Print Thread
Rate Thread
Center Channel Placement
#80850 02/07/05 04:41 PM
Seabear Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
OK, I will admit to not having gone through the trouble of searching through the archives on this one...
But does anyone have any good center channel tips?
I have the 150, and now that the sub and mains are pretty much set, am now experimenting with the center...
I was completly shocked at what a difference moving it 2 inches towards center (in relation to the M60s) made (I cannot get it perfectly centered between the M60s and still have it on top of my TV)and tilting the back up less than 1/4 of an inch has made. Richer, fuller, and better integrated with the mains. Even the Sweetie noticed it.
Any other hints that I can do that would make as much of a difference?
It is in an open shelf system, no sides or back, with a shelf about 2.5 inches above it, sitting on top of my 30 something inch 16X9 Toshiba CRT TV.
Thanks in advance.
TjB

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
Re: Center Channel Placement
#80851 02/07/05 05:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Someone will be along shortly to help you.
Don't worry about not checking "the archives"....if there weren't any "new" posts/replies...there would BE NO archives.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#80852 02/07/05 07:04 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Seabear,

I can pretty much guarantee you that nobody here has their center channel located in the best position. Usually, the TV is in the way.

What you've done so far is good. Just try to get the center channel as close the middle as possible, aim it downward so it's pointing directly at your head in the sweet spot, and keep it as close to the front edge of whatever it's resting on.

#80853 02/07/05 11:27 PM
old hand
old hand
The other option is to get a short stand and place it in front of the TV. With my 65" Mits placing it on top makes it way too high, so I have a short 20" (I think) stand in front of the TV with the speaker angled up slightly. Sounds much better on the stand than it did on top of the TV - probably because it is closer to the tweeter center line and has more air around it .

If you can do that you might want to try mocking up a stand (stack some junk up) and try that location.

Dave

M60s, VP150, QS8s(3), SVS PB12-isd, Denon 3805, Emotiva UPA-7
#80854 02/08/05 01:37 AM
devotee
devotee
Do you really find it too high, Dave? I have a 65" Mits with a VP150 on top that sounds awesome. It is also a extra 1" higher than the top of the TV because I made a "bridge" out of a 1x6" to keep the weight off of it. I also do not have the VP-150 angled down. It points straight ahead. I tried it angled down a few times, but it just made it sound wierd.

Peter - mine is exactly centered between the M60s, which are symmetrically placed in the room. I moved the Mits & audio gear into the empty room, set it all up, and then worked around it all with the furniture. So what if there's only a 1 foot gap between the sofa & loveseat to walk through when you come in my front door? WAF be damned!

Seabear,
If you have Avia and an SPL meter, try this test to locate your center properly. If you get stuck, PM me, and I'll hunt down the link to the real article for you.

1- Set meter to fast response, 70dB range. In Avia "main speaker setup" choose "left-right phase test" (you may want to set repeat to "on" until you get used to it). Adjust volume as needed to get a straight up 70dB reading.

2 - Sit in between speakers at your normal listening distance, and slowly move the meter left & right in front of you. As the "in phase" part of the test runs, you will get a reading on the meter. When the out of phase part runs, you will get close to the same reading. As you move the meter, you will find a spot where when the "out of phase" portion of the test runs, the meter will deflect backwards. The needle really pulls back quickly, too. This is because the out of phase signals from the main speakers cancel each other out at this "sweet spot". Mark this spot. I use a piece of Scotch tape on the couch. If you do not sit on the center line of the main speakers, this point may not be at your seat. I strongly suggest getting a seat at that spot, if you can - you'll love it.

3 - Repeat the same process with the "left-center" test. The backward needle deflection is not as strong with this test (-1.5dB vs. -3.5dB in my setup) than the other test, but you should be able to find the "center" point. The idea is to get the 2 center points to line up with each other. If the L/C test point is to the left of the L/R test point, then the center is too close to you, or needs more delay in the reciever. If the L/C test center point is to the right of the other center point, the center is too far away from you, or has too much delay.

DISCLAIMER: Guy Kuo, the author of Avia came up with this test, not me. I just plagerized it here.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#80855 02/08/05 03:40 AM
Seabear Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks Guys!
That will give me plenty to play with.
No room for a stand in front, it would be sitting right in front of the cabinet that forms that side of the shelves that all is on. No way the Sweetie goes for that!
Funny that tilting it down worked for one and not the other.
I tried different rubber feet in the back and the smallest actually produced the best results.
I'll pull the meter and Avia disc out this weekend and see about recreating that test.
Good work! Thanks,

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,949
Posts442,508
Members15,619
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044