Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 77 of 172 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 171 172
Re: Just because I'm a warmonger
#53369 09/09/04 08:03 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Well... For starters, reduce the size of government. If the government was not the focus of so many people's lives, the long election cycle would not exist.

This is the 'for starters' answer to just about every problem in this country. 40 cents of every dollar generated in this country is consumed by the government. The government spends more and more money, and whenever you accept a government dollar, you subject yourself to onerous rules and regulations. Place health care under the government's care? The worst thing imaginable for the level of health care in this country. In this respect, the two rival political parties in this country are so close together idealogically as to be almost indistinguishable.

The job of the federal government ought to be to defend our borders, build roads, and very little else.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#53370 09/09/04 08:11 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

It is difficult for me to understand how people can talk about elimination and God (prayer) in the same breath.

How about the entire old testament? God asked Isaac to eliminate Abraham (if I remember correctly...it's been a long time)...Sodom and Gemorrah...The great flood. The entire Judeo-Christian system is based on a document glorifying divine retribution!

Mark

Re: Just because I'm a pacifist
#53371 09/09/04 08:30 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

How do you account for eliminating 1,000's of (mostly black) Democratic voters from even being able to vote?

To whom are you referring?

Mark

#53372 09/09/04 09:01 PM
devotee
devotee
OK....I'm not going to try to restate everything that this guy says, because it's too extensive. If you go to the following site, you will find this guy's extensive analysis of Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 assertions. In there, if you look at Deceit #3 and 4, you will find a lengthy explanation of the Florida election scandal and Moore's (the Left's) assertions about the deprived votes and the recounts. LINK

It's an extremely long analysis which helps to debunk many of Moore's deceptions.

Am I having deja vu or have I posted this in the past?

#53373 09/09/04 09:12 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
yes, it has been posted before.. i dont know if by you, but by someone. its still fun to go read. it just makes me have the same thoughts as i had the first time.. i find humor in the fact that this guy totally dissected every word and image in that whole movie to try and debunk as much as possible. i am sure he had a whole crew of people trying to find wrongs in this film. bottom line is, just the fact that he, and his party, felt compelled to do this, proves how scared they were/are of this movie.

i think its supposed to be out on DVD before the election? not real sure.. i would go buy 'roger and me' before i even thought about buying this one.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#53374 09/09/04 09:20 PM
local
local
Michael Moore's an entertainer with a political bent.
Fahrenheit 911 pisses people off, gives "the right" something to consume their time besides furthering their own agenda, and of course provokes a little thought. Unlike the Swift Boat Vets he sold a lot of tickets and made a lot of money, what does that make him-a pissed of Dem or one helluva capitalist. As far as the link goes, what would you expect the Independence Institute to say about Moore's claims? Might they have a political agenda?

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
#53375 09/09/04 09:56 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

The entire Judeo-Christian system is based on a document glorifying divine retribution!

I'd love to respond to this, but I already promised I wouldn't discuss religion any longer.

Re: Shooting children in the back?
#53376 09/09/04 11:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So, bridgman, who are you rooting for in the Iraq conflict? The guys who are just "defending their country from an occupying force" or the guys who are attempting to help the Iraqi people establish a representative gov't in Iraq?

The more I think about the war in Iraq the more it becomes clear that the long-term success of the new Iraqi gov't is pivotal in the war on terror. Why? Because we cannot kill all current AND future terrorists by waging war (without killing all the innocents as well, that is).

The only acceptable way to "win" completely is to get them to accept us, tolerate differences among themselves, and likely adopt some modern ways. A successful, secular western-style gov't with a thriving economy that creates great social benefits for the masses of its people - to have that in Iraq would be a great motivator to neighboring countries to shake off the regimes which oppress them, to disavow terrorist tactics and organizations, and to halt recruitment into those organizations. It's been said before, but the Arab world has got to change or we'll be faced with the same kind of irresolvable, protracted war the Israelis have. Their neighbors want them dead - that is why there is no Palestinian state. Any agreements the Arabs make with Israel will only be temporary, strategic lulls in the conflict.

2x6, thanks for the info - that made for some fun reading. Sounds like it could be Michael Moore's next movie: "Global Jewish/American Conspiracy to Rule the World." Not very catchy, I guess.

How ridiculous are those editors and bureaucrats to apparently believe that the Mossad has the ear of every Jew on the planet - and that 4000 Jews would stay home from work on 9-11, but let their friends and coworkers go off to die? Absurd bunch of people over there.

I'm getting ready to embrace the "gay gene" idea - the "moron gene" seems to be flourishing in the Middle East.

Last edited by BigWill; 09/09/04 11:40 PM.
#53377 09/09/04 11:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I'm getting ready to embrace the "gay gene" idea

...biting tongue...

#53378 09/10/04 12:57 AM
I just read a very excellent article that talks about truth and why is politically important. It's called Who Cares About the Truth?

Here's a choice exerpt:

"It follows that a necessary condition for fundamental rights is a distinction between what the government -- in the wide sense of the term -- says is so and what is true. That is, in order for me to understand that I have fundamental rights, it must be possible for me to have the following thought: that even though everyone else in my community thinks that, for example, same-sex marriages should be outlawed, people of the same sex still have a right to be married. But I couldn't have that thought unless I was able to entertain the idea that believing doesn't make things so, that there is something that my thoughts can respond to other than the views of my fellow citizens, powerful or not. The very concept of a fundamental right presupposes the concept of truth. Take-home lesson: If you care about your rights, you had better care about truth."

And another one:

"governmental transparency and freedom of information are the first defenses against tyranny. The less a government feels the need to be truthful, the more prone it is to try and get away with doing what wouldn't be approved by its citizens in the light of day, whether that means breaking into the Watergate Hotel, bombing Cambodia, or authorizing the use of torture on prisoners. Even when they don't affect us directly, secret actions like those indirectly damage the integrity of our democracy. What you don't know can hurt you."

Page 77 of 172 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 171 172

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters