2022 was a good year for K-pop. I started 2019 not knowing a thing about the genre, and got hooked after discovering Standing Egg. I’ve kept at it, and found roughly 60 songs in 2022 worth listening to twice, which meant I probably grinded through 3000 of druck to find them.https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMhxZS3AJWdAID5PTy3-eDqCXrUrwlfKk
- “Haru” and “Delight” by PL. I had both songs on loop.
- Heize always impresses, with “Mother”, “I Don’t Lie”, and “Supercar”. No bonkers music video from her this year though (see 2019’s “We don’t talk together”).
- “Focus on Me” by Cha Eun-Woo
- “An Ordinary Day” by Weatherboat
- “Panorama” by Lee Chan Euk. His “debut” album after a decade with sister as the AKMU duo that won a TV talent show in 2012. The music video doesn’t make sense until you turn on the english close captions…and realize that the lyrics follow what’s happening onscreen.
- “Glitch” and “Underwater” by Kwon Eun Bi
- My summer favorite was “Body Lotion” by J’Kyun. The lyrics are non-sensical, and the video can be jarring to social conservatives. All I can say is, Camelee can dance!
- Best bass line was “Lucid Dream” by JY, “Domino” by D.Van, “Do You Wanna Get Down” by Lunarsolar, and “Gaslighting” by Ruru.
Nothing from Blackpink, BTS nor IU though. I just don’t see their appeal.