Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
more comments and questions...(again long)
#4583 07/26/02 06:48 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
First of all, thanks to those who read my lengthly review. I could have went on even more...which I'll most likely do in this post

Since then, I've popped in a few more of my favorite cds (I can't keep away from these speakers and they are keeping me from doing my daily chores!). I'm enjoying this new sound a lot!

The only trouble I've been having is positioning the speakers for optimum sound. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my speakers are just over 5' apart and I sit about 13' in front of them. I cannot put these speakers anywhere else. Believe me, I've tried! There's just too many obstacles in the way.

Anyway, a lot of the reviews I've read about these speakers mention they had to toe them in. I've tried all kinds of toe-in degrees because it seemed only right. Well, in my case, this rule doesn't seem to apply. Come to think of it, my Infinity's had no toe-in either and they imaged fairly well. But the Axiom's seem like they are pickier than the Infinity's. Does anyone else think their Axiom's are a bit picky, or is it just me? I ended up placing them about an inch more out in front than where the Infinity's sat and with maybe about an eight of an inch of toe-in. It's strange, but those VERY minor movements make a difference! Is that normal? I swear that when I move them just a wee bit more (like another eight inch) from this position, things go a little out of wack. The RS4's seemed more forgiving. Is it because the RS4's are not a full range speaker (basically a bookshelf with built on stand)? Also, why no toe-in? I'm thinking it's all relevant to the size of the speakers, the distance apart, and the distance to the listening position. It all sounds logical, but I could be wrong. How I have them now, things sound pretty good...instruments seem like they're where they should be and the vocals are centered.

There seems to be a larger soundstange from the Axiom's than with my Infinity's. I don't have to sit in the middle of the couch to tell where the sounds are. For example, if the vocals are centered between the speakers, they stay there. I don't hear more vocal from the left speaker just because I sit more to the left on the couch. Is this what is considered good soundstage? I'm assuming this is how it should be.

Sorry for all the questions! I've been lurking on this board for over six months and have felt guilty about getting all kinds of information here since I didn't own Axiom speakers. Now that I own them, I'll be asking away!

Thanks again!
Mary

One more thing...I went to reconnect the speakers by removing my blotched job banana clips. I decided to go bare wire until I find a better way. Anyway, how I did it was by unscrewing the binding posts and sticking the end of the wire through the hole in the screw and then tightening them down (this is probably not the best way, but it works for now). To make a long story short (if that's at all possible for me!), there was NO hole in one of the screws on one of the speakers. I had to use the other set of posts. It's not that big of a deal since I'll probably go back to banana plugs (which is better, plugs or spades? HA!HA!), but I found it a bit odd.

OK, one more *cool* thing...I was listening to an acoustic version (just vocal and guitar) of John Mayer's song, "Neon", and I got concerned about a vibration from the speakers like some driver was loose or maybe that my walls were vibrating. Well, it turns out that it was just the guitar strings coming out loud and clear. I thought, "keep on vibrating!"

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
Re: more comments and questions...(again long)
#4584 07/26/02 08:53 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Kind if funny that you should mention the vibrating. I was listening to Unkle Kracker, Follow Me which has a fair amount of acoustic guitar in it. I heard the same thing!!!! I immediately thought my amp was clipping but I didn't even have the volume up to 1/3. I threw in some acoustic Alice and Chains and figured out the same thing you did. I have to admit I chuckled at my paranoia.

Colesy

Re: more comments and questions...(again long)
#4585 07/26/02 09:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Geez, and they say i like to type alot.

Positioning is kinda tweaky. Something i noted in my M60 review as well, so you're not alone.
Chek out this link to a page from an Angstrom booklet (taken from a What? Hifi magazine) on how to setup speakers in your room according to distances.
I used it as a starting point myself.
link to the booklet pic on speaker setup according to wall distances

From that point on is when i started to tweak and toe things a bit since my distances appear to be similar to your own (speakers 5 feet apart, but my listening position maxed out at 8 feet).
my home pics for reference
Once i was done my adjusting however, i found the sweet spot to be about 4 feet wide on my 8 foot couch which is pretty good for such a small room setup.

As for the banana plug thing, there are plugs out there which are crampable making the wire to plug connection an easy little fix. Soldering is definitely for those who want headaches, but the challenge was fun.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters