Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pros & Cons using 2 M2is as Centers
#51496 07/06/04 09:01 PM
TonyM Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hello md55,

You are indeed correct, the M2i utilizes the same size midrange driver and tweeter of the M60Ti. I apologize for any confusion.

Thanks,

TonyM

#51497 07/06/04 11:24 PM
local
local
No problem, The discussion brought to my awareness that the QS4 had changed. I wrote as much as I did in case other browsing at the forum were interseted. Let us know what you decide and how they work for you. It's always good to get feedback on other solutions.

Mark
#51498 07/06/04 11:55 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Professional speakers with horns are frequently designed to be arrayed because they have a fairly predictable dispersion pattern. Tweeters such as found on the M2 do not have a horn, and I believe have more problems with lobing when arrayed. Whether these problems would bother you or whether you would believe them to be better than a single VP150 is another question.

Of course, on the other hand, systems such as the VP150 don't have horns, either, so maybe it just doesn't matter with home systems or people just ignore it. I don't know...

Bruce

#51499 07/07/04 01:32 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Tony, welcome. In the past I did a fair amount of experimenting with center channel configurations(although I didn't have the M2s). In short, I think that what you propose would work well, although I doubt that it's really necessary. The problem that Mark(BigWill)read about somewhere may be "comb-filtering" when two separated speakers reproduce the same material and partially interfere with each other. This does exist, but it can also happen occasionally with the regular two stereo speakers and in my view shouldn't be given much weight, especially considering all the comb-filtering that's happening continuously in any listening room that isn't an anechoic chamber. The center image will shift slightly as the listener moves to the left or right, but won't move out farther than the center speaker on that side, which should be satisfactory.

The reason that I said that it shouldn't be really necessary is that a single vertical speaker which has very wide dispersion should be adequate, as I've found. Despite a rather puzzling recent report of an M22 having a narrow "soundstage", both my personal experience and the NRC measurements show that the Axiom tweeter has very wide dispersion(which is what determines the soundstage when other factors are held equal). So, a single vertical M2 should be very satisfactory, although your experiment will be interesting.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#51500 07/07/04 04:14 AM
veteran
veteran
JohnK,

I kind of like the idea of two M2Is or M3Ts as centers. We will be moving to Florida within the next few weeks and purchasing a house soon there after. The plan is to establish a HT room. This may be a viable consideration, although it will require some experimentation. I have some time to think about it and am looking forward to future posts on the subject.

Jim / CAV104th

"THE MORE YOU KNOW, THE MORE YOU DON'T KNOW"

#51501 07/07/04 05:21 PM
TonyM Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hello All,

Thank you for all the replies. There seems to be quite a bit of interest generated by this concept. I will be purchasing the speakers, most probably, in the next 2 weeks to try it out.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks,

TonyM

#51502 07/07/04 05:43 PM
TonyM Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hello Jim,

Interesting that you bring up horn tweeters, currently I am running an 8" mid/woofer with two large piezo horn tweeters angled outwards for my center channel. This does not work very well, it is too harsh in the high end and the mids are not very distinct. This setup moves a lot of air though. My Wife and I often question each other about what someone said in a movie, and neither of us caught what it was. My H/K 630 I doubt is the problem in this scenario, it deserves better speakers.

A single speaker may be enough, but I am used to a lot more volume than I believe one M2i can generate. Two together I believe should be 3db louder than one alone. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Thanks,

TonyM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082