Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The repurposing Axioms speaker bag thread
#443961 11/13/21 04:39 PM
rrlev Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Seem like a waste to toss out the protective bag Axiom ships with its speakers. So I’ve been finding other uses …

I’ve used an M3 bag as a laundry bag. It’s the perfect size for travel. I’m traveling now and have one on me. I suspect I’ll need to wash it at some point so we will see if it holds up. I’ve also used a EP500 / 600 bags to cover or store equipment.

Let see if we can come up with more ways …
Tell us if and how you repurpose them OR just throw out an idea …

Re: The repurposing Axioms speaker bag thread
rrlev #443962 11/13/21 04:49 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I've used them for job cleanup at installs. Used them as a gift bag. Used them as a boot cover in finished houses.

Used them to cover cinder blocks for temporary M5 Bookshelf stands. Ummm yeah.... temporary. Doh! Perfect size.

I've used the box lids as seat protectors in the back of my work truck for my tool bag and rubber boots.

I've used the packing foam as kneeling pads a ton for work down low and terminating data and plugs on jobs. Saved my knees a ton working on hardwood in houses. Used 'em today again.

Used the packing foam to make port plugs for my DIY towers. Work great!

Damn. The packaging sure is handy!!

Don't get me started on the cardboard. Heavy and sturdy. Perfect for painting drop mats and under staining projects.

Great thread idea. smile

rrlev #443969 11/13/21 08:53 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
I've been saving them, so far I've just used them to put other speaker bags into.

Traveling laundry bag's a good idea. Threads a great idea, I'll be watching attentively.

rrlev #443971 11/14/21 03:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Reduce, reuse, recycle.

I wish the plastics would be reduced first at the seller. This is the hardest thing to reuse or recycle for consumers. I haven't yet seen these bags, but they will likely remain in the original boxes along with any foam packaging which will get stored in the garage rafters because i can't bring myself to throw that in the garbage and would rather hold onto it until the end of time or until we finally accept it into recyclable materials.
The plastic strapping?
Likely garbage.

I wish there were better ways to reuse some stuff, but even Trevors knee pads will wear and become garbage or if ever, maybe recycled at some point. We need to find better products than plastics for these purposes.

I bought a bamboo and plant fiber based toothbrush a few weeks ago. It's quite soft, fantastic. The package it came in resembled the strong, wax paper plastic of cereal bags but it was plant based, 100% compostable. Why are we not using that for more commercial applications?
Screw the cost. Plastic needs to go.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #443973 11/14/21 03:29 AM
rrlev Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Damn. The packaging sure is handy!!

I’ve also use the foam for stuff. It’s a bit bulky to store but it does come in handy.

To protect a finish when you work on stuff. Especially handy for turning over things protecting both the object and the floor. I’ve done the same for knee protection.
Need a bit of vibration isolation under your machine just put it on some foam block. For example under the feet of your washing machine …

chesseroo #443974 11/14/21 04:35 AM
rrlev Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I bought a bamboo and plant fiber based toothbrush a few weeks ago. It's quite soft, fantastic. The package it came in resembled the strong, wax paper plastic of cereal bags but it was plant based, 100% compostable. Why are we not using that for more commercial applications?
It’s my understanding is that bamboo in any form other than wood is not that ecological. The energy costs and the chemicals used to soften the bamboo supposedly make it a very poor trade off in that respect.

So if your buying “environmental” bamboo pajamas because you wanted to save the environment… you might be a bit disappointed.

BTW, Your toothbrush might be ok if the bamboo was used just for the handle.

rrlev #443977 11/15/21 02:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by chesseroo
It’s my understanding is that bamboo in any form other than wood is not that ecological. The energy costs and the chemicals used to soften the bamboo supposedly make it a very poor trade off in that respect.

So if your buying “environmental” bamboo pajamas because you wanted to save the environment… you might be a bit disappointed.

BTW, Your toothbrush might be ok if the bamboo was used just for the handle.

R, you wrote that as if i'm naive about the sources of sustainable products that we try to buy. I'm guessing you don't know much about my background. I had a longer post for this that was backed by a few scientific articles on bamboo processing and sustainability (including processing of bamboo fibers using enzymes and mechanical rather than chemical means) but decided keep it simple:

Disappointed with the environmental impact of bamboo vs a plastic toothbrush?
I'm going to assume you are joking.
Take a look into the journal articles. Lots of publications on research into bamboo sustainable use in tons of ways, different processing methods, different products. Processing white paper products was once a horribly damaging industry here in Canada and much has changed in 20+ years in that industry alone.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
rrlev #443978 11/15/21 02:18 PM
rrlev Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Chess, I’m sure you know more than I on this topic …
My wife and I do the best we can to be environmentally conscious. We avoid Bamboo clothing and other soft products becauce as state above it was our understanding. It seems you know of some processes that are more environmentally friendly.

As far as most plastics vs bamboo … of course I agree 100% … but that was not the discussion we were having. I get the feeling you are trying to win an argument rather than have a discussion. In any case plastic is, hopefully, not the only alternative.

Let’s take this one off line and let this thread be about how to reuse and repurpos Axioms packaging … So, please
PM me the links … I’d like to know more.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #443980 11/16/21 03:37 AM
rrlev Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Don't get me started on the cardboard. Heavy and sturdy. Perfect for painting drop mats and under staining projects.
I've used big boxes as spray booths for painting stuff (using spray cans or guns). Just cut them down the seam, open them up and tape/clip on a top and bottom and they are ready to go for small jobs (setup outside on non-windy day). With a box fan and a furnace filter you can even work inside by exhausting the fumes though an outside door. Use plastic sheeting to guide air and keep random paint spray contained. It all folds up for next time.

rrlev #443981 11/16/21 09:12 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
That is an awesome idea. Going to steal that one for sure!

Repurposing Axiom's packaging
rrlev #445205 05/01/22 07:10 PM
rrlev Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Creating skyline, 1d QRD, and 2d QRD filters from Axiom's packing foam.

Think we should rename or start a new thread call "Repurposing Axiom's packaging"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,034 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup