Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: M22 Vs. JMlab Chorus 706
#5824 10/01/02 03:12 PM
Danny Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
BBIBH,

What I'm looking for is true high fidelity sound; the best that my BUDGET will allow. I want to know if a 500-$800 cd player,(Creek, NAD,etc.) ran through the Onkyo, will reveal things from a cd that my Integra cannot, due to inferior electronics? Yes, No, Maybe?? If not, then my sytem is the best that I can afford at this time; and to get any improvement would cost more than a thousand bucks.My initial thought of replacing my Onkyo reciever with an integrated amp was not well thought out; Listening to CD's is what is most important to me. Again, a single tray would be alright with me, IF it will give me better quality sound.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your help.

Danny

#5825 10/01/02 03:31 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Yes, a $500-$800 CD player will make a noticable improvement in your setup. Music Hall makes a CD player in that price range that is supposed to be quite good. Also a small company called !ah makes a cd player which is a modified Marantz with a tubed output stage. You can read reviews of this player in the archives at enjoythemusic.com.

I just bought a new DAC that I have paired with an el-cheapo 5 disc changer. It improved the sound greatly. Bass got so much tighter, with the bass actually sounding like notes, instead of a jumbled mess. Also brass has so much more presence than it used to. I love this little DAC. I can also upgrade the power supply later. I also plan on getting a better transport at some point. I like the flexability of being able to upgrade transport and DAC seperately.

Good luck

#5826 10/01/02 05:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Danny you still seem set on the idea that $$ equals quality. It does not.
(e.g. a more expensive cd player than the one that you have will be better just because it costs more therefore it must SOMEHOW have better parts, or better processing or better....is simply not always true...anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you something or are themselves blinded by this fallacy). I would bring up another example of the cable types and costs vs. sound "improvements" but we've beaten that horse to death already.

Spending more MAY get you better equipment and it may not. Buying any item that is not the same model that you have right now MAY sound better but only YOU could hold an opinion on that.
The only thing i could say with a reasonable amount of confidence is that a different cd player than what you have MAY sound different, but not necessarily better.

You can get alot of other people's opinions on what equipment they think sounds better than others but ultimately your equipment, listening room and listening preferences are unique to you. Therefore, someone else's opinion of a particular piece of equipment sounding better may not be valid for your circumstances.

Audition audition audition. Take the other cd players home and try them for yourself and only that will truly answer your questions.

Last edited by chesseroo; 10/01/02 05:44 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#5827 10/03/02 12:41 AM
regular
regular
I am interested in hearing more detailed impressions of the jmlabs 706 vs. axiom m22. I have found a jmlab dealer nearby and will audition the 706 in a few days. I am also considering the axiom m22. Any more info as to how the two compare would be much appreciated.

#5828 10/03/02 04:54 PM
Danny Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
vmrao,
I'm not qualified to give you the type of detailed info you may be seeking on the JMlab Chorus 706. What I can tell you is what I thought of them. They sounded great; the midrange and treble were identicle, to my ears, but they were a little weak as far as bass goes. BUT, the Axiom has 2 bass drivers, and the 706 has only 1. So, the Axiom had a better 'full-range sound'; I like a healthy amount of bass, not too much, and if my subwoofer was broke, I could live with the bass supplied by the M22.
I chose the Axioms because of this, and they were $50 cheaper,AND you have 30 days to try them out!
Thats pretty much all I can say; I'm sure you will be pleased with the JMlabs, and the Axioms. In the end your ears will decide which is best for you.
Good luck.

#5829 10/05/02 02:15 AM
regular
regular
Today I auditioned the JMLab Chorus 707. Very solid performer, very pleased, only concern is bass is a little weak, extension is only down to about 55 hz and doesn't go low enough. Really interested in axiom m22 and maybe a sub.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters