Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 7.1 question
#85945 03/20/05 03:18 AM
shareholder in the making
Tom, note that DSP modes such as the jazz club, beer garden, sportin' house etc. used by Yamaha and others can be pleasant, but are entirely different from processing such as DPLII and Logic 7. Those modes insert artificial reverberation, etc. in proportions which the manufacturers believe to be pleasing. DPLII and Logic 7 add nothing, but rather extract the natural ambience present and steer it to the surrounds to give a little more realism by playing it from directions closer to those which existed when recorded.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#85946 03/20/05 03:36 AM
devotee
devotee
Even more interesting.
You would think that manufacturers would put this kind of stuff in the manuals.
I know that the DSPs in the Yamaha are somewhat artificial, but have always liked a couple of them for playing music that was originally recorded in a live setting.
But I had no idea that these other programs were so "Smart".
If that is the right concept, as you guys are expaining it.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#85947 03/20/05 07:25 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Tom, note that DSP modes such as the jazz club, beer garden, sportin' house etc. used by Yamaha

ROTFLMSWMFAO.

Bren R.

#85948 03/20/05 07:36 AM
Bren, those DSPs are available on the special order Yamaha 2500XXX.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#85949 03/20/05 08:01 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I'm seriously considering ripping out chips and firing up an EEPROM burner to permanently remove the cheesy DSPs (and as an owner, I can say Yamaha has some of the cheesiest!)

Game - all centre all the time - 1.1, baby!
Disco - I can't even bring myself to try this... maybe for Boney M's Nightflight to Venus.
Spectacle - Fatiguingly wide and the EQing sounds like it was set by Helen Keller.
6ch stereo - this has a use. If you have the THX standard identical speakers all around and you want them all running for a party or something - like an equal opportunity intrusion - it drowns out conversations all over the room equally.
Mono Movie - even a mono movie doesn't sound good in this setting. Original source comes from centre channel, all others play some variant of the same with a random delay on them.
Jazz club - a ridiculously echo-filled Jazz Club, adds about a 1 second delay/reverb to surrounds...
Concert Hall - See Jazz Club with a 1 minute delay to surrounds, reverb in mains set to "liquify".. apparently modelled after a parabolic shaped Concert Hall made completely out of marble.
Rock Concert - See Concert Hall, with... well, I'm still waiting for the first signal sent in this mode to actually come out of the surrounds. I'm guessing the delay is around 3 or 4 months.

Bren R.

#85950 03/20/05 05:08 PM
I can't believe I missed that one. This is what happens when you only skim the forums. Take heed!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#85951 03/21/05 06:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
SeaBear,

In response to your question - I think that the rear surrounds will only sound better for the reasons posted above, because they'll be free to breathe etc. Also, it should be considerably more convincing in your set-up than in mind, because the rears are almost literally on top of me when I sit on the couch. I "fixed" this by pointing the speakers up towards the ceiling, so that I get reflected sound which comes down at me, and avoids the problem of the sound shooting right over my ears (only to be reflected by the front wall and sound like it is coming from there) and it also avoids the "in your face" sound of SPL hitting you in the back of the noggin.

In my set-up, a lot of the subtlety gets lost because of the proximity of the rear surrounds. It still helps to fill out the back of the room, but it is far from ideal. Your potential set-up, though, is much closer to the ideal, so that "wrap around effects" actually wrap around you, rather than wrap over you.

Bren - classic description of the various DSPs. I can't listen to any of them at all either. I find them to be so, well, artificial... And they seem to do some graphical eq'ing too, making most of the music/source sound tinny or the room sound too harsh. I like the Dolby PLII and DTS Neo:6 stuff though, to get some sound "around" me. Although, during parties, I tend to like the 7 speaker stereo because I can turn all 7 speakers on quietly without having any one part of the room too loud.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,231 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup