Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thanks & One More DAC Question & More!
#50569 06/30/04 02:11 AM
shareholder in the making
Actually, I believe that the jack is a combo digital/analog jack, so it's not quite a 2.5" headphone jack. If the contact is made, it shouldn't make a difference, esp with digital. (Yeah, I said it. Deal.)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#50570 06/30/04 02:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I couldn't hear a difference between the Denon 480x and 280x when I was demo-ing receivers. Don't worry about it. Save some money to impress one of those hot little coeds with a dinner and show or something (maybe a trip to out to the Rose Bowl? Oops! forgot about OSU ).

#50571 06/30/04 02:39 AM
Josh, as I've commented a couple of times here, I use the Xitel(stereo)Hi Fi link in a two-channel setup to feed the digital output from the computer's USB output port to the stereo inputs on my receiver. Typically, whenever I'm at the computer I use this to listen to streaming classical stations from all over the world. I didn't need the more expensive Pro version, but I'd think that it's exactly what you need(and again, the DACs are no problem).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#50572 06/30/04 08:17 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ray3 -
Thanks for the suggestion! When I was searching old posts on these boards, I found out about ecost.com and I really like it. I've discovered that they have refurbished Denon 884s (same as the 1804) for just $260, so my plan is to go with that and save an extra $20. Every little bit helps when you've got tuition to pay

---

oldskoolboarder -
As I pointed out above, I'm going to be using the Xitel Pro Hi-Fi Link to connect my iMac to my stereo. It is a USB Audio device that circumvents the soundcard and has both analog and digital outputs. Using the included optical cable, I should be getting an exact digital copy of the CD audio information into the digital input of the Denon 884. The Hi-Fi Link also supports Dolby Digital and DTS Surround Sound, which is where advanced DACs would be potentially advantageous.

---

kcarlie -
The jack on the Airport Express is a combo digital/analog jack (which I don't quite understand), you are correct. However, I have definitely decided to go with the Xitel -- which has a traditional optical out port -- instead.

---

BigWill -
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Denons. I'm almost completely set on the 1804/884 now.

What sort of source were you using when you auditioned them, though? I only ask because it seems to me -- and I might be wrong; I'm no expert -- that the higher quality DACs would only make a difference with very high-quality audio formats (DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, vinyl).

I should also note that I've been fortunate enough to find a hot little coed who will be more impressed by my stereo than by any food I might buy her, although we have similar taste in shows of both the film and concert variety. Sometimes, though, I worry that she's just dating me because of the size of my... record collection.

And I went to the Rose Bowl last year. What a bummer. I'm hoping Gutierrez will help bring us out of the Navarre slump.

---

JohnK -
I'm glad to hear from someone with experience with Xitel products. It's reassuring.

How do you like internet radio? I find that most of the stations stream at bitrates far too low to be pleasant to listen to, but lately I've been seeing some 128 kbps mp3 streams, which isn't bad at all, considering. In fact, the student radio station I DJ at here in Ann Arbor -- WCBN 88.3 FM -- has just such a stream. I don't play much classical, but if you're ever awake and bored on a Thursday night / Friday morning between 3:00 and 6:00 AM EST, you should listen to my show. You'd probably be the only person doing so

---

Well, everyone, I think I'm about ready to start placing my orders. I'll be sure to take pictures and let you all know how it turns out.

#50573 06/30/04 09:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh this young man is gonna fit in around here just fine. Because of the size of his....record collection, I'll even overlook the fact that he's from "that school up North." That's right young fella! I'm an OSU alumnus. TA DA!

And JohnK, because you're a Browns fan, I'll overlook the fact that you said "Go ----" earlier in this thread which caused my monitor to fog up, and gave me a serious case of the vapors. How anyone can be a Browns fan, AND a fan of "that school up North" is beyond me!

P.S. Josh, thank you for the tip on the Xitel Pro Hi-Fi Link. Mine arrives tomorrow. (If it's any consolation, I was born in Royal Oak, and I'm a former disc jockey; radio not parties. )

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#50574 06/30/04 09:31 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
jack-

if you were to mention 'OSU' around these parts, everyone would think you were talking about oklahoma state univ in stillwater.. its all BIG 12 down here.. i know there are some big rivalry games 'up north', but you dont know rivalry til you go to a UT-vs-Tex A&M game.. its not just a game, its an experience.

can ya tell i am jonesing for football season??

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#50575 06/30/04 10:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

can ya tell i am jonesing for football season??

Me too. Pro training camps start in a month or so!

If we were on the west coast, they'd think I was talking about Oregon State. It's all very confusing.

I don't doubt the UT/ Tex A&M rivalry is a fierce one. But, trust me, it could well match, but could never top, the OSU/"that school up North" rivalry. Right Josh & John? It thought the big rivalry down there was Oklahoma/Texas. Has that cooled down?

Apologies for the hijacked thread Josh, but it's your fault for attending that school. Besides, you've already decided to get the Axioms. Right?

Jack

#50576 06/30/04 10:54 PM
Okay, Jack and Josh. First, Josh, the "Go Blue", as you may have suspected is because I'm a U.of M. graduate(law school), am a nut about football(coached 5 years in high school as a volunteer), and don't share Woody's feelings(who allegedly once pushed his stalled car out of Michigan and into Ohio to get gas). Also, of course, Go Browns!

Next, Josh, good decision; that 884 is an excellent buy. Since you're at the station now maybe you can get them to replace those "Annoy" studio speakers with Axioms. Yes, the sound quality of the streaming stations is mediocre at best, but the music is the bottom line, and using this site , easily the best I've ever found, I can enjoy classical music from all over the world.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#50577 07/01/04 12:46 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
jack-

oklahoma/texas is still very big. its the 'red river shootout' as we like to call it around here.. its just that, them okies have kicked the longhorns tails the last 4-5 years. if WE would have been winning those games, then it would be bigger.. just find an okie, and ask him how big that game is in oklahoma. HUGE.. its no prob though.. ever wonder why the wind always blows in texas?? cause oklahoma sucks!!

the ut/a&m is just huge cause its the 2 biggest texas schools. i would tell anyone that has a fever for college football to go see a UT-vs-A&M game in college station. it is possibly the craziest, most hectic 4 hours you will ever have. its like a drug!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#50578 07/01/04 01:31 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

see a UT-vs-A&M game in college station. it is possibly the craziest, most hectic 4 hours you will ever have. its like a drug!!

Sounds like my kinda game. Fun stuff.

Hey John. Just saw on the news that west Texas is trying to break the 40 days and 40 nights record for rain. Are you under water, or floatin' down the Concho?

Jack

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082