Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hsu VTF-2
#46944 05/29/04 02:07 AM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

That's the third time I've read about getting down on all fours to find the sweet spot for the sub. I'm going to do it, but in the back of my mind I know you guys are really just having fun at my expense.

No... We'll save that for later when we invite you to the snipe hunt.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#46945 05/29/04 12:06 PM
buff
buff
Michael,
Thanks for the invite but to tell you the truth I've been snipe hunting twice with no luck whatsoever. Quite frankly, I think you snipe hunters are a little clueless.

#46946 05/29/04 01:05 PM
devotee
devotee
What were you using for bait? Northern snipes like their bait covered in BBQ sauce, honey, or ketchup. The southern, or Tex Mex snipe, prefers guacamole.

Also what libation did the hunting party have prior to, and during the hunt? Snipes HATE to see flashlight beams shining through brown glass. If you were drinking beer out of brown bottles, you had no chance at all. Next time, have the hunting party put the brewskis in those colored plastic cups. The light won't shine through them and scare the snipes off.

Oh... if you were smoking... They only like cherry flavored pipe smoke. Every other kind will run them off.

Better luck next time.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#46947 05/29/04 02:21 PM
buff
buff
We were after Eastern snipe. The Eastern snipe prefer two-thick inch ribeye steaks, so I was told to bring a few pounds. They must have been aware of the brown bottle thing because they had me bring Heineken. There was much debate about the smoke but the consensus was mesquite. But even the fire they set to flush the prey my way backfired. When I returned to the camp site the smoke apparently had attracted the snipe, who devoured all the steak and drank all the Heineken. All the others had left. I guess they had bagged the limit.
I'll try some of your suggestions. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

#46948 05/29/04 09:02 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
While you guys may enjoy the hunt, I simply like the taste of snipe. We have a local bar who does a Friday night snipe fry in beer batter. Talk about heaven!! I believe he gets his stock from a snipe farm where they feed them sorghum. Nothing better than a mess of fresh filet-o-snipe.

I was fortunate to become friendly with the owner and he saves the snipe skin for me. I have it tanned and we have several pieces of furniture covered in snipe. I prefer naugahyde, but it is difficult to find since the nauga has become extinct.

#46949 06/01/04 03:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
west texas snipe must have a sweet tooth, cause they prefer double stuff oreos. those suckers will almost tear your arm off trying to get to those cream filled chocolate wafers. and the sugar makes the meat taste good. ya gotta slow BBQ em though. low heat, 200F-225F degrees, for 4-6 hours.. the meat pulls right off the bone.

and ray, use the skin to line the inside of your jacket pockets. helps keep your hands warm on those cold winter morning hunting trips.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#46950 06/01/04 05:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That's very interesting. Most snipe here in California will go for avacado. Though there are some types in southern California that like silicone (yeah it's weird but it works).
Up here in the north you can attract the local variety pretty easily with any sort of 'organic' fruit or vegetables. If you plan to head further north than SF (say humboldt county) you'd be wise to get some 'sticky bud' and doritos.
jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#46951 06/02/04 01:38 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
spongeworthy (a nicknam spawned for Puddy on Seinfeld. Patrick Warburton. He played "The Tick" as well). Aside from the culinary descriptions involving variants of the elusive snipe, have you had any success positioning the sub?

#46952 06/02/04 12:23 PM
buff
buff
Hey Ray,
The Seinfeld reference is correct but it was coined for a potential mate of Elaine's not Puddy. Puddy, coincidentally is my cat (I tawt I saw).
I went back and tried to find where I had read about the crawling method to find a good spot for the sub. It was in a review about the Epic 80 and then right in front of me in the owners manual for the EP350. It did work. Originally I thought placement wouldn't matter because the room is barely big enough to warrant the Epic 80 and the volume knob took care of most problems. There was still a hole in the bass occasionally.
The sub is now on the same wall with the VP 150 and the M80's. I was concerned about a wall of sound but it isn't overwhelming. There may be one better spot but logistically it doesn't work. Additionally, I set the M80's to the large setting with the L+F LRE. This was suggested in other posts and confirmed when I found the newsletter archives yesterday. The article said to use the laege settings for M60's and 80's. Between the two the result has been stunning. There isn't a need to "dial up" over any holes in the sound. It sound so good that sometimes I catch myself chuckling and saying "Would you listen to that!".
I wish to extend a hearty thank you to all you folks. A lot of good advice around here, minus the condescending remarks from those who know it all and aren't afraid to show it.
Next up...crossovers. I'm having some problems with the English/French settings. "Haut-Parleur de Performance Superieur?". "Wee!".
I am so friggin' happy. Take care everyone.

#46953 06/02/04 02:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I'm having some problems with the English/French settings. "Haut-Parleur de Performance Superieur?". "Wee!".

As long as the display never reads "Pardonnez-moi, monsieur, mais il y a un requin dans ton souliers!" you're fine. (for the monolingual - "Excuse me, mister, but there is a shark in your shoes").

Bren R.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,034 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup