Print Thread
Rate Thread
QS 8 Placement help
#58440 08/24/04 05:09 PM
Chris Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I am about to take the plunge and get me a pair of QS8's. I have a question though. I am going to be placing them behind the listening area elevated toward the top of the ceiling. (I have a 1 ft mini wall that seperates my kitchen from family room and I want to place them on that wall so the speakers are not visible from the Kitchen). Anyway, I have read how good these speakers are at dispersing the surround sounds, but I have a question.

Should I simply use the brackets that come attached to the speaker already OR shuold I get the wall mount brackets that will enable me to point the speakers down toward the listening area. (Thought maybe since they will be so high, this would help) I'd RATHER just use the brackets with the speakers so they're flush on the wall, but if the pivoting of the speaker helps some, I'd consider that.

Also, one more thing comes to mind. Can the swivel wall bracket be installed on the wall horizontally or does it have to go vertical? My mini wall is only 1 ft tall (suspended from the ceiling) so I was thinking for room wise I MIGHT have to install horizontally)...that's IF I even go that route...like I said..I'd rather just use the bracket that's already on the speakers.

Thanks for any help. Sorry this ended up being so loooong.

Re: QS 8 Placement help
#58441 08/24/04 06:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Though I've never mounted the QS8s in quite that same situation, I would wager using the regular brackets would be just fine. The QS8s are 8.5 inches high. So, assuming you can mount them so the bottom edge of the QS8 is flush with, or a half inch above, the bottom edge of the 12" wall, you'd still have 3 to 3.5 inches between the top woofer and the ceiling. That's enough, in my opinion.

The 8s are pretty forgiving when it comes to placement. I have my QS8s temporarily propped up on some paperback books which leaves about that same distance between the bottom woofer and the surface of the shelf, and the QS8s are awe inspiring.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#58442 08/24/04 07:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Given that tight placement so near the ceiling I would suggest using brackets that allow you to tilt the speaker down. How far from the LP will the QS8s be?
I'm in a similar situation (the back wall is all windows) and I'm going to order up some brackets one of these days. My QS8s are just too high and too far away. I had them on stands before and they were phenomenal.

#58443 08/24/04 08:05 PM
Chris Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
They will only be about 2-3 feet behind couch...so really, right behind main couch.

So I have one that says main brackets fine, another vote brackets that allow to be tilted downward.

Any more votes?

im way wrong
#58444 08/24/04 10:12 PM
veteran
veteran
our couch is flus to the wall with the 8s about 12" abouve each sides head.

not very good, but all i could do barring getting the full metal brackets.

any way, my rear channel on my sony is going goin ...almost gone

so i can't really do a good eval of the placement or the speaker for that matter

but soon...very soon, i see a nice reviever in my future

dave

oh..i would go the stands if i could, but we have tables on either side of the couch, so the wall is it for now

"There is one thing that I know for sure, and that is that I know nothing." ...Socrates
#58445 08/24/04 10:35 PM
local
local
Chris, I mounted the (2) qs-8s with the bottom of the cabinet being 7 ft. off the floor, this was by direct conversation with Joe at Axiom, this is on 8ft. ceilings which seemed a little high to me. Also I have a 96" couch flush with the wall of the qs-8s. I was again told to seperate them about 1 ft. from the armrests of the couch. The wall is 18 ft. long, couch dead center, but the room is only 10ft. deep. So that may change some things. However, my girlfriend said they looked stupid way up there. I have them now mounted, cabinet bottom 5.5 ft. from floor and 30" from armrests, in my opinion (my ear) they sound much better, it may be room dimensions, but they look and sound better for what it's worth. Jon

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
#58446 08/24/04 11:27 PM
I
veteran
veteran
I
As I posted earlier somewhere my QS8 are 7 feet from floor(bottom of cabinet) with a 6" clearance to the ceiling. I have them 1' in front of LP. They work great I also moved the couch equal to, and behind the speakers,and no real noticeable change. They disperse sound wonderfully. I used the FMB and am still playing with the swivel positions. I seem to like just flat so maybe the t mount will work for you. The bracket is inexpensive and provides great options

#58447 08/25/04 12:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can try them with the T mount first and see how you like it. If you find it lacking, stands would probably be the best option, IMO, or try some swivel brackets.

#58448 08/25/04 03:51 AM
veteran
veteran
Chris, I tried my QS8s in so many locations in my room, I was like a pathetic dancing monkey in my basement. I noticed that just setting levels on your receiver could effect almost as much change and value as placement. They are simply a remarkable surround speaker, forgiving of where they are placed. I think it comes down to some personal tastes issues with how you like your surrounds to sound from the soundtracks. The speakers themselves are attritive and IMO look the best with the flush mount option using the default t brackets. I would start there. Make some small output level changes rewinding some really good segments that optimize the surround. I'm sure you'll find a setting that works for the accoustics that you're working with. The angle down theory holds more weight with direct book shelfs... BTW, the bass output may even gain some punch with your mount when playing music in 5.1... never know till you try.

#58449 08/28/04 09:56 PM
Chris, I can't believe it! We have the same situation that you describe "...a 1 ft mini wall that separates my kitchen from family room..." In addition we have a counter right below the short wall. I was considering the purchase of the QS8's to install below the counter (in the foot well area). The QS8’s are shallow enough to allow people to sit at the counter without hitting them. While they may be more discreet below the counter, sound wise it may be better to mount them “high” as you're contemplating. Thanks for the inspiration and I hope you post your results should you opt to go with the QS8’s.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044