Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M40ti - first impressions and tech question...
#6813 11/12/02 06:34 PM
nowave Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi all,

I just received my pair of M40's... I started off looking at much smaller speakers, but my girlfriend liked the bigger speakers and I ended up with the M40s. In the end, I think this is best, since they cost only a little more than M22's, and a smaller speaker with stands doesn't really take up any less space.

The first time I listened - I was VERY impressed. I'm taking a big step up from a pair of 2-way 8" JBLs... I was expecting the bass response to be slightly less, but I was surprised to find the bass equal, if not better (in terms of repsonse - clarity was MUCH better). The midrage was, of course, fantastic.

One thing I noticed when listening to vinyl is a semi-rapid movement of the woofer, even in silent portions of the record. I believe this is referred to as "flutter." I had adjusted the tonearm some and reduced this (tracking angle) - does anyone have any other insight into possible causes of this? I assume that it's not good for the speaker. I do have a subsonic filter on my amp that is turned on, btw.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase... I do need to get some new speaker wire, etc. etc.... also might look into an amp upgrade at a later date (mine is a 35watt solid state, but drives it nicely)...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: M40ti - first impressions and tech question...
#6814 11/13/02 05:46 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
It's been so long since I had woofer cones I could watch (I'd been living with Magneplanars for almost 20 years before changing over to speakers that just happen to have non-removable grilles), all I can recall is that the effect you witness is the result of a resonance set up by the mass of your tonearm and the compliance of your cartridge. Neither is adjustable, though I seem to also recall that you can affect a small change by adjusting the tracking force (within the cartridge's recommended limits of course). I've never known anyone to worry about it to any great extent, as long as the woofers aren't bottoming out, or the resulting high-amplitude subsonic signal isn't overloading a tape deck or something like that while you try to record. Then it gets _really_ frustrating.

Craig

#6815 11/13/02 10:38 PM
buff
buff
Nowave,

If we're experiencing the same phenomenon, you may wish to read this thread. Cheers!

DS.

#6816 11/14/02 05:40 PM
nowave Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Dave,

THANKS!

I was sure that my problem was not subsonic, since I do have my subsonic filter on... but I experimented by standing still and watching the woofer, and then walking around the record player with lighter and heavier steps... and you are right that it's subsonic interference - the heavier I step, the more it flaps.

My subsonic filter is only a 15hz filter .... so I might just have to try your "placemat" solution in addition to the subsonic filter.

Thanks for the help!

#6817 11/15/02 08:32 AM
buff
buff
I'm glad to have helped. Those flying drivers can be somewhat unsettling, eh? Enjoy the vinyl, and cheers!

DS.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters