M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
Re: Vp150 off axis problem........
#71472 12/11/04 10:16 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Actually, I've been holding my breath hoping to avoid that experience again!

#71473 12/11/04 10:19 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Not certain just yet. I think we might be doing ok so far.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#71474 12/11/04 11:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Fingers crossed!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#71475 12/12/04 01:45 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well I guess some don’t really want to hear my thoughts about the 2 centers.....shame some are so close minded.

I always thought the purpose of message boards were to have an open forum about likes, and yes, dis-likes.

Believe me I wouldn’t trade my Axiom M60’s for double the price I paid for them, the same goes for my little M3ti’s. I am totally happy with both of them; both sets of speakers have gone far beyond my expectations.

I would be lying if I said I was content with the sound from my VP150, and that is o.k. heck axiom hit 2 home runs for me, out of the park home runs! I don’t know of any speaker company that can cover the total spectrum of a home theater application, to Axioms credit they have provided me with 2 sets of speakers that are incredible.

Now for my honest thoughts of the 2 centers…………listening to Bad Boys2, Finding Nemo, playing some true 5.1 halo2, and Monsters Inc., for me the Paradigm, to my ears, sounds more natural and is harder to locate its actual position. I find male voices are more naturally tuned and it does not have the unnatural high S’s in words with the sss sound. Does this mean 1 is better than the other? Absolutely not, I am only stating my personal preference.

Anyone with any knowledge of this hobby surely knows reviews are nothing more than a basic guideline and the only one who can decide which is better for themselves is by personally setting it up in their home and using their own ears. I consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity to audition both of these fine speakers.

#71476 12/12/04 02:47 AM
devotee
devotee
I, for one, appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I find there are so many factors in the sound that one can't factor sound alone to just speakers, or just receivers, or just DVD players, but everything plays a factor in the overall sound. People sometimes say one is MORE important than the other. I have to, after personal expereince swapping all three of these things over and over again that EVERYTHING is VERY important.

I've personally not much experience with Paradigm, though I have heard them. But what I want to interject, since you seem very open to experimenting, is that a change of receiver or moreso, amplification, can make a big difference and really close the gap between the Paradigm and Axiom for you.

But...if you feel that you've found a sound your happy with, more power to you. That's what we all seek. Where the Axioms come in as really great is great sound and a great price. Especially when compared to the other giants Paradigm and B&W.

So again, please don't take offense to the sceptic thoughts on the VP-150 that we've had here. It's just that we've been this route before (myself included starting a thread). Its apparent to me the VP-150 isn't flawless (sorry guys) just by the sheer fact that it comes up so much...either that or it's a picky speaker. I've gotten used to mine and things don't bother me much. Part of it is in the calibration. Part of it is in it's location (which seems to be a common culprit).

So, I just thought I'd throw some additional thought on the subject. Some of you have heard all of this before, but it's always good to remember the newbies or people who haven't had a chance to read the backlogs of the forum (as it is extensive).

Peace

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
#71477 12/12/04 02:58 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Misfit_Toy,

Thank you, I agree we all are on a quest for that ideal sound for our dollar spent. The only constant in all of this is that everyone hears thing a bit different.

Thanks Again.

#71478 12/12/04 04:17 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
GeneticDrift, I think you misunderstood. This was a little insider joke based on a guy who had an issue with his 150 similar to what you describe. He turned a simple discussion into an onerus, egregious, draconian, full scale, long term, take no prisoners, bang your forehead against the wall, make no sense, troll acting out dummy contest of major proportions. It was nothing but an exercise in obssessive pain infliction of bizarre proportions. Perhaps the worst thing I've ever seen in a forum anywhere. And by the way, I don't think I've overstated the issue.

Nobody here is taking issue with your subject or with your input. The older denizens here were simple recalling that wicked exchange and hoping mightily that that guy didn't come across the thread somehow (shudder) and re-ignite.

You should, by all means, feel free to contribute whatever you would like and there will always be help offered in return. Again, please don't misunderstand the exchange - it really had nothing to do with you.

#71479 12/12/04 06:45 AM
veteran
veteran
Does CC-370 blend well w/ M60?

#71480 12/12/04 07:30 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Actually they sound very well together. So well that something interesting happened tonight while watching Dodge ball.

About 1 hour into the movie I noticed I actually was just enjoying the movie. I hadn’t once been drawn to the center speakers sound...........I actually forgot about it! This is something that hadn’t happened with either my old Infinity center or my VP150.

WOW! I was actually enjoying a movie without being distracted, finally great sound that doesn’t draw attention to itself. This was the 1st time I actually got to enjoy a movie this way. Who would have thought it would be something you don’t hear that would make all the difference.

I know many talk of timbre matching etc. but I honestly think having a subtle timbre difference in the center channel indeed makes it more realistic. You have to try it to see what I mean but now the sound is not dominated by a certain character, just as in real life everything in your surroundings has its own range, it adds to the dimension.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,481
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters