Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Noise! Noise! Noise!! Arrgg
#87217 03/28/05 05:29 PM
devotee
devotee
Sorry to hear that you are having issues. I am not sure about the clicking issue but from what I have read it may be that you are overtaxing the unit. But again, I am not too sure. Let the unit play for a hour and put your hand on the top of the unit. Is it hot to the touch? If this is the case you may be pushing it too hard or you do not have proper ventalation. You may want to look at two Outlaw M200 amps to power your fronts (200 watts at $299 ea). Just a thought.

#87218 03/28/05 07:19 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Thanks for your post bigjohn. The levels that you describe are exactly what I would list. What are you running for speakers with your 701?

Makes me feel a little better. I could probably live with the clicking for now. (its not loud or anything, most probably wouldn't even notice).

Last edited by sssutherland; 03/28/05 07:20 PM.
#87219 03/28/05 07:30 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Thanks for your post lomb7. I checked out the outlaw series and they look sweet. Too bad my receiver has no preoouts except for the sub. (Wouldn't really want to do line level either).

#87220 03/28/05 07:39 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have M60 fronts, VP150 center, QS8 surrounds, and a Cerwin Vega LW-12 sub(150watts).

i have noticed the few times i get the volume in the upper 80's to 90.. that each more number you move up, it gets significantly louder. i dont know if that is the receiver, or just my ears pleading for mercy, but it gets way more intense with each number. and you will also notice that the overall volume will increase or decrease with the source material.. in other words, the quality of the recording you are playing is a large variable. you will turn up an old crappy recording much louder than you will a better engineered cd. and you can tell the difference pretty easy.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#87221 03/28/05 10:51 PM
local
OP Offline
local
That is the exact same with me as far as the one click means alot more between say 82-83 than between 62-63. And yes some albums you can get to the high 80's easily but with some static, others your ears are nearly bleeding in the upper 80's. (quality newer discs)

Thanks for all your input. This forum is really great!!

#87222 03/29/05 07:47 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Well, I cheated and it seems to have worked for me. After reading another post that listed somebody's levels for each speaker most of them being +4db, I thought hmmmm . .

I have now tricked my onkyo into playing louder for me at lower volume settings. I bumped all my settings in my speaker levels up 5db. Now as far as volume numbers go when I used to listen at 65 is now 60. May seem silly, I know. I fully realize that nothing has changed and that it is simply a matter of relativity. But, my mind does rest easier that I now have much more difficulty reaching the reference of 82. It just feels like now I have some breathing room in the top end and that I am not maxing my system out.

Still have the clicks and a fair amount of static noise with lesser quality cd's, but I am more comfortable for the moment.

By the way, if you have axiom's and especially if you have M60's, you have got to play Dave Matthews with Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College. The M60's were made to play this album. Even if you don't like Dave Matthews you will like the sound of this album, guaranteed!

Thanks again for all your replies.

#87223 04/04/05 04:02 AM
old hand
old hand
I have the 601 as well. When I turn the volume knob to max there is absolutely no noise at all, so you definitely should look into that. You may have a bad unit, but more likely it's due to dirty connections or electrical interference. Make sure there aren't any power cables or surge protectors near the speaker lines.

As for having to turn it up high to get satisfying listening levels, that's not unusual on decent equipment. You'll find with lower-level receivers and boom boxes, there's a big increase in sound between 0 and about 50%. From 50% to max, it's not a huge difference in volume. It's a marketing ploy to make you think you have more powerful equipment than you really do. ("Gee, if it's this loud at only half-volume, this sucker must really rock!!!"). With better equipment, what you want is sensitivity. Yeah, during the day, I have to turn my Onkyo up to about 75% volume to get it where I want it. But at night, when my wife goes to bed, I can have it at 25% and still hear every detail and nuance. It's just a little quiter is all. And no way would I ever actually turn it up to max and run a signal through it! Ear drums, speakers, house foundation, neighbor's house foundation--they would all take a pretty nice beating.

Basically, don't worry about the volume level. As long as it can get loud enough for you, that's all that matters. The Onkyo 601 is one of the most reputable receivers in its price range.

Fight on 'SC! Three-Pete Baby!
#87224 04/05/05 12:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Alright then!! Thanks for reminding me about what I think I already knew-a long time ago(but must have forgotten!)

I knew that stuff!! Yeah!!!

No complaints about my 602 either. Thanks again for the REmind!

Rich.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020