Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need some expert ADVICE
#60829 09/15/04 03:55 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You're in Chillicothe, and you're a Brown's season's ticket holder? Holy Moly! That's a heck of a Sunday drive.

The pull down curtain might work just fine, but I wouldn't set it up until you try out the speakers without it. It may not be necessary.

The 170s are direct radiating speakers, which means they create and output sound from only one side of the enclosure with that side aimed at the listening position. The M60s are direct radiating speakers, as are the 340s.

Some surround speakers are dipolar, featuring speaker drivers on two opposite sides of a speaker enclosure and wired to operate out of phase (as one driver moves in the other moves out) creating a null to the front of the speaker (very little sound emanating to the front) and a broad, spread-out sound in general.

Some surrounds are bipolar, directing sound in two directions using speaker driver on two sides of the enclosure opposite one another operating in phase (meaning that they both push out at the same time and they both come in at the same time).

The Axiom QS series surround speakers are Quadrapolar. They have 4 drivers, one woofer firing out the top of the speaker, and one woofer firing down from the bottom; one tweeter firing from each side at a 45 degree angle. The drivers are wired in phase, like bipolar speakers. So they are bipolar speakers x 2 = quadrapolar.

I can say for sure that the QS8s are the best surrounds I've ever owned. The QS8s are startlingly immersing. My standard comment on the QS8s is "the thing I notice most about the QS8s is that I DON’T notice them." They do a wonderful job of providing the surround experience without calling attention to themselves in any way. They do not distract you from the movie.

If you're primarily a movie watcher, I cannot recommend the QS series highly enough. There are those who feel differently and prefer direct radiators as surrounds. They'll probably offer their opinions here soon.

I wouldn't hesitate to get B stock speakers from either internet company. The perform the same as A stock speakers, but my have minor cosmetic flaws that are hard to find. All my Axioms are B stock from the Factory Outlet. Outlet speakers are 10% off, and if you order any 5 items (for example: 5 speakers; or 2 speakers, 2 stands and one cable) you get an extra 5%0ff.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#60830 09/15/04 04:11 AM
praider Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
thanks jack, I used to play college football at Mount Union so we were up there every weekend for the games, I now sell them on eBay and profit a little bit on the BROWNS until they may the playoffs, maybe in the next 10-15 years....

is my room to big to go with the QS4's??
also, B-stock say they take several weeks to get, is that usually hold true??

HK AVR 630 SVS 20-39PCi
#60831 09/15/04 04:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

is my room to big to go with the QS4's??

No. If you wanted you could use the 4's.

#60832 09/15/04 04:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes you could go with the QS4s, but I do love my QS8s. If you ordered 2 M60s, 1 VP150, and 2 QS8s, in black oak,from the outlet, today, The wait time for the M60s is 10 weeks, 2 weeks for the VP150, and 11 weeks for the QS8s. All of them would ship at the same time and you'd get them in 11 weeks. Many report that their speakers arrive before the maximum wait time but you shouldn't count on that. I've ordered twice from the outlet, and both times my scheduled wait time was 6 weeks. Both times, the speakers arrived in exactly 6 weeks.

One option you might consider, should you opt to go with Axioms, is to order just the 2 front speakers first. That way, if you don't like them, you only have to pay return shipping for 2 speakers. If you DO like them, then order the center speaker and 2 surrounds within the 30 day return period (as soon as you are sure you like the sound of the Axioms), and you'll still qualify for the 5 speaker 5% discount. You should call Axiom and verify that I have that correct, but I believe I do.

For that matter, you should call Axiom and talk to the folks there about your room size and listening habits and see what they recommend. Their customer service is second to none, and they won't try to talk you into something you don't need or want.

Actually, it wouldn't hurt to do the same with the Ascend folks. Most of these internet direct companies (Ascend, Axiom, av123, Hsu, SVS, etc.) have marvelous customer service.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#60833 09/15/04 04:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As always, nice post Jack! :-)

#60834 09/15/04 04:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thank you, sir.