Print Thread
Rate Thread
Some Interesting Recommendations
#51314 07/03/04 03:31 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
There is a thread running over at AVS entitled Axiom Speakers. Thoughts?, where, obviously, a guy wants to know about Axiom Speakers. I thought you might find a couple of posts by one fellow interesting. (Any comment I make are in red.)

"I almost bought from them (Axiom) and would have if I did not get in touch with an old designer that made a similar design.

What I have been told is that you can easily tweek them for better performance to bring them up a notch sonicly.

Dr.D(whos ears I trust) who sometimes post here and AudioAsylum has a set which he raves about now after doing afew simple mods.

All in all they are probably good value for the $$.

You do have other alternatives also.
---------------------------
Looking at the kind of system one can build today for an affordable price.

Panny XR-45(now the XR-SA50&70) $300 J&R's
Ascend CBM-170 $328\Pr.
Pioneer 563A Universal DVDP $170
StereoVox Digital IC $80 (Turns out this is an RCA to RCA interconnect.)
Power Cord (Aftermarket) $60-100
NEAR SOTA Hook-Up Cable $100 Front\RR\CC\IC My co. www.nearsota.com (If I understand this correctly, this is HIS company, Near State Of The Art Cables.)
Add-Ons
Sub $200-500 New\Used
Phonostage Hagerman Coronet $50-$130 (This is a tube phono amplifier. 2x6, you WILL be pleased)

Powercords to chose from:
Bob Crump DIY-
or any other after market PC even generic and throw the stock cord to the Panny away!

Other speakers I have been looking at that are affordable are from:
Celestion F10's $170\pr.
Wharfdale Diamond 7.2's $200\pr.
Athena Technologies
Epos 3(?)

That is a system I could easily live with.

Good luck!"

In a later post he shares with us the "mods" done by another fellow that he mentions.

"The following is a a msg. reguarding (sic) the mods done from Dr.D using Axiom M40ti's. I also read another posting regarding mods done to Axiom's ,but was unable to find it.
---------------------------
M40Ti
i just replaced the crossover components with identical value good ones, Mills and Alpha Core . I added a >2Ohm resistor, and soldered the leads, cutting off the clip on leads. The woofer is direct-coupled to the signal. This is what makes Axioms good. I mounted it on a PCB, wrapped it in two kitchen sponges and buried it in sand at the bottom of the cabinet. I glued Black Hole on the backwall.

I then ran them in again for three days of white noise, in a freezer chest in the garage, really beat the daylights out of them They are quite mellow now.

These are serious high quality speakers now, far and away better. they are on a par with Totem Forests, very similar...There is a guy from AA who gave methe idea, he did it to two sets, one was the M60, I believe."

I particularly liked the three days in a freezer chest blowing white noise. OH OH! Another fellow has jumped in and taken him to task on the aftermarket power cord suggestion. This could get interesting.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Some Interesting Recommendations
#51315 07/05/04 02:35 PM
rpj Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
Pretty interesting (modding the x-overs for superior sound). Would be nervous about making such significant changes to my speakers.

Re: Some Interesting Recommendations
#51316 07/05/04 03:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I found a pair of AX2's some time ago, and as the cabinets were very weathered, and they were cheap, I decided to play with them. I had a close friend who owned a pair of AX2's, and we became curious as to what the outcome would be. We used his for comparison.

My first upgrade was the drivers. As the original line of Axioms had lifetime warranties, I sent them to Axiom for new replacements. I then replaced the internal wiring, using quality solder. I replaced the components in the crossover, installed proper binding posts (replacing the spring loaded connectors),upgraded the internal bracing, sound batting, and reinforcing the cabinet seems.

The difference was quite remarkable when compared to the original speaker. I was quite pleased with the cost of the upgrades, and the new sound.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044