Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Requesting feedback on HT upgrade from Axiom Owner
Chiru #444236 12/12/21 03:25 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Yes, front LCR at seated ear height to tweeter. Channels closer to the listening area should be cheated slightly higher to avoid hot spotting.

Sorry. Hope this clarifies. smile

Chiru #444237 12/12/21 03:36 PM
L
old hand
old hand
L
My screen height from the bottom is 24" to the floor, unfortunately I have an equipment cabinet that is 20" tall in front of it. The bottom of the M5's are just above the bottom of the screen frame by about a half of an inch. This puts the tweeter at about 42" off the ground a bit high. So the speakers mid and woofer are at the bottom of the screen and that's why I feel the sound appears to come from the bottom, the dialog seems to come from the middle of the screen though. Maybe its just me but I've noticed in many theater build threads where people use bookshelf speakers they invert them, trying to keep the tweeter low and have the sound appear to come from the centre of the screen.

I have found that the dual layered spandex has no effect on the sound once you run the Audysey correction. I don't use the speaker grilles behind the screen either.

Disclaimer Notice! I'm a newb to this.

LCR's M5HPOW
Rears QS-10
2-Velodyne VDR12-BV
Onkyo TX-NR757
Optoma HD142x w/115" DIY AT Spandex screen
Chiru #444238 12/13/21 03:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by Chiru
VP180 is very heavy speaker. I will confirm how many mounting brackets are provided with it. @rrlev confirmed that he got 2 brackets with the newer VP180 but I will post any question on the forum for the axiom team to confirm it. Another member on the forum Mojo mentioned that he did not like three M5HP ONW so he replaced center to VP160 ONW. I would prefer to have three same speakers for the LCR. I wanted to check with the Ian or Andrew if we can use three VP180 in vertical configuration and height of the middle of the VP180 on the wall. Another option is use three VP160 ONW as the width of VP160 ONW is just 21 inches, it should be possible to place them behind the screen. I would like to get input from the axiom team on that configuration.
I do not have a VP180ow … I just thought it came with two brackets because I “seem” to remember seeing a diagram of it some where.
But Im starting to suspect I’m wrong

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #444239 12/13/21 04:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Yes, bed speakers 4-5' to tweeter.
Was this a miss type or were you thinking of perhaps teired seating. I started to say in the post above
In the theater I was in the speakers were placed mid screen. The question in my mind is … was this done so the dialogue and action came from mid-hieght of the screen or was it the best compromise height for 20+ rows. It kind of makes sense to put the tweeters mid screen. But why do all the surround formats spec it at ear level.

Originally Posted by TrevorM
Pretty sure budget allows for 3x VP180 as vertical channels. That would be something I would say!
What’s the advantage of using centers as verticals?

Chiru #444240 12/13/21 10:22 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Using the VP180 as vertical has 3 possible benefits.

No question on horizontal dispersion.

Arguable better tweeter coverage over more seating heights.

Larger than an M5HP without either pushing tweeters way too high or too low if inverted in the case of OWM60 or OWM80 behind screen.

The OW180 is a swiss army knife if you get creative with mounting.

Option in your setup. Curious what you think.

Chiru #444241 12/13/21 03:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If I was creating a theater only room my first go to would have been 3 180ow's behind the screen surrounded by AT fabric. But I'd have to experiment with tweeter placement.

The vertical VP180's are interesting but a big variable in my mind as to how they would interact with the rest of the sound system in the Z axis. I'd expect that VP180 might be an issue placing the vertical axis higher than expected and perhaps providing a more vertical spread making objects placement a bit more fuzzy. This is all conjecture ...

The 3d formats are expecting the fronts to be mixed with heights and tops to place objects. If the fronts are too high you won't be able to place an object straight ahead of you. But if your screen is high then the sound placement and especially the dialog will be too low.

Last edited by rrlev; 12/13/21 03:09 PM.
rrlev #444246 12/13/21 10:49 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted by rrlev
Casey,
I’m not 1000% sure about this but I thought the VP180ow’s was hung with two brackets. How old is your vp180ow?

I just got it a little over a year ago with the M5OW shortly thereafter, so unless something has changed during that period, it would be the same since the bracket itself is an integral part of the connection to the amps. For the record, I did make my case in a call to Axiom indicating, in my opinion, the On-wall portion itself was too small, screws were not big and long enough and the cable hook-ups were barely large enough to accept Axioms own 12 guage cable. In any case, I did a workaround which solved the problem. I was hoping that there would have been an optional adjustable on-wall mounting system with the regular binding posts, since with the current bracket you might not have the luxury of a wall stud exactly under the center of your screen.

One has to remember that aside from the space for the speakers and wiring, the OW wall speakers such as the VP180, M60, and M80 are solid wood so they are almost as heavy as their regular counterparts.

Chiru #444247 12/14/21 12:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I now remember where I saw that drawing. When I received my VP150ow the directions looked like it was supposed to be hung with dual brackets. I thought maybe the VP150ow being a refurb didn't have the newer mount or that the directions were generalized to cover all the VP's (some having dual brackets) ...

A single bracket for the 150 seemed a bit sketchy and I ended up moving it bit off center since exact center just missed the stud ... I'd never dream a VP180ow would mount that way

Chiru #444248 12/14/21 02:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Since the topic has come up, anyone have a tried and true method for wall mounting the heavy QS10s?
There's loads of possible drywall plugs options at Home Depot, but hoping someone has a specific one that has been solid. I'm a bit less concerned about the QS8s (already had mounts for those which held for 15 years just fine although there was always a rattle that could not be narrowed down).

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/14/21 02:37 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Chiru #444249 12/14/21 02:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by Chiru
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers in my home theater. I am looking for recommendations on placement of the speakers on wall and also few concerns with design of some on wall speakers.

I use the home theater for mostly watching movies and shows and on few occasions watch some video songs on YouTube.

Current Room and Equipment:
5.1/7.1 Setup
Room 16x21 size media room with acoustic transparent DIY projection screen.
Left and Right: (Polk Monitor 70 II)
Center channel speakers (Polk monitor CS2)
Side: Polk Monitor 40 II as surround.
Back: Some old Polk speakers
Subwoofer: New REL HT1508 Predator subwoofer (15inch).
AVR: Harmon Kardon AVR 635 with precuts (75 watts all 7 channel driven)
Apple TV HD
Screen size: 144 inches wide and 69 inches height
Sony HD Blueray player
Projector : Optomo HD25LV (1080p projector)
Only one row of seats
Budget: Price preferably want to keep it below 1100.

I am happy with the subwoofer and I don't intend to replace or upgrade it. I only looking at upgrading the front three speakers and using the current tower speakers on the side and move the Monitor 40 to the rear. I already have prewiring for 4 or 6 inceiling speakers to add Atmos or front top left and right speakers with voice of god speakers. I was considering upgrading to atmos when I upgrade the receiver.

I read that using the center speaker behind the screen would make huge difference to the audio experience for movies. I am considering on wall speakers so that I could place them behind the screen without any changes to the wall. The stud behind the screen might not in the ideal location to place the LCR speakers so I thought on wall would work best as it would allow me to flexibility on placing the speakers. I also thought on wall would sound better than in wall speakers.... I am basing it purely on recommendations online. If anyone has first hand experience with differences between on wall and in wall .. please share it.

I am looking at three options. I would like to get feedback from existing Axiom speakers users who are using on wall or regular speakers.

1) Use Regular M5HP On wall speakers
2) M5HP for Left and Right with VP160 on wall
3) Three Axiom VP180 on wall speakers as LCR mounted behind the screen
4) Three Axiom M60 on wall speakers
5) Two Axiom M60 on wall speakers and one VP160 center on wall speakers

M5HP vs M60/VP180

I have large subwoofer and I would be crossing the speakers at 80hz so will I notice any difference between the M5HP and other speakers M60, VP160 and VP180.
There are also other challenges with these large speakers...especially M60 on wall....placing them completely behind the project screen will be challenging...

Concern on VP180 :

If the budget was the issue..I would consider the first option or even smaller speakers. I prefer to have best sound for home theater..price is not an issue but I have some concerns with VP180 design.
I have read post online from reviewers and people on other forums that design of the VP180 with two tweeters is unorthodox. I understand some of these comments could be made by speakers who never heard or used Axiom speakers. That is reason why I wanted to get feedback from owners that owned VP180 or upgraded to VP180 from other axiom speakers. Do you hear comb filtering issues with the speaker ? How is the performance of the center speaker inline and offline from the speakers ? If there are draw backs to the design of VP180... I would stick to the M5HP on wall or M60 on wall.

Placement of M60 behind the screen:

My current screen is 28 inches from the floor but I am planning to move lower..probably looking to place is 16 inches from the floor. With this configuration, is it possible to have all three M60 behind the screen without blocking one of the woofer with the projection screen frame. Projection screen frame appx 4 inch wide.

Placement of M5HP :

When I sit in the sofa, the ear height is around 34-38 inches. Also what should be ideal height of the on wall speaker tweeter ?

Best time to purchase Axiom Speakers
Axiom had Black Friday sale. Do they have any similar sales in middle of the year ? I believe during the black friend it was around 25% discount.

Another final question:

Is it better to upgrade the AVR to 4K with Atmos before upgrading the front three speakers ?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Venkat

Nice system btw.

Don't worry about long posts. The details help.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020