Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
proud of canadia product but not p
#66962 11/02/04 05:27 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
proud of our great canadia product but not proud of live in Canada. I have to pay 15% more to get my "Axiom"! Thinking of moving to south. sigh........

Epic 80 System HTPC Benq 6200 FP Denon 3805 Xbox(Mod)
Re: proud of canadia product but not p
#66963 11/02/04 05:50 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. If you don't like it in the Great White North............................C-Ya! Why is it guy's with only a few posts always post the stupidest of things?

#66964 11/02/04 05:55 AM
shareholder in the making
Dude, that's kind of harsh.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#66965 11/02/04 06:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not at all. I thought I was dam conservative to tell you the truth. What exactly does his post have to do with Home Theatre anyway? I'm sorry but I stand by my post. If he doesn't like it here, MOVE.............now..............please!

I would be curious how some here would react if the dude lived in the US and posted this BS. If there is one thing that I have always admired about my Americans friends, it's how proud most are to be American. I doubt some of the proud Americans here would let a crack like that slip by without saying something.

It was a dumb post. Plain and simple.

#66966 11/02/04 06:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
John,

Come back in the morning and reread his post. He's just complaining that he has to pay 15% more than others to get his Axioms. So it did have something to do with home theater, after all. Are you saying he doesn't have the right to complain that he has to pay 15% more?

Every free person has the right to complain about his countries policies that affect him negatively. We Americans do it all the time. His "not proud to live in Canada" was ill advised, but I doubt he meant it literally. You were pretty quick to take it personally and come out shooting. Take it easy, will ya. The angrier you are, the slower you should be to post.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#66967 11/02/04 02:54 PM
old hand
old hand
Yes he has the "right to complain". But don't you think it's a bit of a stretch to say that you aren't proud to live in Canada because you have to pay 15% more for some speakers?
While Canada is not perfect, no country can say that they are. Is Canada not consistently ranked at the top of countries in the world to live?

I agree with NeverHappy, I am Canadian and very proud to be one. If it takes something as trivial as what, 15% on some speakers for someone to say they are not proud of this country then go buy your one way ticket somewhere and tell us how great it is.

#66968 11/02/04 03:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well it's the am and I'm back and reread the post. I still think it's BS and I have every right to call him out for making a stupid comment. As for me being angry, not at all.

In reply to:

but not proud of live in Canada

That says it all. There is no way to misinterpret that comment.

In reply to:

I am Canadian and very proud to be one. If it takes something as trivial as what, 15% on some speakers for someone to say they are not proud of this country then go buy your one way ticket somewhere and tell us how great it is.

Glad to see I'm not only one!

#66969 11/02/04 03:42 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
ok, guys
just take it easy and stop talking about it. We come here just for a happy time.
monitor, could you please delete this thread?

#66970 11/02/04 03:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No mods here. You post it, you have to live with it.

#66971 11/02/04 03:51 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Sheesh - take it easy on him. This is supposed to be a friendly place where people can learn more about Axiom products. If you want to give people the impression that all Axiom owners are belligerent, unfriendly people, please take that to another forum. (This also applies to the people who debase Axiom because the production is not completely vertically integrated.) He was just stating that he didn't want to pay an extra 15% for speakers when he could get them at the regular price elsewhere. He was obviously joking when saying he wasn't proud to be a Canadian. Not everything is exactly as it is written; the skill of taking things in context is important, not only in forums but in everyday life.

Additionally: Don't you think you give people who aren't Canadian a bad taste of what it is to be Canadian by being angry with a fellow Canadian?

Why has there been so much bickering on these boards lately? I know that it has killed my willingness to check them often. The Quality Posts : Junk Flames ratio is decreasing very rapidly, and I believe it is due to people just simply not being cordial to their fellow forum members.

#66972 11/02/04 03:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dont make me stop this car!

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#66973 11/02/04 04:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Sheesh - take it easy on him. This is supposed to be a friendly place where people can learn more about Axiom products. If you want to give people the impression that all Axiom owners are belligerent, unfriendly people, please take that to another forum. (This also applies to the people who debase Axiom because the production is not completely vertically integrated.) He was just stating that he didn't want to pay an extra 15% for speakers when he could get them at the regular price elsewhere. He was obviously joking when saying he wasn't proud to be a Canadian. Not everything is exactly as it is written; the skill of taking things in context is important, not only in forums but in everyday life.

How do you come to the conclusion that my post is somehow a reflection of Axiom owners? Let's keep this real and in the right context. You seem to be an expert on context so practise what you preech. As for him joking, how do you know what he was thinking? he posted it, came back and made no attempt to explain the context of what he meant. Therefore as far as I'm concerned, his comment was made and he has no intentions on correcting it. Therefore one can assume that he meant it in the manner I took it. As for the skill required to take things in context, first let me point out that I find your comment somewhat condescending and please don't lecture me on how you think I should take things. I'm free to draw my own conclusions as are you.

#66974 11/02/04 04:10 PM
Is it sacrilegious to modify "Oh Canada"?

O Canada!
Axiom's home and native land!
True bass love that all thy woofers command.

With Towering M80s we see thee rise,
The True Midrange strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Soundstage, we listen on guard for thee.

God keep our Axioms glorious and free…(well, a good value anyway)!
O Axiom, we stand on guard for thee.

O Axiom, we stand on guard for thee.

(Even if Canadians have to pay some sort of tax that I'm not entirely familiar with)

Patriotically American,

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#66975 11/02/04 04:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Additionally: Don't you think you give people who aren't Canadian a bad taste of what it is to be Canadian by being angry with a fellow Canadian?

I noticed that you came back and did an edit. How exactly do you figure? Americans don't have problems with other Americans? Italians don't have issues with other Italians? If anything people should get the impression that there are a few Canadians who take remarks of his nature seriously and some of us are proud to be Canadians and we take offence when someone has something negative to say about being a Canuck.

#66976 11/02/04 04:10 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I'm joking!! not averyone is fool.

#66977 11/02/04 04:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
John,

Like it or not, you represent Axiom on this board. Strangers come here looking for information and guidance. Consider how your posts look to them. Nasty stuff.

I think your interpretation of what he had to say, says more about you than it does him.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#66978 11/02/04 04:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Holy crap I didn't realize that so many here have the ability to judge other people. I will back down to keep the peace but please don't give me the high road that my post's reflect on this board badly. Check some of the other threads currently going. Rank this one against those and then tell me how badly this one ranks.

In reply to:

I'm joking!! not averyone is fool.

Give me a break. Calling me a fool will only make this worse. The easy way out was to come back and say you were joking. Your calling me names but everyone here is sticking up for you. Go figure eh!

#66979 11/02/04 04:25 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

How do you come to the conclusion that my post is somehow a reflection of Axiom owners? Let's keep this real and in the right context.

OK so you are NOT an Axiom owner (I was unaware of this), but this is still "supposed to be a friendly place where people can learn more about Axiom products. If you want to give people the impression that all Axiom owners are belligerent, unfriendly people, please take that to another forum." So what I said earlier can definitely still apply. How is that request out of context?

In reply to:

As for him joking, how do you know what he was thinking? he posted it, came back and made no attempt to explain the context of what he meant. Therefore as far as I'm concerned, his comment was made and he has no intentions on correcting it. Therefore one can assume that he meant it in the manner I took it.

I ASSUME that it is a joke because who seriously cares that much about a negligible increase in purchase price to dislike their home land because of that? It is so ridiculous to think that someone would actually be serious because there are so many more important issues that determine one's love for country.

In reply to:

As for him joking, how do you know what he was thinking? he posted it, came back and made no attempt to explain the context of what he meant. Therefore as far as I'm concerned, his comment was made and he has no intentions on correcting it. Therefore one can assume that he meant it in the manner I took it.

I apologize for seeming condescending, but I just wanted to make the point that people should use common sense before posting something. Now you may say that his comment lacked that, but I feel that since it was easily interpreted as a joke, it did not constitute something lacking in common sense.

Also if one is to "practise (sic) what you preech (sic)," wouldn't that person not be "somewhat condescending" to a new member of the boards? If you want to give a good impression of our community, please be friendly. If not, well you can take your own advice: "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

One thing that I didn't mention earlier was that palapala was trying to apologize for what he said "ok, guys
just take it easy and stop talking about it. We come here just for a happy time.
monitor, could you please delete this thread,"
yet you would not let it go. How can that be considered friendly?

On your side, though:
In reply to:

I noticed that you came back and did an edit. How exactly do you figure? Americans don't have problems with other Americans? Italians don't have issues with other Italians? If anything people should get the impression that there are a few Canadians who take remarks of his nature seriously and some of us are proud to be Canadians and we take offence when someone has something negative to say about being a Canuck.

I agree with you there.

#66980 11/02/04 04:29 PM
In reply to:

please don't give me the high road

Huh? The high road would have been you NOT jumping on the guy for posting a humorous complaint. Sometimes people over-react. Some of them also realize it an apologize.

#66981 11/02/04 04:31 PM
old hand
old hand
I don't really see where the "interpretation" is here. The original post said that because he had to pay 15% more for speakers that he wanted to move south.
Is that not correct?

Here's my two cents here and you can agree with it or disagree. The original poster just wanted to make a complaint about the tax situation. We all do it. In fact I complain about things in Canada all the time. That's everyone's perogative. I can't speak for NeverHappy but what upsets me is when someone says they are going to leave Canada because they had to pay 15% more for some speakers. I'm not going to apologize for taking offense to that.

I do think the original poster was trying to make a "joke". In my opinion it was in poor taste and I believe that I have the right to express my disagreement with it.

#66982 11/02/04 04:32 PM
I have to agree with Jack, go browns, on this one. I don't hang out on AVS as much anymore, because I got sick of all the bull$%#$. Yes, some people start threads that seem rediculous to others, and may offend. I've learned to just ignore them and not post a reply, they will get the hint if nobody responds.

Axiom is awesome, and they didn't make the 15% rule. And by the way, us down here in the states like our neighbors upstairs, especially when I go Musky and Northern fishing......he he

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#66983 11/02/04 04:33 PM
In response to the bit about Americans bashing other Americans for "not liking America," I hate those people. We have a right to free speech, which means a right to complain. Besides, it was an off the cuff comment. Cut it out, NH.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#66984 11/02/04 04:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

OK so you are NOT an Axiom owner (I was unaware of this)

The fact that I'm not a current Axiom owner has squat to do with anything. I have owned more Axiom products then most people in here. It has no bearing on anything.

In reply to:

please take that to another forum

To be honest, it just may come to this. Either way I'm done. I told Jack I would back off and so I'm going to back off.

#66985 11/02/04 04:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

In my opinion it was in poor taste and I believe that I have the right to express my disagreement with it.

I agree with you but I seem to be the only one. What is with all the band wagon jumpers around here? Maybe all you guy's complaining about bad threads should just stay out of them. It's great that everyone comes in and say's it was joke. Great, that is the way you took it. It's not the way I took it. Remember that when your sitting here passing out your judgement.

#66986 11/02/04 04:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I agree with you but I seem to be the only one.

I never said that I didn't think it was in poor taste, I merely said that it was intended as a joke. Also, as you can see, this is the first time recently that I jump in to a thread that gets out of hand. I have intentionally stayed away from the "where is xxxxx manufactured" and "country xxx is inferior to country yyy" to not offend others. I feel that I am far from a "band wagon jumper," but I could be mistaken or could be interpreting my actions incorrectly. I also see your side that not everyone would take it as a joke, but I hope you can see that most people here DO indeed take it as one.

#66987 11/02/04 04:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It was a somewhat useless post for others, but I know that many people (me included) have needed to "vent" frustration somewhere from time to time.

Personally, I have only been to Canada once, and I thought that it was pretty nice. I did not hit all of the tourist areas, so I think that I saw "normal" Canada. This was many years ago, and the biggest thing that I remember was how CLEAN everything was. It just seemed so refreshing compared to the US. And this from a guy who lives in Iowa where it is fairly clean compared to major cites.

Oh, I was at a tech conference a couple of weeks ago, and I had dinner with a few folks form the "Great White North" and they were yapping about how expensive it is in Canada for taxes. How much you get "dinged" for the "free" health insurance, etc. But you know what, they said that even still, they love Canada so much that they would never leave...

Seems to me that Canada is a good place to live.... So what if you have to pay a little more. "You get what you pay for" so to speak...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#66988 11/02/04 05:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think i will just stay right down here in texas..

you guys are cracking me up...

we should have some cheese, with all this 'whine'..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#66989 11/02/04 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I love Texas bigjohn but the whine crack wasn't nessecasry. I have only had the pleasure once but I thoroughly enjoyed my time. Everyone was incredibly friendly and everyone seemed to get a real kick on me being a Canuck. Everyone commented on my accent. Made me laugh but in the end I left with very fond memories of Texas.

Only reason I bring it up is the fact that a few folks I work with painted a completely different picture. I got there thinking everyone carried a gun and those that didn't wanted one. I found that was simply untrue.

#66990 11/02/04 05:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
By the way, I don't have an accent! ..........at least I don't think I do!

#66991 11/02/04 05:16 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

thinking everyone carried a gun

I DO!!

i like to think we are just some good 'ole boys down here.. it takes a lot to get my feathers all ruffled up. and we sure enjoy when ya'll 'yankees' come to visit.. it reminds us how lucky we are to be here. and i mean that in a good, joking way..

its funny you mention your accent, cause everytime i go elsewhere, thats the first thing people mention about me.. if you think my accent is bad, go to alabama, or kentucky, or the worst of all, new jersey.

i tried to watch that show about the gotti kids.. i couldnt understand a word they were saying...?

bigjohn

#66992 11/02/04 05:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My brother-in-law is married to a girl from Mississippi, you want to talk about an accent, WOW does she have one. Some of the sayings that come out her mouth leave me baffled as more often then not, I don't have a clue what the hell she is talking about!

#66993 11/02/04 05:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I dont carry a gun, but my covered wagon has over 200,000 miles on it.
My accent is so bad, that even fellow Texans make fun of it.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#66994 11/02/04 05:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Don't mess with Texas! Dam I love that saying!

#66995 11/02/04 05:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
John (NH)
Come on down, I'll take you cow tipping.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#66996 11/02/04 05:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Heck, we got that up here! I'm surrounded by farms now! What I want is some good old Texas BBQ. I use to think Canucks knew how to BBQ..........that was till I got to Texas. Everywhere I went down there someone was having a BBQ. Was it a fluke or do you Texans really like to barbeque?

#66997 11/02/04 05:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We do LOVE our BBQ. Smoked brisket is my favorite "football watching" food.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#66998 11/02/04 05:44 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Was it a fluke or do you Texans really like to barbeque?

if you ask me, i think it should be an olympic event.

brisket is good.. i prefer pork. and every texas town has a BBQ joint. just follow the smoke.

bigjohn

#66999 11/02/04 05:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK bigjohn
When your here next month Babybacks it is.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#67000 11/02/04 05:58 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
hey man.. that works for me.. i will bring the cold beer and tater salad!!

bigjohn

#67001 11/02/04 06:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I love Tater salad!!!!!! You guys are making me hungry!

#67002 11/02/04 06:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
John (NH)
Come on down with bigjohn. I'm sure there will be enough to go around.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#67003 11/02/04 07:59 PM
I believe I have just witnessed the best thread-jacking in Axiom board history. Saved by the 'cue.

#67004 11/02/04 08:20 PM
And I thought my standing in the background singing the modified "Oh Canada" would have diverted the flow.

I guess you can never go wrong with food, especially when the arguement is taking place at lunch time in most of the time zones...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#67005 11/02/04 08:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Texans are good at changing the subject. Especially when the new subject is Q.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#67006 11/02/04 08:46 PM
The big question is, what subject is worthy to change to FROM bbq?

#67007 11/02/04 08:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Newbie...................................BEER of course!

#67008 11/02/04 08:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
free beer

#67009 11/02/04 08:48 PM
old hand
old hand
Think "education, healthcare, retirement" before you "move South"

#67010 11/02/04 08:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
good timing

#67011 11/02/04 08:55 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

free beer

you forgot cold beer!!

bigjohn

#67012 11/02/04 08:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FREE COLD BEER!!!!

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#67013 11/02/04 10:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How ironic! A student this morning asked my aid and I in which country (outside the US) we would most like to live.
I think we both agreed either Canada (despite the cold and taxes) or Australia (despite the snakes and spiders).

BTW, bugzyseg, I think you would like it down here. Your superior education would virtually guarantee success.

#67014 11/03/04 05:47 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Canada gets my vote.....that is if I had to pick another country, but them northern European women sure are hotties.....hmmmm, well maybe second place to Sweden.

I've been all over the world and have been to some pretty spectacular places and met a multitude of wonderful people, but I love my country and can't imagine living anywhere else. And I mean the US of A, not Alaska. It may seem funny, but a lot of folks in other parts of the world think Alaska is it's own country. When I was in the military, the locals would hate me until they found out I was an Alaskan, then all was good and free drinks would start coming.

As far as the original post, quite frankly, I would have found it offensive if I was Canadian. But the response was a bit harsh as well. So why don't you to make up over a FREE BEER!

So how about some smoked Alaskan Red Salmon dip with that Brisket? And by the way, Texas is the SECOND largest state in the US.

#67015 11/04/04 01:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Holy crap. I came on the boards to try and take my mind off what a foul mood I'm in, and I read this thread. Must be something in the air...or the election.

#67016 11/04/04 01:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This thread is a dead issue unless you want to talk BBQ. I saw I spoke, I moved on to far better things!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters