Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I want my SACD, but NEED a cup of coffee...
#65933 10/26/04 01:06 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
A B**ch session:

I didn't want to hijack the other thread about Tweeter and B&M audio stores, but I had an experience last night that I had wanted to share….

What the hell is up with employees in music departments of retail giants or even music stores not even knowing what SACD or DVD-Audio is?

If I walked into a Wal-Mart, I wouldn't be surprised if the employee didn't know what these discs were. But, last week in my local Circuit City, I noticed that the Sony end-cap display of SACD was empty of discs, so I asked an employee of the music department if they were put in a new section. He didn't know what I was talking about. I had to walk him over to the "audio hardware" area, about 50 feet away, and show him the empty display. He had never heard of them or was aware that they were there…. I know that the display was there for months.

Last night, I walked into a FYE (For Your Entertainment, a chain with hundreds and hundreds of stores) and asked two employees if they had a section for these discs.

"Oh, DVDs with music? Like concert videos? They're over there."

"No, not concert videos. They're audio discs. It's a higher-resolution format, and offers surround re-mixes."

"DVDs HAVE audio, already."

"These AREN'T regular DVDs. It's an entirely different format."

"I don't know what you're talking about, so I guess we don't have them."

"So you don't have any SACDs either? Super Audio Discs?" (clearly baiting a bit at this point as I'm annoyed that he's giving me attitude like I asked, on a bet, for something me and my friends clearly made up).

"I don't know what those are either, so I guess we don't have them."

Now, I know that these are probably minimum wage jobs and not likely career choices. And I DO know that their possible knowledge of music will serve them better than the knowledge of delivery systems. Further, I know that these two formats are certainly NOT flying off shelves; my understanding is that sales are pretty damn small as a percentage.

But really…

If you work in a music store… your sole focus is music… how can you be completely unfamiliar with formats that have thousands of releases and have been out a couple of years?

If you work in the music department of a large retailer like Circuit City, how can you be oblivious to a display of discs and a department that sells the players for these discs fifty feet away?

I'm not going to deny that this is a somewhat passionate topic for me. I LOVE music, and am enjoying the somewhat limited selection of these discs that I own. I purchased a Pioneer 578 specifically for these discs, with the intention of it being a temporary measure to the $1100 Denon 3910 universal player I want to match my Denon receiver. I thought I'd dislike surround music ("Who the hell wants to hear instruments BEHIND them?") but found instead that I like it once I experienced it. I want to hear my coming Axioms with the best versions of the best discs I can, with the QS-8s holding their own in mixes that demand much of the rears. I want these formats to succeed. I don't want to see them go the way of Quad or Betamax. I don't want to wait another 5 years for someone to come up with some audio version of BlueRay with 10.2 / 384Khz sound. But how is this format going to survive if it's not only NOT marketed, but doesn't even flash a glimmer of awareness among those in the trenches?

OK. Disc sales numbers being what they are, I don't expect rows of displays in the B&Ms, and I'm not totally surprised that there aren't even small displays in some stores. But can't a store or department manager even MENTION to an employee that these discs exist? That they're available on the prospective companies websites by the thousands?

Shouldn't employees be aware of their existence, even if they're not carried within the store itself?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: I want my SACD, but NEED a cup of coffee...
#65934 10/26/04 02:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Incompetence is an epidemic in this society. I, literally, spend hours and hours every week, correcting the errors of others.

I just had a one month go round with my long distance carrier, which had changed affiliations from Worldcom to Sprint. You wouldn't believe me, if I told you, what I had to go through.

Suffice to say that more than once, I waited as long as two and one half hours to reach a customer service representative who was totally unable to solve the problem. Unbelievable!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#65935 10/26/04 02:49 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i feel your pain mark. i think, at a minimum, the employees should at least know where the products are for the particular section they work in.. and the whole, "i dont know what you are talking about, so i guess we dont have them", doesnt work with me.

when i worked the health/beauty section at walmart when i was in high school, i knew every damn brand and style of tampon/pad, and i had never seen on in my life before i worked there..!!

"whats that mam? you need the two-ply, double absorbancy, non scented with wings? top shelf on the right!"

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#65936 10/26/04 02:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mark
I had an experiance recently much like your own.
In the Dallas area we have Borders Books and Records. Its a huge chain with one of the better selections of music. I asked a sales person where the saccds are at, and I got the same blank stare I'm sure you got.
After I had him check his computer, it turns out they do carry sacd and dvda, but they are mixed in with the regular cds. Also he couldnt or wouldnt take the time to tell me what they had in those formats.
I've started shopping elsewhere.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#65937 10/26/04 03:00 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
bray- if you have a local 'hastings' give them a shot.. the sacd's and dvd-a's are kept separate, and they have an above average selection at good prices.. usually a couple bucks more than onlines like amazon/barnes nobles, etc, but you get to take it home right then.. thats worth a few bucks to me..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#65938 10/26/04 03:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wished Dallas still had Hastings. I actually grew up with the Hasting family in Amarillo. They started in a store about the size of a 7-11, and because of good customer service they have spread all over Texas. We had a few in the Dallas area for a while, but now they do business only in smaller citys and towns. I bought my first album from them: Three Dog Night-Joy to The World.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#65939 10/26/04 03:19 PM
veteran
veteran
This all makes me really appreciate my local Tower Records in NYC. They have just about every available popular DVD-A and SA-CD, in a separate section. Of course, I'm usually the only one in that separate section, so it's quiet also. LOL.

Unfortunately, their prices are generally MSRP, so I usually browse and then buy online. But for impulse purchases, it's great to have a block away. They even have hundreds of classical SA-CD and DVD-A in their classical section of the store if so inclined.

Otherwise, I've given up on the Circuit City's and Best Buy's of the world for hi-rez. None of their employees know what the heck any of these formats are. And their selections are getting thinner by the day.

#65940 10/26/04 03:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Bray,

Not sure where you are located in Dallas, but the last time I was there, there was a Hastings across from Town East Mall in Mesquite...

Used to live over there many moons ago and it was built after I left town...

Things DO change, but it may still be there...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#65941 10/26/04 03:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
WhatFurrer
I live very close to that area, it is now a "Tweeter".

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#65942 10/26/04 03:58 PM
OP Offline
Bray:
Actually, I forgot about an experience at Borders in that it was several months ago, when I was only on the fringe of redoing my HT. You're right; same blank stare, etc...

Except originally, they had a small, separate display of them in the middle of an open area. When I returned a few weeks later, the discs had been "absorbed" into the regular bins.

I've bought online also, but I'm really trying to buy local when I can. As another mentioned, sometimes it's worth a couple of extra dollars to have it right away rather than waiting for shipping. But also, naive is it might be, I'm hoping that if the number of discs sold climb a bit in the local stores, they might see it as a growing format and allocate more to their stock instead of less as others are doing.

Right now, my local Best Buy is the ONLY dealer that has them separate from the regular discs. I'm buying two or three dics a week and trying to keep most of those purchases local when they actually have a disc I'm interested in!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020