Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: OT: Racing
#71256 12/10/04 08:53 PM
dmn23 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hey, I learned my lesson. I didn't take the NASCAR bait, I didn't take the French bait...you won't ever hear a crack like that again from me!

On a more serious note, I think you're right when you say that it just comes down to what you're used to. I've never been able to get into NASCAR, but I have respect for the fact that it's far more of a level playing field than F1 could ever hope to be. Gracefully and humbly begging your pardon, but I sincerely doubt there is as much (or anywhere near) the amount of state of the art technology in NASCAR. That's the whole point of F1, and one of its biggest weaknesses and sources of criticism.

By its very nature, F1 operates in a realm where the GNP of Iceland probably wouldn't be enough to field a team for one season. After the FIA was mentioned, I went out to their site to review the rulebooks for the 2005 season. Before you build an engine, hire a driver or pay an engineering team or anything close to building a car, there's a $48 million application fee just to compete for the season. FORTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS just for the "privilege" of placing two cars on a grid. You and I and everyone else here (including Stuart, I suspect) know that's completely insane and reprehensively vulgar. But that's the sport.

In terms of competition, I'd have to tip my hat to NASCAR. The guys are neck and neck and there's more passing than almost any other category of motorsport I can think of. When it comes to "Holy Christ, those guys are nuts" entertainment value, give me a WRC any day of the week. But there's just something about the F1 circus that will remain near and dear to my heart. And it is a shame that it's never really caught on here, because there's certainly a romance and glamour to it that few other sports offer.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#71257 12/10/04 09:29 PM
veteran
veteran
I agree that F1 budgets are out of control, luckily some it finds it's way into my pockets so I can't complain too loudly! I went to the Daytona 500 a couple of years ago (my only NASCAR experience) and it was certainly entertaining, but not my cup of tea really. On the US open wheel front it will be really interesting to see the IRL cars at Watkins Glen and the other road courses this year. I hope it will eventually be like CART was at it's prime.

#71258 12/10/04 09:48 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Didn't want to make it seem like I was bashing NASCAR. I'm sure they have a lot of talent. I just wasn't interested in watching it on TV! I'm the same way with football. If I go to a game, I have a blast (or at least I did when I was in college), but watching it on TV does nothing for me.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#71259 12/10/04 10:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Growing up, my younger brothers and I were big Richard Petty fans. Reminds me of when one of my brothers built a model of Petty's car...came out great. Then our youngest brother took it to bed and put it under his pillow.....it didn't survive the night...when he woke up it was in pieces. What a scene that caused!

Then when I was in junior high, my Dad bought a Lancia Coupe(basicly a nicer Fiat at the time), and then I got into rally car racing....I think that is some crazy racing.

I my uncles helped fuel the car interests with their Datsun 510's and VW Sciroccos with headers and hard as a rock Konis. It was A LOT of fun to ride with them places!

I am still enjoy rally car and open wheel now.

#71260 12/10/04 10:32 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
hands down, the best racing i have ever seen, was at the fayeteville raceway in fayeteville, north carolina. it was a 1/2 mile dirt oval, and they raced several different classes(4cyl, 6cyl, stock 8, mod 8, etc). when i was stationed at ft bragg, we used to go out there every saturday night, and had a blast.. you wanna talk about guys that took this stuff serious.. about 2-3 times a year, the big 8cylinder winged sprint cars would come there.. talk about fast.. i swear, for only a 1/2 mile track, those guys were moving.. it was like a constant power slide, or drift as they like to call it now-a-days. most fun i have ever had at a race track.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 1,200 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup