Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tweeter clips (resistors)
#7620 01/15/03 02:20 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi Alan,

I am considering installing the resistors in my M60's.

A couple of quick questions as a follow-up to JaimeG's post.

In an earlier post, you stated there were two sizes of resistors that could be installed, a 1.4ohm value, and a larger one, which you didn't provide the ohm value for. Could you give the ohm value for the latter one please?

You mentioned you've installed resistors in your M80's. What size/value did you use? Other than attenuating the treble, is there any negative impact on overall sound quality (i.e., imaging, air, space, etc.)?

Joe

#7621 01/15/03 03:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Joe90,

I installed the resistors labelled "7W1R8", which are 1.8 ohms, on both pairs of tweeters in my M80ti's. These provide a slight attenuation of tweeter output. The resistors that impose greater attenuation are labelled "7W4R1", which are 4.1 ohms. I haven't tried those because the 1.8-ohm resistors were enough.

When I instantaneously A/B'd the M80s with the M22ti's (no resistors installed) on the same program material, there seemed to be no reduction of "air", "space", or imaging.

What I did notice was that on jazz selections with well-recorded percussion, the brushed cymbals on the M22ti's had a little more "ring" to them than on the M80s. The cymbals on the latter were slightly muted. Overall, I was pleased with the tonal balance on the M80s after installing the resistors but I use them in a smallish room, so they may not need them in a bigger room.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#7622 01/15/03 03:39 PM
JaimeG Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hi Joe90:
Actually, I don't know whether they send me the 1db or +2db resistors. I do notice a relatively big difference. When I get home today, I'll write the resistor 's number and post it here so that maybe Alan or Joe tell me which one is it.

What I did not get used to from my 'originals' M60 sound was the lower end freqs of the tweeter. In my opinion, they overwhelm the higher freqs, or for that matter, the whole spectrum of sound from the speaker. Could be just that my ears are kind of damage on a particular Freq... (in college I play keyboards on a loud pub's R&R band, ...darn guitarist :-O )

In terms of the impact with the resistors, like I said, there was a difference , for me.
I'm not used to audiophile terminology (also, this is my 2nd lang.) but I think I get the picture... :

"Imaging" - I think improved , instruments seems abit clear and discernable.

"Air" - Not clear on what it refers to , but I think has something to do with the tone & color of singers voices maybe... I think this decrease abit I particularly notice this on the Diane Krall DVD her voice seems a little less forward but on the other hand, her voice was not overwhelm by the drummer's cymbals in particulars passages...

"Space" - hum? ...see Imaging :-)

"Anything else?" - Yes, I feel the music gain a little more punch and maybe a little less ear fatigue. About ear fatigue, I do get that from my old speakers and Car's stereo, but did NOT from my M60 'stock'. Also, the very high Freqs. ei. (hi-hats & shakers... ) seems to be crystal clear now. Kind of weird when you know that actually the tweeter dbs were lowered. Overall, the sound seems more warmer now. but still brass are very punchy & clear and definitively NOT muddy.

Well, I guess this will give you a rough idea of the resistor impact-results on the M60. I do had to mention that the room where the M60 lives (like Alan said) play a very important part of his sound ... Also, this is all relative, like wine , every one has his own taste for it.

Jaime

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#7623 01/15/03 05:49 PM
old hand
old hand
Thanks for your detailed response JaimeG. Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Joe

#7624 01/15/03 06:05 PM
old hand
old hand
Thanks for the info Alan. My system is set-up in a smallish room also, so I'm looking forward to trying out the resistors on my M60's.

In my last post, I forgot to ask your opinion re JaimeG's wrapping the resistor and leads with electrical tape, as he was concerned about them being so close to and/or touching the tweeter magnet. Is this anything to be concerned about...is the taping necessary?

Cheers,
Joe

#7625 01/17/03 03:00 AM
JaimeG Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hi Alan:
I just check my resistors … the # is 7W2R7 .
I guess they fall somewhere in between but more close to the 1.8 than the 4.1 Do you know the actual ohms?
…I just know they are perfect!!
Thanks

Jaime

#7626 01/17/03 03:38 AM
regular
regular
If I read the number correctly 7W2R7 means 7Watts 2.7 Ohms.

#7627 01/17/03 04:28 AM
veteran
veteran
How about some Zen or Crescendo caps and 8 gauge inductors to go with that? Is there a crossover upgrade available like that?

#7628 01/17/03 03:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

Yes, there is a middle value of resistor that I don't have--the 2.7 ohm resistor. By the way, JamieG, have you tried covering that tile floor with an area rug?

When I read you had tile floors, I thought "Uh, oh, trouble. . ." They are very reflective and rugs can nicely absorb too much high-frequency reflection.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#7629 01/18/03 06:39 PM
JaimeG Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
The room has tile floors and 4 concrete walls (hurricanes); a TV, futon and a pair of M60s. It's a echo heaven ;-P
My wife & I are planning in decorating the room, I have in mind using decor acoustic tiles, rugs and stuff. Just figuring out how am I going to 'sell' the idea to my wife...
Jaime

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,043 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup