Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M22ti as Horizontal Center Channel?
#7215 12/11/02 05:02 AM
LGn Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone tried using an M22ti as a Center Channel when placed horizontally?

I know the cabinet design would require a lift in the back for proper angling when the speaker is placed above a TV, but I've read a couple of different pieces suggesting an MMT center-speaker arrangement may yield better sound than the standard MTM arrangement.

The intended listening area is not very large or long, so it is unlikely that the position far off from the tweeter side would be negatively affected. In fact, the pieces I've read suggest that the MMT arrangement produces less of an on/off-axis problem.

Thanks for the input.

Re: M22ti as Horizontal Center Channel?
#7216 12/11/02 09:29 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
There's been quite a bit of discussion on the board touching on this area. You might do a one year search using "horizontal"(and)"M22" and "M22"(and)"center". Note especially Alan 3/20 and Ian 3/30 on HT.

My own preference isn't horizontal orientation at all, but rather a vertical M2 if Axiom speakers are involved.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

M2i as center channel
#7217 12/12/02 08:34 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I concur with veteran, JohnK.

From my own experience, an M2i serves extremely well as a small center channel speaker. I really couldn't ask for more in my medium-sized room. Cheaper than the vp100, yet more flexible and capable at presenting center channel information.
The M2i's vertical orientation makes for a w-i-d-e listening area that flanking couch potatoes will welcome.

Re: M2i as center channel
#7218 12/12/02 11:01 PM
veteran
veteran
How is the M2i more capable and flexible as a center channel speaker? I am getting ready to order my own setup and would like to know why this would be the case.

Re: M2i as center channel
#7219 12/12/02 11:57 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
getoffb,

My thoughts on the M2i as center channel was in comparison to the vp100, which is a good, albeit typical w-t-w (w=woofer; t=tweeter) center speaker. When placed horizontally, the vp100 exhibits typical lobing effect to the sound that makes the sweet spot for dialog intelligibility rather small in comparison to an M2i placed vertically. The difference becomes more pronounced the wider one's home-theater room is.

While one can place a vp100 vertically in order to get better dispersion of sound ("ooh grandma, what a TALL center speaker you have..."), the tweeter then sits higher from the televsion screen than if positioned horizontally, or if one placed a single M2i upside-down on top of the television. This results is slightly less focus of center channel information, meaning you begin to "hear" the dialog not so much from the actors who are "locked on" the screen, but rather from slightly above them, which can be a little disconcerting.

To me, an inverted M2i, in comparison to the vp100, makes the best trade-off for a small center-channel speaker, providing excellent dispersion while maintaining good focus.

The M2i is quite a versatile little speaker that I think would work equally well as surround speakers as it does as a center speaker, or as mains (in conjunction with a good sub). In fact, five of these little wonders with a good sub would make for one formidable home theater and music system, IMO.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

-alanS.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,034 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup