Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mounting QS2 surrounds on ceiling
#6828 11/13/02 09:37 PM
D
DanielN Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Does anyone have experience mounting QS2's on the ceiling? If so what bracket/mounts did you use. Im looking for speaker mounts and im getting frustrated. Looks like im going to have to drill a hole(s) in the back of the speakers as well.

Re: Mounting QS2 surrounds on ceiling
#6829 11/13/02 10:37 PM
veteran
veteran
Axiom was/is going to introduce some nice universal mounting brackets that would do the trick for you. I am not sure of the current status of this product, but i am sure in short order some one will post an answer to this for you. The other solution would be to get some custom brackets made. I have made several Aluminum, multi configuration brackets for other people to mount the QS line to the ceiling the only problem is they are not cheap. A pair of brackets with a black anodized finish will run you around $170.00

#6830 11/14/02 04:40 AM
D
DanielN Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Is that in US or Canadian dollars? Also do you have a link to any pictures of them? I might be interested anyway.

#6831 11/16/02 02:08 AM
veteran
veteran
That would be CDN and I will see if I can dig up some of the pics, otherwise I will post a rendered image from the CAD program some time this weekend.

Cheers
John

#6832 11/17/02 04:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
John, i think you've found yourself a whole new line of work, building the best home speaker brackets.
It surely is a wide open market considering how few decent brackets/companies i've seen out there.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#6833 11/17/02 08:02 PM
veteran
veteran
Hi Chess,

The problem is that the public generally do not want pay for the cost of making these mounts. Unless you can mass produce them and do it cheaply the market becomes really limited to a few people that want and need a custom job done, and are willing to pay for it. How many people do you think would be willing to pay the actual price I would have to charge to make a set of mounts like for example the VP ceiling mounts I made for my HT, those mounts if I had to sell them for a profit would be over $500.00. Even making the aluminum brackets (rendering will be posted later tonight) I make no money on these at all, if I had to make one set of brackets and then send them alone for anodizing it would actually cost me money to make them. I do it because I enjoy doing small projects like this one for people that do not have the facilities or abilities to do so. I keep the cost down by sending the parts in for anodizing along with a batch of our normal production parts so I do not have to pay the $90.00 minimum charge for the anodizing service. Sometimes this means that a set of brackets would take a couple of weeks to deliver to someone. Now If I could say get orders for 20 sets then I can do it and divide the anodizing cost between the 20 sets and I would make some profit from this.

Cheers
John.

#6834 11/17/02 10:19 PM
veteran
veteran
Here is the link to the rendering of the mounts,

Custom QS mounts

I have also included a rendering of an easy to make DYI ceiling mount, these can be made with a couple blocks of wood and some dowel, and a small piece of Aluminum plate that can be purchased at any Home Depot or Builders supply.

DYI Mounts

#6835 11/18/02 04:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well now that is the key isn't it?
Building a company that can make a good product at a reasonable price.
With today's level of technological savvy, i cannot believe that someone doesn't know how to make a good wall /ceiling bracket without breaking the bank.

There is a local company that builds outdoor, wooden, benchseat swings and sells them for $500. The cost of such an item at any other local store (i.e. Canadian Tire, Home Depot) nearly exceeds $1000.
So what is the difference?
cheap wood? Nope.
shoddy workmanship? Nope.
Non-profit organization? Yup.

Even big business will avoid smaller ventures if they cannot make 'enough' money from a product. If that cost-return simply isn't high enough then why build it eh?
This is a greedy greedy world.

GO KYOTO!!!

And thats my rant for the day.

#6836 11/18/02 04:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice mounts John.

#6837 11/18/02 04:57 PM
veteran
veteran
Chess,

I hear you on this, and not everyone is out to make huge profits on everything we do. I have done my share of non-profit work for lots of customers. Yes these things can be done for a very reasonable price but the key word is volume. If you undertake to make these mounts and can get the volume sales then you can have these things churned out by the thousands by Manuel Labor and his cousins in Mexico or off shore in Taiwan where the productions costs are 1/10 of what they are in North America.

On a small scale I dont mind at all doing it for the people that need them, I just won't do it at a loss, if I can cover the costs of production and the CNC mill is not busy on a job, I am happy to do it. Its good practice for our young apprentice, as long as nobody wants them delivered yesterday. It's the one and two piece orders that are costly, well how knows if my business turns slow in other areas maybe I will branch out and start marketing some new products.

Cheers John.

#6838 11/19/02 03:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Who knows John.
Perhaps a contracting future with Axiom Audio to design new brackets.

#6839 11/21/02 04:17 PM
veteran
veteran
Speaking of brackets does anyone know what has happened to the new brackets that Axiom is/was going to introduce?

In the intrim period if anyone has requirements for brackets or needs high quality custom wood or metal mounts made, I would be happy to look at the requirements and help with the design or even building them for you.

Cheers
John.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082