Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Proud new Axiom owner
#88027 03/31/05 01:11 AM
OP Offline
Thought I would make my first post here and report on my new system. This is my first high-end HT system. Before this, I had a old set of Cerwin Vega speakers hooked up to a high-end (using that term very generously) Sony receiver. That's all been left in the dust now :-) Here's my new system:

Axiom Grand Master 175 system (M22ti, QS8, VP100, EP175)
FMS-16 stands for the M22ti
Harman Kardon AVR-635
Denon CD player (forget the model, but one of the first ones made with a coax digital out)
crappy Toshiba DVD player (good enough for a few months til I can upgrade)
DirecTiVo
PlayStation 2

Ideally, I would have loved a set of floor standers like the M60 or M80 with the 12" sub, but that just wasn't practical in my current apartment situation. I'll upgrade someday...maybe :-)

I am just THRILLED with this new system! Totally blown away! I might as well throw out the boxes tonight, because there's no way I'm sending these babies back.

A few thoughts and observations:

- Brent at Axiom was simply the most helpful guy ever...he answered all my questions and concerns.
- My original decision was between the Axioms and the low-end Paradigms (Reference series, I think?) I got to audition some M60 speakers against the Paradigms, and I definitely preferred the Axioms. The Paradigms, to be fair, did sound quite nice, but I liked the Axiom sound better...and the price was definitely better. I ordered the M22ti unheard on Brent's recommendation considering my room size. Good call!
- The Harman 635 sounds fantastic and has all the features I want, but I gotta say...it has the most confusing interface I've ever seen for getting the bass management stuff calibrated. I did the EZsetEQ or whatever they call thier auto-calibrate thing, and I like the sound it's produced. I'm a little concerned, though...it sets my fronts and center to "large" and the surrounds to "small"...it also calls my 10" subwoofer an 8". All this seems to go against everything I've read about calibrating bass management, but when I try to do it manually, it always comes out sounding worse, and I go back to the automatic settings. I need to get all this figured out and make sure this all sounds as good as it can.
- Speaking of the Harman, I had narrowed down my receiver choice to either a Harman or a Denon...one was looking just as good as the other, but I ended up going with the Harman simply because I found a much better price on it than the comparable Denon model.

In the spirit of being totally fair, I've racked my brain trying to think of something to complain about, but this is all I can come up with:

- The boxes the Axioms shipped in were just a little on the flimsy side. They arrived safely, but I was concerned about how they would hold up if I had had to send them back. Thank goodness I don't need to worry abou that.
- The FMS-16 stands are great, but one very small complaint...I'm not so crazy about the way the collar sits on top of the metal post and has tightening screw around it. I know this is done so that it can be loosened and rotated, but I do wish it were just a little more stable. Shouldn't be a problem for me, though, as my speakers aren't near any walkway. My cat never knocks anything over, but he does have a horrible cable-chewing fetish. I have to go to great lengths to protect my cables from him. I'm used to that :-)

Anyway...didn't mean to type up so much. Mark me down as another happy customer! I'm going to dig through these message boards this weekend and see what all I can learn here.

Re: Proud new Axiom owner
#88028 03/31/05 02:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Congratulations on the new system !

The small/large settings do sound suspicious, I would try setting all to "small", with 100 Hz crossover for the center and 80 Hz for everything else. Many of us have had to decipher the HK bass management -- all I can say is that nearly all of the confusion relates to things that are either harder or impossible to do on other receivers, so it's not all bad.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#88029 03/31/05 03:02 AM
veteran
veteran
Congratulations on the new system. Seems like a nice setup to me. Btw, how's the bass on the ep175? It seems to get picked on a little, but I bet it sounds pretty nice.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC
#88030 03/31/05 03:16 AM
OP Offline
So far, I'm very happy with the EP175...it's going to fit my needs well. Mind you I haven't had time to really find the sweet spot for it in my room, and my bass management settings are still in flux, so I'm hoping I haven't heard it at its best yet. I'm in an apartment right now, so really big bass isn't an option for me...otherwise I would have gone with the 12" model in a heartbeat. Should I leave the crossover control knob on the sub turned all the way up to 150, Btw? I need to play with the phase switch, too, but figured I'd wait til I really found that sweet spot in the room first. I can't hear any difference at all right now.

#88031 03/31/05 03:22 AM
veteran
veteran
Cool, let us know your impressions as your get your system dialed in. I'll not attempt to offer any advice since I don't have an HT system -- just 2 channel stereo which I'm loving more and more each day!

Btw, where are the pics?!?

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC
#88032 03/31/05 03:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

- Brent at Axiom was simply the most helpful guy ever...he answered all my questions and concerns.

Man I'll second you on this one! Brent went way out of his way to give me a hand! Brent, if you read this, thank you!

Steve, glad you like the Axioms...great speakers and some really awesome folks.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#88033 03/31/05 04:15 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Steve, welcome, and great to hear how you're enjoying your new speakers. Yes, since your 635 will be handling the crossover duties, turn the crossover control on the EP175 all the way up to get it as far out of the way as possible from interfering with the 635 crossover.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#88034 03/31/05 04:32 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Congratulations Steve, on your new system. I just got a new set of speakers from Axiom and am very happy with them too. I agree with you about the boxes. One of the boxes that my M60's came in had a huge hole in it ! The speakers inside were OK though.

Enjoy your new system! Weekends don't come soon enough...

ramzing

#88035 03/31/05 08:09 AM
devotee
devotee
Congrats twoarmsteve and ramzing! Pics are next.

#88036 03/31/05 01:57 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Congratulations to both of you! Enjoy getting to know your new Axioms!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters