Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Speaker Placement; Bass Nul
Cork #445568 05/31/22 04:59 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
The B&W Zeppelin looks like a hemorrhoid suppository for elephants.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Cork #445569 05/31/22 04:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mojo, you definitely have a way with words ...

Can't quite put my finger on it ...
What's the inverse of Eloquent, Sophisticated, Pleasing, Suave ...
It will come to me ... smile

Cork #445570 05/31/22 07:29 PM
M
M
Agreed. I have quite the talent. No need to be envious. All you have to do is practice.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #445571 05/31/22 08:04 PM
C
Cork Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
C
Originally Posted by Mojo
She doesn't want on-walls because they'll interfere with her wall clutter. Maybe she can nail the voodoo doll to the ceiling.
While that is a darn good guess, the speakers displaced her desk and a table chock full of do-dads; so she came away with a net reduction of clutter. OW would have preserver both.

Originally Posted by Hambrabi
The other alternative is to just forget about traditional tower speakers ...
Noooo ... ! Is it that bad of a layout? This is my main music listening location now. Replacing my 13x14 study with M5s. That would be the worse outcome possible. The nulls are not that bad, I'm just trying to improve things. Also, it's not the speakers she objects to, it's moving out any more of her stuff.

Originally Posted by Mojo
The B&W Zeppelin looks like a hemorrhoid suppository for elephants.
That was an "interesting" description! But you now know more about my room that I do - where the heck to you see a b&w zeppelin?

No update on actually doing more experimenting, everyone's been working or sleeping.

Cork #445572 05/31/22 08:58 PM
M
M
Cork, hamurabi suggested you might want to consider a B&W Zeppelin. You missed that part of his post like you missed the nominal impedance line in the M5.

You don't have to move her stuff out of that room. Just screw those two chairs to the ceiling. Problem solved!

I love these boards. They are an endless source of entertainment for my aged yet immature mind.

House of the Rising Sone
Cork #445575 05/31/22 10:10 PM
local
Online Content
local
Originally Posted by Cork
Is it that bad of a layout? This is my main music listening location now. Replacing my 13x14 study with M5s. That would be the worse outcome possible. The nulls are not that bad, I'm just trying to improve things. Also, it's not the speakers she objects to, it's moving out any more of her stuff.

It's hard to second guess someone else's decor decisions without more photos. I take it there's a fireplace on the left longitudinal wall? If so, I'd consider relocating the sofa to face it directly, with the accent chairs on either side to form a sociable seating group. That would get rid of the primary sight-line of the stairs from the main seating area. I would have the loudspeakers straddle the fireplace mantle. If there is no mantle, it might be a good spot for a TV bench.

Good home decor has symmetry, repetition, and proportion elements. The short curtains, low curtain rod placement, and crooked picture frames mounted above the door archway call unnecessary attention to the short ceiling height (even though it's not short), and the hanging pieces are the wrong scale for the room size. Those three frames ought to be mounted to the right of the door arch to balance out the mirror on the left. Make sure the grouping is at the same eye-level height as the mirror.

The cushions are the right size but too close to the color of the room; may I suggest bright yellow, cobalt blue, forest green, or white?

If she can buy into making those revisions, then you can upsell her on a subwoofer. wink

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"
Hambrabi #445583 06/01/22 01:06 PM
C
Cork Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
C
Originally Posted by Hambrabi
It's hard to second guess ... upsell her on a subwoofer. wink

Ha! And ouch!
Well, we don't spend much effort to be stylish, so we're good with it as-is. We get some art at the occasional show, throw it up on the wall and call it a day. Or actually a decade. You would have really enjoyed critiquing the walls when she did her sponge thing. That took two paint-overs to erase completely. (You got me on the crooked picture though; it almost bothers me enough to fix it. I almost did 3 days ago, but that would have required me to actively put my hand over my head and that was waay too much work for the moment. It's on the project list.)

On the serious side (I only consider speaker placement as serious), there is a fireplace to the left, and we did have the couch on the right for a while. One problem with that layout is the right is a commonly used path to get to the hot tub, and the couch there makes it a more confined/awkward walk. The other issue is that the measurements would be 7.5' between speakers and ~8' from the speakers to the listening position. Probably too close for M80s. But if she ever decides to go back to that layout I'll definitely give it a try.

I still haven't played around again, that's probably a Friday night with beer activity. But I'm guessing my "fix" will be to slide the chairs back when I want to listen critically.

Cork #445717 06/11/22 12:16 AM
C
Cork Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
C
I finally had a chance to experiment some more.
First off, the chairs definitely affect the center image. So thanks for mentioning that Kodiak. It wasn't a complete washout, maybe 3ish db; but I'll definitely pull the chairs back for critical listening from now on.
As for the null, I now think it's less of a center deficit than a boundary reinforcement problem. The extra bass is roughly 3 ft from each wall, which corresponds to the size of the front wall opening. So the speakers could be too close to the wall, or they could just be reflecting off the front wall (But moving them out as much as 3 feel didn't change things.) In any case, I think I'm good as-is for the low end; not that a sub wouldn't help in the grand scheme of things.
I also tried changing the toe-in again, and I think I had them over-toed. At least I'll try that way for a while and see if the difference remains a positive.
Finally I decided to leave the picture off-center. Too much change all at once can't be good.

Cork #445719 06/12/22 01:09 AM
M
M
Toe it in, toe it out
Let the wife scream and shout
Slide those chairs all around
watch her howl like a hound.

Those god-damned pictures have to go
The monkey ju ju also so
Ju ju, pictures, firepit
Watch her throw a hissy fit.

Speakers pounding out the sound
Images forming all around
Cork just laughs hysterically
As soundstage expands majestically.

The ol' lady screeching, bloody freaking
As her bones start a creakin'
Bones that jump right through her skin
Erasing Cork's shitty grin

Ulna shoved up Cork's rectum
Tibia deviates his nasal septum
Her patella rips his scrotum
Cork is propped up like a totem

Her skull holes are alit with anger
As she grabs a wire hanger
Gouging woofers, squawkers, tweets
Cackling now Cork's heart she eats.

Cork's spirit now starts to rise
A peaceful look deep in his eyes
For in the light, across the gates
A majestic sight awaits.

He sees a place in the light
Filled with speakers, amps with might
Best of all but could it be?
A boundaryless infinity.

House of the Rising Sone
Cork #445720 06/12/22 06:56 PM
C
Cork Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
C
Love it Mojo!
Kind of dark there in the middle, but who doesn't love a happy ending. As a bonus it really does sum things up very nice and tidy-like.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters