Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: How to convert the unconverted? BOSE owners
#91359 04/18/05 09:41 PM
Apd Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
My co worker at work got a Bose last week. He saw me browsing for speakers (I drooling over some B&W 800's) and went on this rant about how good the Bose are. He also mentioned that I should get some monster cable while I was at it.

He did not stop even after he saw me snap 3 or 4 pencils. So after a few deep breaths I said that there are better speakers to be had for the same amount of money. Man was he pissed. How could I say that about a company that does all that "Research" well he said "R&D". Also Bose was started by an India and how could I not show loyalty to a fellow Indian blah blah.

Actually in India (during my business course) we talked about how Bose is a success story as a business strategy nothing to do with quality of the speakers themselfs.

But more to the point, when I mentioned all the HiFi web sites like (Audioholics, Enjoy the music, Stereophile, 6 moons) he drew a blank. He pointed me to Circuit City where HTIB's were on sale and said if I did not like what he bought, I should buy the latest Bose lifestyle 48. He also claims that an MP3 sounds better than a CD (wav) as it is DIGITAL.

Some people will never learn. If we are to coexist in peace, just ask them if they are happy with what they have and I am happy for them.

PS: He also said I should buy a Dell instead of assemblying PC's even when I showed him a picture of my watercooled PC. Man, who brought this topic up? now I need a walk to cool off :-)

Also a linky : http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Last edited by Apd; 04/18/05 09:45 PM.
#91360 04/18/05 11:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Another vote for not raining on their parade. You need to step in when they are thinking about what brand to purchase, not afterwards.

If they get a chance to hear your system and suddenly think theirs is crappy, make sure you explain how hard it is to get the best sound out of small speakers but that Bose does a pretty good job -- and that a lot of people still buy systems with small satellite speakers because of the size & appearance factors. Let them enjoy their purchase.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#91361 04/18/05 11:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
just tell them that their tiny tv speakers is to bose what the bose speakers are to your axioms,that ougt to make them feel like they wasted their money,just kidding,but really,most people that had no system before are blown away just by having sound coming at them from all directions,let em be happy

#91362 04/18/05 11:18 PM
buff
buff
When I bought my 60ti's I put my Paradigm monitor 7's up for sale on an online BB at my wife's office. The guy that bought them from me had laid down 1k on a pair of either 601's or 701's 6 month's previous. I remember when I demoed them for him using his material and all he could do was grin and shake his head, he wasn't long loading them in to his car.
He told me his neighbour was interested in his Bose but he would be selling them at a considerable loss.

Al

#91363 04/18/05 11:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Their aviation headphones are used by many pilots, and thier noise cancelling headphones get praise.

It's a marketing ploy again Curtis. I don't know of very many professional pilots that use 'em, too much money and they don't sound any different than a set of DCs sold at a much lower price. The private pilot sector probably buys 'em up because 'it's aviation' and they don't work in the aviation field so therefore they *have* the money to spend on stuff like that.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#91364 04/19/05 02:48 AM
devotee
devotee
This is a terrific discussion, with lots of great and funny posts, but have any of you ever run into this one?
I swear this is true.
A buddy of mine, very well educated, incredible mechanic, craftsman, computer guy, the whole shebang. He is #1 on my list for first pick after a nuclear holocost.
And he spends decent money on audio gear. $300 Yamaha reciever, $400 Polks, buck & a half CD player. Not Crap.
And for the last 2 years he has had his speakers sitting in the entranceway between the living room and dining room. One on one side of the opening facing into the livingroom, and the other on the other side of the opening facing into the dining room. three feet apart. facing in polar opposite directions. I swear to God.
He could proabably take every piece of equiptment he owns apart and put it back together better.
And whenever i am over there, I ask, Man? What The F&^K???
What are you doing with this stuff like this?
Last weekend I told him, "Hey, you know if you just Bi-Wired those speakers backwards, I guess you might get something like MONO out of each, and you wouldn't be missing so much when you are in the other room."
He just looked at me (knowing that I was busting his chops again) and grinned, and said, "Oh Man, it just doesen't matter that much!"
I just shake my head.
Anyone else know someone who WILL spend the money on NOT CRAP kind of stuff, but then just abuses the hell out of it?

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#91365 04/19/05 03:49 AM
local
local
How do you convert the bose owners? Give them links to this post!

My brother has built himself a H/T room in his house. He ran expensive wires behind the wall and wants to connect BOSE to them. I have been diligently sending him emails of articles, forum posts, etc on how the audio world is on to BOSE and that what he has heard in the past is not accurate sound. He has made many excuses as to why he thinks BOSE are the greatest.
But I think I am wearing him down. . .Or he has bought the BOSE system already and knows better than to tell me he has done so.

#91366 04/20/05 06:14 PM
veteran
veteran
Wow, I have to chime in here. I have a close friend who is adamant about Bose. He currently has the 5 cube system that he's had for a few years and thinks they are great. The funny thing is they do not even sound good for Bose since he has them hooked up to an old receiver that can't even do crossover settings. The system sounds like it's missing a big range of sounds yet he thinks it sounds good. I've always been direct about my thoughts on the Bose and at least offered to bring my receiver over and hook them up to see what they can really sound like on a good receiver. At least it would be better than what it sounds like now.

He recently went to a Bose store and looked at the new Lifestyle 48 Home Theater System. He just couldn't stop at telling me the cool features of it and how it sounded. He really was repeating all the things the sales guy was telling him (all those marketing and advertising dollars in action). This system cost $4,000.

Now on the plus side for him is that he has never bashed my system. He loves my home theater system and thinks it sounds incredible. The one big reason he won't buy anything like mine is because of the size. The M80's are big. I feel that would be the only big reason to get a Bose system. And in my honest opinion that isn't a good enough reason unless you need the WAF which I don't have.

As much as he likes my system and as much as I bash Bose, he is always going to be a die hard Bose fan. And there is nothing you can do about it.

Last edited by shag; 04/20/05 06:24 PM.

Shag
#91367 04/20/05 06:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
sorry to hear of his tragedy...ill pray for a complete recovery

#91368 04/20/05 06:21 PM
old hand
old hand
Wow shaq, that's a nice looking setup you got!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters