Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...
#48121 06/04/04 07:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Same here PapaJim.
About 9 months ago I got the upgrade itch. First I got a new receiver. I went from an open box sony w/o a remote to an Onkyo 601 (on sale for about $350 total). I then decided I need new speakers. So I read up on a whole slew of speakers, most of which were waaaay outside my price range.
I kept seeing two names that fit my price range. Axiom and Ascend. I auditioned the Axioms after reading a lot of positive reviews on hometheaterforum, avsforum, thespot, hometheaterspot. Even the negative reviews were more about personal preference than true shortcomings (at least as I read it). I had intended to also audition the Ascends, but they are just plain butt ugly and I am just metro enough to care. Plus I loved my M22s from the get go so I was hooked and stupidly happy.
I've also been just waiting for my younger brother to get his own place so I have an excuse to buy him his first pair. Same goes for the youngest sister.

jr

prostelitizing convert not salesman

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#48122 06/04/04 07:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh Jim! If you only knew what you're getting yourself into; both by coming to this forum for advice (there a lot of looneys around here), and by becoming interested in the latest technological advances. So get a tight hold on your wallet, be brave and lets begin.

CNET has a quick guide to surround formats.

Dolby will have more info.

This will have info on home Theater as well as audio.

And finally, here are links to 800 million articles about everything you ever wanted to know, and a whole bunch you didn't.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#48123 06/04/04 07:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Actually, Papa, I can only vouch for myself.

I am not an employee of Axiom.

As for all those other guys... I think they're ALL the same person. I think they're all psuedonyms of Brent at Axiom.

#48124 06/04/04 07:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Hehe. Even your brother?

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#48125 06/04/04 07:46 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Hah! I can tell I'm going to like it here. Usually my being a smartass is a BAD thing, but I can see it will help me fit right in here! Oh, and I meant SALES SCUM in the most affectionate way possible, I mean considering that they are Salesman and Scum. :-/

(Where the hell are the smilies in this place???)

#48126 06/04/04 07:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Smilies ar pretty much a do it yourself thing around here.

In reply to:

Usually my being a smartass is a BAD thing, but I can see it will help me fit right in here!

NAH! Your just catching us on a good day. Wait until the fur starts to fly! HAH!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#48127 06/04/04 08:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yeah, just talk about the sonic quailty of your cables or the warmth of your solid state amp.

jr

#48128 06/04/04 08:08 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

I feel like Data when he would interface with an unknown computer.

Are you talking about episode 4.3 or 7.3/7.4?

j/k

#48129 06/04/04 08:26 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Been reading all morning now and I think I've hit data saturation point. My cross-over's are starting to blur into Bi-poles and it's all sounding like BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

And I guess you guys weren't kidding. I'm terrified. Looks like I gots to throw most of my stuff out and start over. It even looks like I'm might have to redesign my living room. And the wife and kids? They'll all have to go. They cost too much.

But being a self-respecting obsessive compulsive, I'm having to fight that primal urge that tells me to run down to BestBuy and just buy it all right NOW! Must control urges. Must survive. Must have better sounds. (man it's crowded in here)

But realistically, where do you start? Should I get a special receiver that has 5.1? Some of my existing speakers can be used in the new configuration until I can afford the specialzed bi-whatever surround thingees right? Right now I've got a decent sub-woofer wired directly to a "sub-woofer out" jack on my DVD player and it sounds really cool. Of course it ISN'T part of my audio stereo system. I have 2 bookshelf speakers wired to a standard stereo receiver that is JUST used for the DVD/Video sound. Those bookshelves sit on top of my much larger audio speakers that are used by another receiver dedicated to (you guessed it) just audio. And then there's another set of those big audio speakers in the remaining two corners of the room. Can I use some of that? Where do I start?

And another serious question: I actually ran some speaker wires under the carpet when we last got carpet installed, but there isn't a clean shot to half the room because of a door way coming into the living room. How do you run wires under the rug without demolishing the carpet? Why aren't speakers all wireless??????

#48130 06/04/04 08:46 PM
Unless your current electronics are absolute crap (like they're oozing goo and melting), then I always recommend buying the main (front left and right) speakers first. They will give you instant results.

Then, I'd move on to a new receiver, then center and surrounds, then sub. OR, you can do the sub before the surrounds and center -- your choice.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 453 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup