Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why did Axiom CHEEP OUT on the LFR1100 Active?
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #445796 06/18/22 08:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by TrevorM
A nifty way we control items in a “smart” way without a smart remote is a master controlled power strip. Cabinet fans, amps, lighting etc…. The main component triggers others on. Simple. You can use a preamp as the master device for example.
Some problems to think about with the strip
  • I've experienced a loud transient sound when I shut off power without hitting the front switch ...
    So, you'd need the trigger connected and the power strip would need a delay. How much delay ... don't know.
  • When turning on I suspect you might want to have two strips with different delay times to limit in-rush ...
    Not sure one exists (but I haven't looked).
  • It might also be desirable to put in a slow-start circuit to increase the life of the amp. If Axiom doesn't do it I might ... I think it would be prudent to pass any changes by axiom before installing it though ... and if you're going that far might as well take all the above and put it in the amp with a variable delay knob in the back of the cabinet (to stagger the amps when powering up.
  • Think shutting down the DSP before the amp is ok ... haven't had a problem yet ... but I always try and shut the amps off first. Also starting up the DSP should be ok with out the slow start ... but I'd leave that for others to call (as I have not measured it).

chesseroo #445797 06/18/22 09:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by chesseroo
And yes, i'm also of the mindset that the Axiom DSP should have had a trigger on it as well. Power savings starts with cutting any idle dribbles no matter how small. How much is standby power really needed? Is it adding that much of a convenience to the end user?
I wouldn't call 58W a dribble smile ... it a 60W incandescent light bulb that is on all the time. The idle power (units on but not playing) is over 200W ....to cut that down might add a lot of expense or start delays when the music is off for a while (depending on implantation). Think most would not care

Oh, and I knew what you meant by idle ... but I'm picky on the terminology sometimes smile

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #445800 06/18/22 11:22 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
In my case, I have the PreAmp along with CD, BluRay, Amazon Firecube, Volumio, 4 surround amps all to the side of the room, with a pair of XLR cables, a 3.5mm trigger, and an HDMI cable running to the front of the room for the TV and the LFRs. I put the pair of ADA1500 with the DAC and the EP500 at the front so they are completely separate from the PreAmp stack. Hence the desire to have them work with the Trigger cable.

YES there are ways around the issue and I can bodge together a solution to make it work. But it's like going out an buying a Farrari and realizing that you need to make a coat hanger loop to open your car door as they just couldn't be bothered to put a door handle on when they made it. Yes you can get inside the car and it drives beautifully, but it's just a bit of an inconvenience. And Enzo says "why you lock the door.. just leave it open".

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #445801 06/19/22 02:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by Slava_Ukraini
In my case, I have the PreAmp along with CD, BluRay, Amazon Firecube, Volumio, 4 surround amps ....
Yes, I hear ya ... I'm in the same boat ... almost the same setup.

it's like going out an buying a Farrari and realizing that you need to make a coat hanger loop to open your car door as they just couldn't be bothered to put a door handle on when they made it. Yes you can get inside the car and it drives beautifully, but it's just a bit of an inconvenience. And Enzo says "why you lock the door.. just leave it open".
Can I tweak your amnalogy ... that you need to leave the Ferrari running when parked else you'll reduce engines life
grin

Last edited by rrlev; 06/19/22 02:16 AM.
MMM #445804 06/19/22 11:42 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I think you guys should try it out. I would be surprised if Axiom didnt have a resisor in with the mute delay cct to keep inrush under control.

They are class D amps, so once up and running no issue.

MMM #445814 06/20/22 04:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not sure what you’re saying Trever … a resistor in the mute delay circuitry (cct=circuitry?)
Think Axiom just doesn’t turn on the amps till the power supply is up … if that is what your thinking

A soft start circuit allows the fields in the transformer to slowly build up.
If there was a soft start circuit in there your lights wouldn’t dim and the amp wouldn’t make as large a sound on startup (if any).

MMM #445816 06/20/22 06:00 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
The ADAs incorporate an RC soft-start circuit that limits linear power supply inrush current for 1 to 2 seconds.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
1 member likes this: aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Mojo #445817 06/20/22 06:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by Mojo
The ADAs incorporate an RC soft-start circuit that limits linear power supply inrush current for 1 to 2 seconds.
Well that’s interesting …
how do you know?
Did you look inside? …
also doesn’t seem to be staged (i.e. A single in-rush by the sound of it)

chesseroo #445993 08/04/22 05:41 PM
local
local
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I have yet to search, but has anyone come across a good quality power bar that uses a remote switch of some sort?
I'd be open to implementing that in the two rooms in which our amps sit idle sucking juice.

This might work: a $20 Geeni smart timer. I bought this as an outdoor block heater timer because it's good to 1875W. It easily paid for itself in the first month, and the wifi works like a charm even in -35ºC.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/geeni-geeni-outdoor-duo-double-wi-fi-smart-plug/1001343653

Once you download the app on your smartphone, you login with a new account or a Google account, and you can set the timer to the minute. Each of the two plugs can have the timer set individually, and you can even rename them so you don't have to memorize which was on the left or right plug. If your phone has an internet connection, you can turn them on or off remotely.

Because it's an app, you can set the most convoluted schedule you want, and it allows for having multiple smart Geeni plugs around the house for anything you don't want on all the time (lights, aquarium pumps, audio equipment, etc). It won't work for devices that only go into standby when powered on.

This morning I moved the wireless router out of the living room. It was there out of inertia because the TV and cable box used to be in that corner. The new Wifi 6 router gets hot, and I figured it was better heating the basement. I was never happy with the sub's power plug interrupting the drape of the curtains, and needed an L-shaped plug as a solution. I remembered I had the Geeni in summer storage, and configured it for subwoofer duty. I programmed the sub to turn off when not in use. So I fixed my curtain, vampire drain, summer A/C, and basement winter heating issues at the same time. smile

https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/gallery/15/full/1647.jpg

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"
MMM #445996 08/04/22 08:25 PM
C
veteran
veteran
C
Now when everything else is powered off, you get the glowing to green dots of light in your room mocking you that you can't automatically turn off the DSP.

Have you tried using your DSPs with the rear power switch on but the front switch in the off position?

On my DSPs all the front switch does is turn the LED on/off. No more no less and this was confirmed with Andrew.

Now I did get my Actives pretty early on and my lights are blue dots not green, so this may have changed but it is certainly how mine work.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters