Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: QS4 or QS8 and why please
#91991 04/25/05 07:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Actually Legairre, in absence of the surround speaker with full range capability, the main LFE channel picks up the extra material encoded to the surrounds if they are set to 'small' in the receiver.
In effect, you ARE already hearing the surround LFE with only the .1 setup. I very much believe alot of ppl see their sub at the front of the room and think "hmm, shouldn't there be LFE sound in the rear too?" and then this idea gets started. But of course, the way the small speaker settings direct LFE, it should be a moot concept.
As before, location should not matter for LFE unless there is a room interaction or the LFE sound is mixed across more than just the single channel (highly likely for any explosion type sound) thus adding 2 subs to sound volume instead of just one.

In regards to the DPLII observation, i've found that the surrounds play rather oddly depending on the recording. When i was testing out sub vs sub, i unplugged all other speakers to do an A/B switching b/w sub units, however i wanted to use the same music passage for each unit. The problem was with only the LFE playing, i didn't know what part of the music i was hearing, so to compensate i plugged in a single surround channel so i could follow some of the vocals to the point i wanted to compare. I turned down the gain in the receiver on the surround channel quite low (like -10dB) so it would not overly interfere with my subwoofer listening. It was during this test that i realized the surround sound was literaly cutting in and out during the song. It was an odd effect to hear and not one that i expected.
Since then i've had some doubts about how effective the DPLII is for music. I've personally never found it to be particularly convincing and certainly no where near the quality of a DVDA mix as surround sounds go.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#91992 04/25/05 07:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Geez Ken, you beat me to the point and yours was about a half page smaller.
Perhaps my posts need to be shorter, more concise.

Nahhhhh

#91993 04/25/05 07:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Alright Ken!!;

In one line you seem to have summed up the entire question-well, at least the one I had, anyway.

My problem was "that" part of the signal below 80hz that was sent to the sub along with the .1, but which was still audible and directional! (That and the fact that some rear channel speakers I've used have a tendency to "hisss" rather than "roar") Heck! for the price of two trips to Mc Donalds with the kids I can buy a couple of subs(NO, not Subways)but add the subs to my M3s(or QS8s)and have full range speakers out back and have the best of both worlds!!
They don't have to be real high quality subs, cause for surround, who cares-the important attack will still be produced by the M3s or QS8s.

Sounds like a real hoot to me!
Or am I missing something here, guys?
Rich.

#91994 04/25/05 08:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I can buy a couple of subs but add the subs to my M3s(or QS8s)and have full range speakers out back and have the best of both worlds!!

Sounds like a real hoot to me!
Or am I missing something here, guys?

The voice of reason?
A sober second thought?

Bren R.

#91995 04/25/05 09:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hmmmmmm...........

I see what you mean...
Rich.

#91996 04/25/05 09:26 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Correct, and on some receivers and pre-amps I've owned not only is everything below the crossover sent to the sub, but some of that information/sound is also played by the front speakers too if they are set to large. I'd rather have the information played where it was mixed instead of redirecting it to my mains and LFE subs.

#91997 04/25/05 09:29 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Chess, I've noticed the same effect of DPLIIx where if you go stand next to the surrounds on some music they do sound funny, but if you move away everything seems fine.

#91998 04/25/05 09:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Overall i cannot tell there is a cutting in and out of sound during music playback. It is quite soft but for anyone that hasn't done something like this, try unplugging all the speakers except one surround and try DPLII.

#91999 04/26/05 04:24 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Legairre, your setup is certainly an interesting one, although I haven't experienced any problem with using a single sub to handle LFE and redirected lowest bass from all channels, including the surrounds. One point in your description is a bit unclear; you indicate that that there's a crossover to the surrounds, but if the internal sub(for the surround channel)crossover(actually just a low-pass filter)is the only mechanism being used then there is no crossover for the surrounds and they're being required to also carry the lowest bass.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#92000 04/26/05 04:36 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi John. I'm using the subs high level inputs and outputs on the subs. I run the speaker wire from the amp directly to a subs high level input and then another wire from the subs high level output to the surround. By doing this I'm using the subs high pass filter. My subs have two crossover knobs on the back. One for a high pass filter for when you set them up the way I do and one for low pass so you run a sincle sub cable and let the pre-amp send a LFE signal. If using a single sub cable then the low pass would be used. In my setup the high pass filter is used.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,014 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup