Print Thread
Rate Thread
Dare I use the M2is this way?
#5499 09/05/02 05:44 AM
chip Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I've been hemming and hawing back and forth for weeks now on replacing my NHT SuperZeroes in my living room system (they are partnered with a sub, of course). For 2-channel movie listening and casual, can't-sit-down listening, the speakers are trapped in an armoire, just a couple of feet apart, with the electronics between them. For serious listening sessions, I get out stands and set them up right.
My big concern is that the rear-ported design of the M2i (which otherwise sounds like a perfect match for my sonic desires) makes them unsuited for the armoire and the mini-cavernous space ("damped" only by the electronics and as many cds as will fit behind the speakers) in which the speakers will often sit. Maybe I need to consider a sealed or front-ported design...(?)
What is the wisdom of the board?

Last edited by chip; 09/05/02 05:45 AM.
Re: Dare I use the M2is this way?
#5500 09/05/02 03:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Someone else had a similar situation in trying to place M22s i think into a bookshelf with limited space behind the speakers. I know that Alan had replied to this post but i can't seem to remember exactly who posted it.
You might want to review some of Alan's recent posts to locate the thread i'm talking about. I think the info contained therein will be helpful to your situation.

EDIT:
Here is the link:
the post on m22s in a bookshelf enclosure

Last edited by chesseroo; 09/05/02 03:46 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Dare I use the M2is this way?
#5501 09/05/02 08:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi chip,

The rear port is the least of your concerns. A few inches separation from the surface behind it is all that's necessary for the rear port. It's nearby surfaces and "boundary effects" that will alter the tonal balance of the M2i's that you should be concerned about. Here's Randyman's response that you'll find in the thread from an earlier post (I wouldn't have stated things any differently):

"You should be able to push them back to the "wall" within 3 or 4 inches easy. Generally, the closer to the wall the more bass reinforcement you get. But your bigger problem could be boundry /reflection issues IF you set them "inside" a bookshelf of some sort - with cabinet sides and/or shelves that actually stick out further than the front of the M22s. If you do put them on the cabinet. . . then try to pull them out as close to the front edge of the cabinet to avoid reflections from the cabinet walls/shelves."

Experiment with your NHT SuperZeroes. Leave one inside the armoire and put the other in free space away from a wall. Compare the sound with the same music. Use the balance control on your amp to go back and forth from one speaker to the other. If you hear little or no difference, then perhaps the M2i's will sound fine in there (I doubt it).

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,048 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup