Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Axiom m80ti vs Energy Connoisseur C-7
#80705 02/11/05 07:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>I'm still betting on shennanigans on the part of the salesman, though.

That was my first thought as well but it sounds like usp was watching him pretty closely and was involved in the setup.

Barring some kind of hookup problem like "out of phase" (which would really hurt the sound, and in exactly the way usp described) the other possibility seems to be some kind of speaker defect. Depending on where usp lives (I'm guessing Ontario) the next step might be to get him in front of some "known good" Axioms.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#80706 02/15/05 02:00 AM
S
old hand
old hand
S
i was reading this thread and found it rather funny. funny part being energy c-7 sounds better then m80ti. first off i don't have 80s. i have the m60s which are excellent sounding by the way. but i've heard they are very close to the m80s sound. so heres my two bits. before buying any system i read countless reveiws and listened to all speakers i could before buying. heres just a few. energy c-9,B@W 703,monitor gr60s,klipsch rf5 and last but not least kef 207 reference series. i found most to be very nice sounding speakers each with there own sound.monitor was the best the gr60s were very nice to say the least the price wasn't. i found the B@W nice to listen to too but i found them to be flat sounding. mabey at higher levels they would be better. also very expensive.kef 207 were very good also. as for kliplsh very bright sound but i happen to like that in tower speakers. last but not least energy the c-7 for me wasn't an option sounded almost like the thread starter descibed the axiom.also to say the axiom were muddy sounding and the energy clean and bright. very funny to say the least. i looked more closley at the c-9s which were okay. the vertias v2.41 were very nice but very expensive. but i was rather unimpressed with energy. i mean sure the v2.41 were very nice but too dam expensive i don't wanna pay over 4000grand for fronts when i got four more speakers to buy and a nice sub. so i rated them monitor first kef then klipsch b@w then energy. unless you wanna pay for a lot for there higher end stuff energy in my test was mediocre. so anyways after much debating about the thousands i was going to spend and what to get for it. finally i got lucky and a freind had just bought a axiom system. i had heard of axiom but never got a chance to hear them. so i finally did and it was what i needed to hear clean bright sound i loved them from that moment on. then when i asked him how much it was i almost fainted. great sound for a decent amount. i was sold on axiom bought my stuff the following week. although both of us have m6os not 80s, i still would put them up against 4 of the 5 speakers i auditioned. excluding monitors gr60s but the prcie difference is to much and the sound isn't. as for the c-7 energy i did not audition it long because to be frank its sound was lack luster at best. the c-9 was okay but i would still take the kliplsh rf5 sound over it. to each his own for the speakers they like. but the energy c-7 sound is no match for the m60s i own. never mind the 80s. thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

#80707 02/15/05 02:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yep... we're all a bit baffled by this one. The more I think about it the more I'm starting to suspect that the M80s were wired out of phase the first time.

Guess we'll never know.

Hope usb does a bit more shopping before pulling the trigger. IMO there are better speakers out there for the price than the C-7s even if you leave Axiom out of the picture (although I bet he would love M50s).

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#80708 02/15/05 03:49 AM
S
old hand
old hand
S
yes it nevers hurts to shop around. but price and quality axiom puts out is very hard to beat. but if you got the money the skys the limit i guess. but i think his ears were a little off that day to say energy c-7 was a better sound then axiom. for the simple reason the c-9 was better then the c-7 and still didn't have the sound the axiom m60s had. the whole thing just comes off like hes bashing the product without even having it. because his reveiw of the two speakers is way off. i mean energy sounded fair but not even close to the m60s.thats comparing the c-9 sound against the m60s.the c-7 well thats a whole different story. not to bash the speakers because everybody likes different sound but i really didn't like them compared to the axioms.

#80709 02/15/05 05:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Guys, if you read back aways the original poster stated that he solved the problem he was having by moving the M80s away from the walls, which apparently were accentuating the bass. This is the positioning problem that occasionally, BUT NOT ALWAYS, OR EVEN FREQUENTLY, plagues the M80s. (OK, Rick? [SMILE])

Because he couldn't leave them in that position, he opted to return them. No problem.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#80710 02/15/05 02:52 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Jack is right on this.The original poster did say the 80s sound stage exploded once he got them away from the walls.His problem is he dosen't have the room in is place to keep them away from the walls.I believe the Energies are a front ported speaker so it is not as placement dependent.He also said he would be willing to give the M60s a shot if Axiom would pay for the return shipping on the M80s.So it does sound as if he is willing to give Axioms another shot.This just may be a case where the M80s are to much speaker for the size room he has tried to put them in.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#80711 02/17/05 10:18 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Ajax and wid, thank you for saying what I was going to. I am not trying to bash the Axioms. I really do feel like once I had them placed properly they were superb speakers. The only complaint I had posted was that the voice sounded "off." The problem was actually me on that one to some extent. After listening to more speakers with those cds, I realized some of the offness was actually the way the cd was recorded. I still, for my personal tastes, think the Energies did a better job with the voice, but other than that one aspect, the m80s took the cake once placed 4 feet off the wall. The voice is probably just a personal preference, nothing more. I have been in contact with Alan from Axiom, and he feels that my situation is a room anomoly. That is something that I can only test once I get some more speakers in my house. I have no doubt that Alan was accurate, and speakers that are "less fussy" about placement may be the way that I have to go due to restrictions in my room. By the way, Alan is a phenomonal person who was willing to help me out in any way possible. He suggested bookshelf speakers for my situation, and getting a sub, but since I am not currently in the sub market (don't plan on getting one for a couple of months), I will ship everything back since there is only a 30 day in home trial. At that point I will have brought some more floorstanders into my home, and will be able to figure out if it is a room anomoly and all speakers are bad (forcing me to go the bookshelf route), or if I can get some speakers that are less fussy about my room and can work in my setup. To anyone reading this thinking about Axioms all I can say is this. This company is NOT a gimmick, they truly do make great speakers. Give their 30 day in home trial a chance and see if you like them. If you get the results I did at 4 feet off the wall, and you have them placed as you desire, you will NOT be sending these back, they really are that good. For me, my room is just a PITA. Also, Axioms customer service is excellent, and I really do have high standards being in a service provider business myself, and know what makes good business. Thank you to all of you that have helped me, and I hope this has helped anyone else who is considering Axioms. Alan, thank you as well, you truly went above and beyond my expectations, and I would highly recommend your product. I will keep all informed as to the final resolution to this story... even if it is 6 months from now (I surely hope not, as I will probably be divorced if it takes that long)

#80712 02/17/05 11:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for reporting back, and keeping us in the loop. Do let us know how it works out.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#80713 02/19/05 03:11 AM
veteran
veteran
Is there really a difference in sound between the M80s and M60s?

#80714 02/19/05 03:29 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
For the sake of the people who spent $300 more, I certainly hope so!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (SirQuack), 1,005 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup