Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New proud owner of a pair of M60ti...
#7610 01/07/03 01:36 AM
regular
regular
I'm replying to myself in order to give an updated account of my M60 experience. In my last post I indicated I was a bit let down by the sound I was getting. I have to admit I thought about returning the M60s and I love the fact that Axiom has given me that option but in the end it just didn't seem right. I have many, many CDS that make these speakers sound absolutely fabulous and I have a few that perhaps someone needs to go back and remix.... I'm listening to Wilco right now and it's completely apparent to me that Jeff Tweedy or whomever mixed this really knows what they are doing. An old Heart CD I have sounds amazing. Radiohead, Pink Floyd, both as you'd expect top quality stuff. But then there are some clunkers and I'm not sure why they just don't sound good to me. U2 comes to mind, but that is actually what turned things around for me. I went to Circuit City andI know it's not an optimal listening enviornment but at least I can play around with the equipment without pestering a salesperson. I tried each of their Polk speakers from the R50 on up and I found that the higher in price I went the worse they seemed to sound with U2. And that did it for me. If I didn't like the sound of U2 on the $1000 polks I doubt I'd ever like it on anything other than the car radio where I listen to it most. Bottom line is don't be afraid of the M60s because of my opinion. In the end I found that I really do enjoy them, it just took awhile for me to figure that out

#7611 01/07/03 08:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have used the resistors from Joe on my M60's and find that they changed the sound very little. I had an issue from my ears being fatigued when listening for more than 15-20 min at a time. It "fixed" my problem. I didn't have another set of M60's to A/B with so I didn't notice anything missing. Hope this helps. Only thing you will need to operate will be a hex wrench.

#7612 01/07/03 10:55 PM
JaimeG Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In my case, I was expecting some ear fatigue but did not get any so far. Even in New Years Eve that I start listening to music at high volumes from the afternoon 'till almost sunrise, I did not get any significant fatigue. I do used to get some from my old speakers.

I ‘m not looking forward to dramatically change the tone of the M60ti with the resistors, but a very subtle reduction in high’s freq. After all, I’m starting to ‘mold’ ears to the speakers. I was listening to some Tower of Power cds and the brass was quite amazing! Also on the Blues Brothers DVD movie the sound & recording was surprisingly very good on the M60ti… especially the brass.

BTW: thanks to 2x6spds for the links, for some time I was trying to find good sites on acoustics.

Jaime

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#7613 01/07/03 11:53 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Paul, I think that your most recent reply is on target. I've tried to point out in the past to some who have termed the Axioms too "bright" or even "harsh" on some recordings that what they were hearing was an accurate speaker reproducing a poorly recorded performance(possibly intentionally mixed that way so as to sound more impressive on mediocre equipment). As you imply, the more accurate and revealing a speaker is, the worse a poor recording will sound. Receivers which have extensive equalization provisions, or a separate graphic equalizer can to a degree help with such recordings.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#7614 01/08/03 02:47 PM
JaimeG Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Absolutely agree… Last night I was listening to a CD of John Lee Hooker's compilations of different songs. The quality of the recordings of each songs vary from the sublime to boxy-75-phonograph type of sound. With the M60ti is very apparent the difference in quality of the recordings. I was not that aware of that with my old speakers.

Jaime

#7615 01/12/03 11:01 PM
regular
regular
JaimeG:
Maybe its my ears but I've had my M-60's for 2 months now. They have been sounding better each time I listen to them. Whether its jazz, rap, rock or Salsa. Bro, they sound great. I have them in a H/T set up as well with Q-8s as surrounds. Hope all is well in PR. My familia is from Mayaguez.

Re: Tweeter clips (resistors)
#7616 01/14/03 03:39 PM
JaimeG Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks Alan for your suggestion to get the resistors for my M60, I just installed them and FOR ME it made a big difference!, now I found my M60 sound really 'SWEET'. It was a very simple installation, you can’t do wrong. Tho, I was not sure what happens if the resistor's clip or wire make contact with the tweeter magnet so I cover the whole resistor, wire & clips with electrical black tape just in case.

#7617 01/14/03 05:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Jamieg,

I'm delighted the resistors worked out for you. It's not dramatic but our ears are extremely sensitive in the midrange and treble, so even a reduction in output of a few dB will make a noticeable difference in the tonal balance.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#7618 01/15/03 02:00 AM
old hand
old hand
I am considering installing the resistors on my M60 tweeter's as well.

In an earlier post, Alan made reference to two different sized resistors that could be installed (a 1.4ohm I believe, and an unspecified larger size). Do you know which size you installed?

"Sounds" like your very pleased with the results. Have you noticed any negative impact on audio quality since installing the resistors (i.e., loss of imaging, air, space, anything else)?

Joe

#7619 01/15/03 02:07 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm curious to see how those resistors effect the frequency response...any graphs available?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters