't want to call you out. Some folks are shy. smile I've been wondering why Axiom discontinued the M22. Given your feedback, it could be Axiom couldn't make it better, acknowledged it and moved on. Or maybe they just didn't want to invest any more in it. Thanks for sharing, BTW. The important thing is you've been enjoying them in the last decade.

The cross-over and the tweeters are of course very related but if you start off with a compromised tweeter design, you have to make compromises elsewhere too.

As for the M3, I had heard the Ti and did not like it. However, the M3v4 sound-staged and imaged better than my M80v2. The highs were also very nice. My guests and I preferred the M3v4 over the M80v2. Later, when I added the M2v4 into the mix, the M2 were preferred also over the M3v4 and M80v2. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I would take the M2v4 without a sub over the M80v2 with a sub. Understand however that imaging and soundstage are more important to me than full bass and dynamics. I actually find the dynamics nicer on the M2v4 but of course it can't go as loud as the M80v2.

Now here's the thing: as I have reported a few times, the M3v4 has a "real" cross-over. It's not like the v2 or Ti. Perhaps that cross-over and the new tweeter, tweaked using an improved Family of Curves, makes the M3v4 so much better than the previous versions. That new cross-over BTW was introduced in v3. I don't doubt that improvements were made to it in v4.

With regard to M3v4 vs. M2v4, they are completely different animals. The lack of a mid-woofer on the M3 makes the M3, M40, M50 the "odd" speakers out of the entire Axiom line. I do prefer the M2v4 over the M3v4 but then again, I have said the M3v4 sound is very relaxing and it would be cool to try and bring that sound, via a switch, to the other speakers. I find the M2v4 a nice balance between higher resolution speakers in the Axiom line-up and lower ones like the M3 and M50.

As for the M5s, those suckers were a complete re-design from the ground up with the constraints that the engineers had to use existing drivers and enclosure manufacturing methods and parts, and had to meet cost and size targets. Using those constraints, the engineers were free to do whatever they wanted including a lot of characterization and tweaking in the chamber which costs a lot of money and beers. The result was an impeccable speaker that easily competes with speakers twice the price. The one thing the engineers couldn't overcome was physics - the HP driver needs a ton of power.

The M5 does bring a conundrum to the table. Do you go with M5s and no sub or M2s and a sub or M5s with a sub. If you're going to add a sub to the system, and imaging and soundstage are important to you, the M2 may give more impressive results if you are not playing loud enough to distort the M2's mid-woofer (the M5's mid-woofer is crossed to the HP driver at 250Hz and therefore remains more linear on the low end). I say "may" because it depends on room integration. The M5 has a hump at around 100Hz and it does have an extra driver and more drivers make for more challenging imaging. The other factor to be considered is for some, imaging and soundstage is not important because they don't listen that way or they can't due to placement in the room. That's OK. But once they hear imaging and soundstage, they likely cannot go back. I know that from experience with my friends and family. And me.

Anyway, I think it's terrific that you answered the M22v2 vs. M22v4 question for yourself and that you enjoy them.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Kodiak #439148 10/17/20 03:33 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I think it’s interesting the v4 tweeter you describe it as horn to improve its sound. I’m not trying to start a huge horn debate here at all, I’m trying to learn. ( I’ve read some crazy arguments over what is a horn and what isn’t a horn that got out of control). So, is that v4 tweeter a horn? By my luddite stance I’d say no. Or does it have some horn characteristics in how it operates? Maybe. Or does it even matter. By the sounds of it , whatever was done to it with the wave dispersion plate ( terminology?) it worked great.

There's no debate about horns. They can be abused, like in the Tractrix horn for the Klipsch or used with great care as in the application of, what I think, is a shallow exponential-hyperbolic horn with low flare as in Axiom's case.

I’ve read some descriptions of the ti tweet described as “ accurate “ but not bright. I can’t say bc I haven’t heard the v4 to compare. I think accurate is a good way to say it bc some recordings do sound sibilant to me. Whereas others sound and appear perfect with minimal sibilance or none. So I’d have to say that it’s the recording that makes it or breaks it the most for me.

I would hear sibilance in v2 that I don't hear in v4. I truly find the v4 tweeter to be practically perfect.

House of the Rising Sone
Kodiak #439149 10/17/20 03:49 PM
M
M
How are those ti tweeters treating you Rebulx

He likes it loud. I think he ignited the Emotiva and vaporized Ti and v4 tweeters. laugh

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #439150 10/17/20 03:59 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Originally Posted by Mojo
I would hear sibilance in v2 that I don't hear in v4. I truly find the v4 tweeter to be practically perfect.

No doubt. That’s remarkable praise. I’m stoked to hear a v4 tweet someday.

I do remain astonished by how much the recording quality matters. It’s incredible. There’s some tracks that I can keep turning up the SPL and it’s amazing and clear and holographic and just makes me smile. I played that Lee Ritenour track I posted about yesterday, Closed Door Jam, and it made speak out loud to one in particular. I actually said out loud “ holy $@&;! that’s amazing”.

Other tracks I can’t even bear to listen to and move on. They just suck.

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
Rebulx #439152 10/17/20 04:06 PM
M
M
I'm listening to that track right now but I am telling you that you're missing a lot. If you're high on that right now, a sealed sub and M60v4 will have you rockin and a reelin, bouncing off the ceiling with glee and emotion.

I'd take the M60v4 over the M80v4 BTW. More linear.

BTW, you ought to hear the nuanced, tight yet transparent bass in After the Rain with v4 and sealed subs. Damn addictive!

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #439153 10/17/20 04:09 PM
aficionado
aficionado
How are those ti tweeters treating you Rebulx

He likes it loud. I think he ignited the Emotiva and vaporized Ti and v4 tweeters. laugh

That’s a lot of tweeters to replace with Ti tweeters. Rebulx, were you able to trade in the v4 tweets for ti? Or do you have all the v4 still?

I can just picture the tweeters melting and smoke coming out of the emotiva. I worry about my ti tweeters when I’m playing at high spl ( High for me anyway,) and there’s a point where you can’t go any further. Gets yucky. I find every song has its happy place for volume in my room.

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
Mojo #439156 10/17/20 04:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado

That’s really interesting to hear you say that. I know you’ve said less drivers are more linear. Which makes sense. I don’t think I’d benefit really from an m100 or m80hp. Maybe an m60hpv4 is all I need. With more power behind them. Might make more sense then too spend money in future on better components and power so I can hear how that changes things ( as I’ve gotten used to my ti versions ). Or I put m60hpv4 into what I have now to hear the difference of the speakers without changing components.

Less drivers is more linear, so m2 with subs blended would be why you keep saying that I guess.

Kodiak #439157 10/17/20 04:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Just to add to that, I’d still like to have the ability really go loud occasionally.

When it does come time to upgrade maybe I order up all of the plausible options and just try them all over 30 days. Keep what sounds the best and send the rest back.

Last edited by Kodiak; 10/17/20 04:41 PM.

Kodiak #439159 10/17/20 05:24 PM
M
M

That’s really interesting to hear you say that. I know you’ve said less drivers are more linear. Which makes sense. I don’t think I’d benefit really from an m100 or m80hp. Maybe an m60hpv4 is all I need. With more power behind them. Might make more sense then too spend money in future on better components and power so I can hear how that changes things ( as I’ve gotten used to my ti versions ). Or I put m60hpv4 into what I have now to hear the difference of the speakers without changing components.

Less drivers is more linear, so m2 with subs blended would be why you keep saying that I guess.

No, hang on! Less drivers is not more linear. What I said is that less drivers can lead to better room integration and better imaging. My M2s for example integrate with and image better in my living room than any other Axiom.

More drivers are used to allow higher SPLs. With less drivers, the speakers distort when you want more SPL. The drivers share the SPL load. Back to my living room M2s, one mid-woofer and one tweeter is more than enough for my living room needs.

House of the Rising Sone
Kodiak #439160 10/17/20 05:27 PM
M
M
Just to add to that, I’d still like to have the ability really go loud occasionally.

When it does come time to upgrade maybe I order up all of the plausible options and just try them all over 30 days. Keep what sounds the best and send the rest back.

Loud and clean = M100s

Louder and cleaner = active LFR1100s smile

House of the Rising Sone
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945