Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
In reply to:

I would become a junkie, no doubt.

You aready are.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Re: anyone here have a krell amp?
#59098 08/28/04 04:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey tleigh;

My opinion is not to attack anyone in particular but just giving some facts and finding. Although Krell are expensive they hold some value over time not like some mass market products. All Krells that are in decent shape will resell...clearly seen in Audiogon.
The Bryston although may have cost $3500 originally but how many amps/receivers has one gone through in the past 15 years and still sound as good as day 1 on the Bryston. The Bryston has been serviced 3 times with minor issues such as upgrading speaker wire terminals with the new version...updating the power switch because of wear and tear in the past 15 years. And all this is included in the 20 year warrantee service and transferable to the upteenth owner.
Currently I choose to forgo a car being a Toronto (excellent transit system) downtowner which has freed up some cashflow for my hobbies such as snowboarding, mountain biking and obviously my sickness in audio and video.

cheers

#59099 08/28/04 05:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Saturn,

I totally agree I don't feel attacked in any way. You are correct about resale. I never looked at the resale angle before but now that you mentioned it, I see your point.

Like I said before, if I could afford it I would definitely consider that league of equipment.

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#59100 08/28/04 05:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yes, I'm a junkie. Hey does audio have Audio Anonymous? I made the first step in admitting I have a problem….

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#59101 08/28/04 05:37 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
i was thinking about getting the krell, like saturn said, it will last for ever, i currently have a marantz mm9000 and it is a very nice amp.. but, i have expensive taste.... its a downfall... kind of like neverhappy, i buy, and sell stuff all the time.. right now, i live in 1 room,(I'm in the military) and have 2 home theater set ups... a tv i never use, and a projector i use almost every day... and i already have a dual sub set up, for the person that brought that up... the build quality of the more expensive gear, is infinitely better than the mass produced stuff, hence will last much longer… and it is actually worth spending the money to get repaired, vice just buying a new piece of equipment, a receiver I would never spend that kind of money on, because receiver technology is always changing, adding new features ect. But with an amp, hell, a good amp now, will be a good amp in 10-20 years… its just all about the electrical engineering that goes in to the equipment, and how close of tolerances of capacitors, resistors and transistors they use, the mass produced stuff, will use components of +/- 20% where the krell, ect, use +/- 5%, and that makes a big difference… and that is why the hold their value…

I would buy pre-owned unit/units.

Thanks for the replies guys, didn’t think this many people would be on, on the weekend.

#59102 08/30/04 03:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
While I have heard Krells, it was so long ago that I hesitated in replying.

I think that based on your plans (HT, music only) that you could also include a number of other, highly respected amps along with some of the ones already mentioned. Of all that are mentioned in the thread, the Bryston would be my choice. However, also look at Vecteur, YBA, SIMaudio, Linn, Classe, Rowland, Meridian, Counterpoint, Rogue Audio, Naim, Roksan, Theta, - but all of these mfg'ers have products that span the range of prices.

You could spend a great deal of time searching for better, but the above list would yield a great amp. The first 3 names on the above list, along with Bryston would be the first ones I would recommend.

Your analogy of mass market versus more expensive gear is for the most part correct. However, there are those companies that cost more and deliver less. Having engineered many products, it is amazing to see the cheap components included in gear - and not just mass market or cheaper junk! Some of this can cause performance problems, some do not. Some is measurable, some is not. Typically, a company that can and does use better equipment will need to charge more, while a price point mfg'er will need to be more efficient with the choices it makes on the internals of the products.

Oh, BTW, I recently heard a low cost speaker that I thought was very good - iliad, or something of that similar name.

YMMV.......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020