Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need a bit of advice
#44762 05/04/04 01:31 PM
OP Offline
My wife and I just bought a new house and I am taking this as an opportunity to upgrade my HT setup. I am currrently looking to setup a 6.1 and get the HK AVR-7200 with an Axiom setup that would consist of M80(2), VP150(1), and QS8(3). I currently have a JBL S-120PII 12' Sub that I am happy with to match up with the setup. After board trolling for the past few weeks, I feel confident that Axiom is what I want to go with. So I turn to you guys for a bit of help with the final decisions.

The new family is an HT nightmare, in that it is roughly 10' x 20' with a cathedral ceiling and the back right corner (Facing the main wall) of the room is non-existent as it opens to the large open area that consists of the kitchen. To make matters worst, there is a fire place that fills the front left corner of the main wall, and it subsequently offsets my TV and soon to be speakers. Needless to say it's driving me crazy. Nonethess, I am determined to make it work. With that being said here are my concerns I was hoping you guys might be able to help otu with.

- The front mains will be floor standing, after a long debate with the wife. This is to avoid the clutter on the wall. I graciously gave in to her request, considering the what I have read regarding the M80's. So the first problem is, the M80 will be rough 5-6 feet apart, is this enough distance from one another to achieve a desireable soundstage with these speakers?

-The right and left QS8 surrounds will be mounted wall flush about a foot in front and to the side of the listening position. I have a good 3-4 feet bettwen the listending position and each of the two surrounds. They will also be about 7 feet off the ground. I am sort of locked into this location due to wall availability on the right side of the room, remember I lose my right rear corner to the dreaded kitchen. So, does this placement sound way off at all? Also will flush mounting them be a problem, or should I consider mounting the QS8's at more of an angle to compensate for the hieght?

-Finally, for the center rear. This will be mounted wall flush directly rear of the listening position and at the same height as the surrounds. I have about 2 feet between the rear center and the listening position. So I am wondering should I go with a QS8 or an M2 back there. Any thoughts? Seems that I risk the "Firing over the head" issue and may need to mount on an angle.

I really appreciate any assistance that you guys can provide. It is really these smaller questions delaying me from hitting the order button. =) Thanks guys and have a great day!

Marc
Re: Need a bit of advice
#44763 05/04/04 03:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm no expert, but I'll pass along what I think to be the general consensus of what I've learned here. There well could be other views passed along to you. It's your choice.

It would be helpful to know roughly how far the center of the listening area(the sweet spot) will be from each M80. Ideally, that distance will be the same as the distance between the M80s themselves; i.e. M80s 5-6 feet apart, sweet spot 5-6 feet from each M80. It's my guess, without knowing how far back from the M80s, and TV, the listening area will be, that 5-6 feet will be a bit narrow. We don't live in an ideal world, and often, because of room dimensions and/or furniture placement, the ideal is unachievable. Don't drive yourself nuts over it.

I own the M60s, and have never heard the M80s, so I cannot speak with authority, but the M80s are considered finicky when it comes to placement. It has been stated that a few inches forward/back, to one side or the other can make a big difference. Having some room to adjust their position would be desirable.

The QS8 positioning you propose sounds OK. Ideally, they should be placed on the side walls "slightly" behind the listening area, or, if that's not feasible, "slightly" in front of the listening area, as you intend. Their height is recommended to be between 1 and 4 feet above your ears. I would think 7 feet up would fall into that range, albeit, at the top edge. Flush mounting would be fine. The QS8 send sound to the sides, up and down to create a diffuse sound pattern. You don't need to aim them at the listening area, but may do so if you wish.

When using only a single rear surround, it is generally considered optimum to use a QS series speaker. It has been said that when using a single direct radiating speaker (like the M2) in the rear, the sound from the speaker "appears" to be coming from the front rather than the rear. Here, as with the side surrounds, flush mounting is fine. That will provide the diffuse "surrounding" affect you desire. Aiming it is acceptable, if you prefer. If you were using two rear surrounds, the M2s might be a better choice, particularly if you would be listening to a lot of SACDs and DVD-As.

Using the Axiom stands, the optional Axiom Full Metal Bracket, or OmniMount Ceiling or wall brackets could give you more placement options.

Hope I've helped.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#44764 05/04/04 03:53 PM
OP Offline
Jack,

Thanks for the reply. I was already torn between the M80 and the M60, and the mroe I read today I think the M60 may be more appropiate for my 10' x 20' room. Also I am hoping that the M60's will allow me more flexibilty in obtaining the best possible soundstage given my placement constrictions. The listening position will be slightly out of proportion in that it will be roughly 8' - 10' feet in comparison to the 5-6 feet of seperation between the M60's. So I am sort of hoping that the M60's will be less 'finnciky' and allow me to get the best possible soundstage.

I was thinking that the rear center would be a QS8, given my room's design and funriture layout. Just wanted to get some additional thoughts.

Thanks for your helpful feedback!

Last edited by manthony; 05/04/04 03:54 PM.

Marc
#44765 05/04/04 03:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You're welcome Marc. Hopefully others will provide any corrections or additions to what I've passed along to you.

Jack

#44766 05/04/04 04:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Marc,
At present i have the M60s, set about 6 feet apart and we sit about 8-9' away on the couch. This is the ABSOLUTE minimum distance setup i would recommend to anyone. I have found that when i can actually get the speakers further apart, the soundstage was alot less finicky for placement. Sitting that close to the M60s also presents a bit of a 'in your face' sound when the volume is turned higher.
If you can get the M60s beyond the 6' distance, you should be good for sitting anywhere from 8-14' away.
You cannot go wrong with the QSx series of speakers, especially in odd rooms.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#44767 05/04/04 04:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree that the M80's wouldn't be your best choice for that room. M60's would be better. (Perhaps even M40's or M50's?)

Three QS series surrounds are your best bet for 6.1 as well. Like was previously stated, the M2i are rear fx speakers are great if in a pair. With the size of your room, and how close the surrounds will be to you, you could probably easily get away with the QS4's as well.

Good luck!

#44768 05/04/04 04:57 PM
veteran
veteran
Marc

My family room is approximately 10' by 20' with a 7-1/2' ceiling. I have M60's about 6' apart and the sound is excellent.

Sean

Exaudio ergo cogito ergo sum
#44769 05/04/04 06:13 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I can't really disagree with anything here so far.

I think the QS8's positioned as you said will be fabulous! No worries about the height, or about flush-mounting them on the wall.

And I think M60's will be a good choice for that room, especially since you can't get too far away from them and have limited options relative to placement.

So, order up already!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#44770 05/06/04 03:09 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for all the advice guys! I finally overcame the WAF and I am ready to pull the trigger on my order. So I will be odering the M60ti(2), VP150(1), and QS8(3) to run with my HK AVR-7200 and JBL S120pii sub. I will post pics as soon as I get em. Thanks again! =)

Marc
#44771 05/06/04 03:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You're welcome, Marc.

You'll have the same system as I do, except for my HSU STF-2 sub. I only have two QS8s at the moment, but will probably be adding a third unless I get a 7.1 receiver. Not likely, on my budget.

I'll be eagerly awiting your thoughts, and the pics. Enjoy!

Jack

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020