Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anybody been down this road?
#6928 11/20/02 05:36 PM
drew8mc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I'm currently considering buying a DVD player with onboard Dolby Digital and DTS decoding. This allows me to pick up a decent used processor for cheap that is maybe only pro-logic compatible, but has six channel analog inputs. My question is whether or not I'm still able to utilize functions like adjusting the presence or absence of a subwoofer, selecting small or large speakers, etc, provided of course the processor normally has these functions. Has anyone tried this route before. Has anyone added an external DTS or DD processor to their existing gear. Any help would be well....helpful.

Re: Anybody been down this road?
#6929 11/20/02 05:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi drew8mc,

If you're getting a DVD player with on-board Dolby Digital/dts decoding, you don't need a processor! The DEcoder in your DVD player does all the 5.1-channel decoding (as well as setup for speakers); you just take the six analog outputs from the DVD player and connect them to some old amps you may have kicking around or to an older receiver with analog inputs.

A DVD player without on-board DD/dts decoders simply passes the Dolby Digital or dts bitstream to an OUTboard decoder, either a separate one or one built into a modern A/V receiver.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#6930 11/20/02 07:36 PM
drew8mc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi Alan,
My guess is, however, that volume control is not handled by the dvd player, so it's not simply a matter of connecting the analog sections to a 5 channel power amp. Some sort of volume control is necessary. If there is a dvd player out there with a master volume control, I'm all for it.

Basically, what I now have is a decent 2 channel setup, and since I've already invested in amplification for 2 channels, I'm trying to find the easiest way to include that amplification in a 5 channel home theater. Bells and whistles aren't my thing, so something that decodes DD and DTS, with options to dial in the right sound and amplification for 3 channels is all I really need.

#6931 11/22/02 08:04 PM
buff
buff
If you can find a used Yamaha DSR70Pro, that would do the trick nicely. It was originally intended to be an add-on to Yamaha's old DSP1 processor to upgrade it to the 'new' Pro-Logic. It has six channel in and six channel out with master volume control (no remote though) and has on board Pro-Logic decoding too (which you would not need).
I have one I'm not using and would sell if you are near the Ottawa area.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044