Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Matching Axiom and Bryston Speakers
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #444109 11/29/21 04:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Were you testing in mono with each speaker dead in front of you? Might yield different result?

I have been trying to embrace different viewpoints on audio and tried the New Record Day speaker setup for best soundstage method. Its on youtube. Trying to learn from divergent opinions.

For various reasons his method didnt work, and it makes sense if you think about room acoustics why it wouldnt in all rooms. Frequency response was horrible with this method in my room. No bass…. Excited mode at 100hz. It reinforced my experience, and I reverted to a calculator and laser. Fantastic result.

Anyway, interestingly enough I was able to make the M5HP completely unlistenable. -To the point I though something was wrong with the amplifier. Anyway…. point being you can make speakers’ character night and day different by changing their interaction and loading of your room.

Here is the best result from the new record day vid with M5s Trace in green. After listening to 1min clips while setting placement I was happy. Sit for 20 mins? Turned it off and left disgusted…. But treble and air was there. Not the speakers fault though!!

[Linked Image from imgpile.com]

Thread derail, hallmark of the forums.
I'll bring the discussion back over here in the listening tests thread:
https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/u...ker-comparison-m60ti-vs-m60v4#Post444002

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Matching Axiom and Bryston Speakers
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #444111 11/29/21 05:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by TrevorM
This is the result when I moved them 14 inches. About the same as putting speakers side by side for comparison. Same speaker in same room. Just set up with acoustical rules. Sounds fantastic now. Very balanced and bass is fast with no overhang.

Not sure if its a v4 vs ti thing? In my room the v4 is dang near perfect? 14 inches!

[Linked Image from imgpile.com]

One thing i found with the LARSA smoothing, if you use 1/6th octave or less, it gets infinitely harder to assess the overall tonal changes because there is too much detail in the frequencies peaks/valleys. The minute changes are hard to decipher. I use the 1/3rd scaling to better visualize the 'big' overall changes in peaks and valleys.

It is interesting but not surprising to see such a change in the lower end hump though. There is a vaguely similar dip, downturn between 90Hz and 200/250Hz that i also measured in both the M60s versions before the midrange started an upward rise. Also notable is that the lower end smoothed out a bit after the location change, but this also created a significant new valley in the 2-3.5Khz range. When i was playing around with tweaking the vocals clarity on the M60 V4 with the Denon EQ, the biggest changes came when i upped the dB in the 1-3 kHz range.

If you have any M60 V4 sweeps to post on them in different rooms, would love to see that!

Last edited by chesseroo; 11/29/21 05:01 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,494
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020