Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Thanks for the help!
#46147 05/18/04 04:19 PM
devotee
devotee
I just called H/K and talked to them about this. It truely is supposed to take over in the lower Hz range and leave the rest of the range alone when you set the speakers to small (i.e. - if you set your x-over to 80 Hz, the sub gets 80 down and the speakers get 80 and up.) I KNOW it's not doing that on my receiver. It's tinkering above the 80 Hz range. Way above. So, either my receiver is partly malfunctioning (which I'm going to test tonight with my Avia disk), or the people at H/K never really tested their equipment very good Either way, my rig sounds fantastic right now, but if there's room for improvement...I'm there. I'll keep you posted on my findings Din, as it will benefit both of us.
No matter what though. You have fantastic stuff there and you will be supremely happy! I know I am

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
#46148 05/18/04 05:35 PM
Din Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi Again,

Can any of you HK630 users out there let me know if I need to buy plugs or clips to plug the speaker wires into the receiver and into the speakers?

Can I just use raw speaker wire ends? I want to have everything set up for when the packages come in.

"HK 630, M60's, QS8's, M22's, VP150, SVS 20-39PCi, Denon 2200, Hitachi 50V500"
#46149 05/18/04 05:42 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
din-

you could just use bare speaker wire, but it is not recommended.. you should always use some speaker connectors if able.

there is another thread here dealing with this exact topic. it is being discussed in the 'technical questions' section of the forum. there are some great links on this particular thread to give you an idea of what you might be looking to do.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
DIY Cables
#46150 05/18/04 06:04 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Or you can DIY

#46151 05/18/04 06:31 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

you could just use bare speaker wire, but it is not recommended..

Umm.. I recommend it. Only reasons I can see using any sort of connector is for ease of changing them out (but I'm assuming your HT isn't going to come with you when you go visiting) or in a case where, due to big meaty flanges (guys with meathooks for hands, like me - fine motor skills are not my forte) it might be hard to work in the confined spaces of the back panel of your receiver.

It amazes me how somehow terminated speaker wire is considered "normal" with the extra solder or screw-down connection at each end, but no one would ever think of running two shorter wire lengths and using a marette/wire nut to cinch them together. Advertising has a strange way of making you see one splice as good and another splice as bad.

Does either make an audible difference? Nah. Does either provide more protection from oxidation? Nah. You'll end up touching the bare copper and putting finger oils on it quite a bit to get it in a screwdown banana plug. It's a matter of convenience.

Bren R.

#46152 05/18/04 06:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

due to big meaty flanges (guys with meathooks for hands, like me - fine motor skills are not my forte)

thats me!! and when i was setting up my speakers, when i first tried to wind the speaker wire around the posts, i could never get a good connection.

so in a nut shell, with bare wireing with a good connection, will you have a diminished sound, no.. will it be a lot easier with terminated speaker wire, hell yes.

although, with my QS8's, they wouldnt fit on the wall mount with banana plugs, so i just stuck the bare wire in the hole, and screwed it down.. i can only work with what i am given.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#46153 05/18/04 06:53 PM
devotee
devotee
Hey Din. To reply to your question...my last receiver I used connectors. With the H/K...I'm just using bare wire. Why? Because as has already been stated...it doesn't make any audible difference and I had money to save up for a subwoofer at the time rather than drop $$$ on connectors. At least that's my impression. So here I am. Proof that you can fit 12 gauge wire just fine into the 630. Albeit, it would be a lot easier to have connectors on the end so when your receiver comes in...pop, pop, pop, they're in and you're ready to get rolling. But fitting the bare wire in is not that difficult.
The only tricky thing you'll run into is the bi-wiring (if you so choose that option). I did and was able to stick both wires into each of my left and right channels. Bare wired - one up and one down (both sides of the binding post). When you get your receiver, you'll know what I'm talking about. And if you don't, feel free to send my a PM (personal message) and ask me to elaborate or translate .

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
#46154 05/18/04 07:09 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I went from bare wire to banana plugs only because it is stupidly convenient for me since I tend to move stuff around. Screw screw screw screw screw, twist twist twist twist twist, poke into a little hole, screw screw screw screw screw is a huge pain when you are talking about doing it 20 times!
I heard absolutely NO difference in sound quality with the plugs.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#46155 05/18/04 07:17 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

is a huge pain when you are talking about doing it 20 times!

Whoa... hmm... assuming that you don't have to disconnect a speaker if you keep it on the same wall, 20 times divided by 4 walls, your setup has been on each wall 5 different times?

Bren R.

#46156 05/18/04 07:21 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
flanges or phalanges?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16