Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ceiling mount surrounds
#6508 10/21/02 05:02 PM
Namax Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello - I'm new to this so please bear with me. I want to expand my system from stereo to home theater. My room is less than ideal, particularly for the rear surround placement. The room is 16' wide by 24' long in total. The seating and listening area is the 'front' 16', with an informal eating area in the 'rear' 8'. There are three open doorways: 1 - at the left front corner, 2 - on the left side wall about 12' from the front, and 3 - on the right side wall about 15' from the front. So if you're seated on the main couch, the door to your left is adjacent, the door to your right somewhat behind you. I know, not an ideal room!

Because of the doorways, I ruled out wall placement of rear surrounds, since it wouldn't be possible to mount them opposite each other. I'm considering ceiling mounts. Is this possible? Should they point down at the floor, or be mounted with a long bracket, that allows them to face forward?

Alternatively, there is a beam running accross the room that drops about 8 inches from the ceiling, and is located about 2 feet behind the listening area couch. Would this be a place to mount them facing forward. If mounted here, should they be angled downward?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

Neal

PS - as FYI my fronts are M22s, the sub is HSU research, the center will be VP150 and I'm up in the air on surrounds, once I figure out where to put them...

Re: Ceiling mount surrounds
#6509 10/21/02 09:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Namax,

If you get our quadpolar QS8 surrounds they don't have to mounted opposite each other and they are very forgiving of non-symmetrical placment. You might try the beam. You'd have to keep the top woofer of the QS8s away from the ceiling, but apart from that limitation, they should produce an excellent sense of envelopment for the listening area.

Alternatively, you might try bracket-mounting them above the doorway to the side if that's possible. Surrounds work best placed to the sides of the listening area, but the QS8s are very flexible because they radiate in many directions. Check out omnimount.com and vogelsusa.com for custom brackets.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 679 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup