Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New Harmony Remote
#46016 05/14/04 10:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
NeverHappy,

I have an MX-500....I love it. I was wondering about the devices the Harmony handles.

#46017 05/14/04 11:10 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Ken - the MX-700 is an absolutely wonderful remote. I moved up from the MX-500. It can control 20 different components and I love the ergonomics. Take a look at the review on Remote Central. BTW, I got mine as an open box at SurfRemoteControl (Axiom-like Customer service). The retail is around $350, but the open box was $200. They open them to test commands for components and the like. Quite a thread on Remote Central relative to the open box and the comments, to a person, indicate they arrive in pristine condition, much the same as Axiom Factory Outlet speakers.

If the wife is heavy on the "one button" thing, this puppy delivers handily (sorry - no pun intended ). The macro capability is fabulous and you program the thing on your PC. Remote Central has a tremendous number of files you can download & copy in. You can use Pronto .ccf files (my preference) and drag/drop individual commands.

Two major things to consider. I have a one-button macro for each device. The SAT(satellite) macro turns on the TV, SAT receiver, Denon receiver, flips the TV to the correct VID, flips the Denon to the correct audio and I'm ready to go - one button.

Also set up a device called "SWITCH". This was done for self-protection from my wife. "How do I go from the satellite to the DVD player?" I set up macros for the permutatiuons to go from what you are watching/listening to the what you want to get to to watch and listen to. For example SAT_DV turns off SAT, flips the TV to the DVD VID, flips the Denon to the DVD audio, turns on the DVD and opens the tray. All she needs to do is drop the DVD in the drawer.

You might be picking up my extreme pleasure with the MX-700. It is remarkable. tomtuttle has recently picked one up and I believe he likes his as well.

If you go the the Files section at Remote Central and get into the MX-700 section, you will be able to download the MX-Editor software and play with it (I actually did most of the programming while the remote was in transit) and the Programming Manual. Give this one a hard look, it is a worthy choice.

#46018 05/14/04 11:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, since Ray ratted me out, I better chime in.

The MX-700 does not make julienne fries, nor will it pour me another cold beer. However, it will seemingly blast any conceivable combination of flashes at whatever device(s) you like, using whatever button takes your fancy.

It is uber-capable. The hardest part for me was deciding how I wanted to implement all that functionality. You can, literally, control your system any way you want to. I liked the idea of being able to use the PC to program and then download the commands. It also has learning capability, of course.

I really like the ability to LCD-label the set of 10 hard buttons at the top of the remote. You can have four *pages* of these commands per device (and up to 20 devices, I think), plus the huge set of hard buttons (again, device-relevant) on the bottom. The labeling, on a highly legible and backlit LCD, allowed me to put whatever commands I wanted there, without having to remember anything cryptic about their meanings.

I got a factory second from the place Ray mentioned. It was pristine and arrived quickly.

It is a VERY good remote. My wife is much happier now, which is really the measure of success on most things, especially this one.

I would be remiss if I did not publicly thank Ray for his very real and meaningful assistance in helping me get my MX-700 up and running. He graciously gave me the precious gift of his time, and I remain grateful.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#46019 05/14/04 11:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I understand that best buy carries the Harmony but they're not authorized. No biggie cause you can always return it. The 30 day is from Harmony direct.

If you are curious about the devices supported, try the test drive online.

It's a personal preference (like speakers), the Harmony users vs Pronto users vs MX-500/MX-700 vs anything else. Best thing is to try it at home. Who knows, you may even like the 659 which is heavily discounted now.

#46020 05/15/04 12:14 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Well, Tom - gosh That kind of thing is just fun to do, so I took quite a but of pleasure from it. Ken, if you get one, I'll offer my help and I'll bet Tom would throw in as well. BTW - do take a look at the Harmony 659, it is often mentioned in the MX-700 in the "which remote should I get" threads.

#46021 05/15/04 03:23 PM
aficionado
aficionado
what we old cheap farts do if we have a pc w/out a usb port? and no, buying a newer pc is not an option.
dan

#46022 05/15/04 04:27 PM
old hand
old hand
Install an add-on card which has USB ports.

#46023 05/15/04 06:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I own and love my MX-500. I did the "test drive" on the Harmony site.

I am very surprised at the number of devices in their database. I just got a new Sherwood/Newcastle P-965, it has only been widely available for no more than a month and a half.....and it is in the database.

I am tempted to try one out.

#46024 05/15/04 08:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That was one of the main things that sold me on the Harmony to begin with, Curtis. I have a cheap, Radio Shack-only brand of VCR - Optimus (at least I think it's Rat Shack only). It's made by Panasonic, and never once have I ever had a manual/universal remote that had seperate Optimus codes in the listing. I was very impressed, and since buying it, have been extremely happy with it.

"Chickens don't clap."
#46025 05/16/04 01:19 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Ray, would you be able to speak a bit to the advantages you see in the 700 vs the 500? I recently picked up the 500 and I'm w/in the 30 day return. It was a good price - the 700 open box would be about $50 more for me and I'm looking for reasons to go that route.

I can see the enhanced programming ability via the pc and I also note a few improvements as to the layout of the buttons. Any other improvements that you feel justify the additl. expense?

Thanks much

btw, does anyone know what the remote code is for the yamaha 1400? If the code is not in the list for the 500 would it even recognize it? or do I need to do the "learn" routine?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters