Re: Question about cables!
#9605 03/28/03 05:48 AM
sushi Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Saturn,
In reply to:

Thats weird my Rotel RSX1065 does the video switching.

Video switching and S-video/composite-to-component upconversion are two totally different things. Are you sure that the Rotel and NAD can do the upconversion? I visited their web site, but the online catalogs do not say anything about it (since it is an expensive feature involving quite a few additional video chips, if it does they most likely say it does).

As Semi says, only a few higher-end receivers from Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer will do the upconversion as far as I know. Among the receivers within my budget (less than $1000 street), only the Denon 3803 does it. I understand that many people buy the Denon solely for this feature. However, to complicate the situation further, the AVSforum et al is full of user reports that the 3803's video upconversion is sometimes problematic (loss of sync, etc).

Anyway, since I have a multi-device, macro-capable remote, the convinience gained by the video upconversion within the receiver can easily be simulated by the remote.

With regard to video scaling/deinterlacing, the projector I bought (Yamaha LPX-500) has an excellent onboard scaler based on the Faroudja chips. It is said to be actually better than most separate scalers. So, I decided to feed everything to the projector as is, and let the Faroudja do the job (btw, I have no desire to go into the HTPC right now).

#9606 03/28/03 06:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In my earlier post all I mentioned with the receiver portion is just video switching. I have plugged in my vcr(rca), dvd(svideo) and also tried htpc(svideo) to my receiver. Receiver monitor out via svideo. That above is just video switching from rca cables to svideo cables.
I was talking input switching between different resolution.

Upconversion or scaling I did mention was only on my Viewsonic TV Tuner/video processor. From my Receiver I would have a Svideo cable out to that video processor which would then Upconvert my video signal to 1024x768 and view it on my Sony CPG400.

So when Semi and you mentioned upconversion on my Receiver, it definitely cannot do that. In my earlier email I just mentioned video switching within my receiver. And then further on the email upconvertion/scaling with my video processor.

As with Faroudja the stand alone Faroudja Native Rate Series or the DVP5000 video processor is one of the best ones out there. And boy it aint cheap. With respect to Faroudja integrated chips on devices that use DCDi is only as good as the manufacturer that encorporates them into there systems. In your case the the Yammy projector must use it well. In other cases such as the LG Plasma that also use Faroudja DCDi chips the quality is inferior to maybe the Panny or NEC scaling in there own plasmas. ALIS scaling in plasma is supposedly more supperior than the ones that used Faroudja DCDi chips. On the other hand another company that carries a $15,000 DLP projector that use Faroujda chips have supposedly phenominal resolution.

#9607 03/28/03 06:40 AM
sushi Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
In reply to:

With respect to Faroudja integrated chips on devices that use DCDi is only as good as the manufacturer that encorporates them into there systems.

True. According to my research, among the front projector brands, Marantz, NEC and Yamaha did some of the best implementation of the Faroudja chips. In fact, it was one of my major reasons for deciding on the Yamaha. The Faroudja's excellent performance really shows itself when I play back my old LaserDisks. Despite the huge difference in image size, to my eyes the projector actually produces a better image than my 32" Sony tube TV.

Now browsing through the Blue Jeans site...

#9608 03/28/03 08:35 AM
sushi Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Okay, I just ordered 75' cables from svideo.com.
The component cable for $90; S-video cable for $47.

Unfortunately, Blue Jeans and most other vendors did not carry long enough pre-made cables.

Thanks!

#9609 03/28/03 02:02 PM
local
local
It's too late now, but I'm pretty sure they'll custom-make any length you want.

#9610 03/28/03 02:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi sushi,

I guess I'll have to get out my old laserdisc player--I've been using it as a doorstop! And I'll need a high-def projector, of course.

Seriously, I've never seen any tests or comparisons of degradation with very long S-video or component-video cable runs. I recall doing some tests of composite video and there was a slight fall-off of image quality with a 30-ft. cable.

I've been told that there is visible degradation of S-video with runs longer than 20 feet, and I've never seen any data on long component-video runs.

Report your findings. . .

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#9611 03/28/03 05:41 PM
sushi Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
In reply to:

It's too late now, but I'm pretty sure they'll custom-make any length you want.

Uh-oh... LOL But it is okay, because 75' is about perfect for my current plan, plus the price was right!

Or, do you think I should have gone for a thicker, more expensive coax? What I bought is Mogami's 27 AWG. The specs are here. One problem of thicker video cables for me is their stiffness/inflexibility and esthetics. I need to on-wall install the wire run, using the Cordmate II rails.

Thanks!

#9612 03/28/03 05:44 PM
sushi Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
In reply to:

I've been told that there is visible degradation of S-video with runs longer than 20 feet, and I've never seen any data on long component-video runs.

Alan, you scare me!!!

I will surely report the results with the 75' Mogami, although I will probably be unable to do instantaneous A/B comparisons at this time.

Finally pulled the trigger!!!
#9613 03/28/03 06:10 PM
sushi Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Folks,

I decided to stop fidgeting and wondering, and just ordered the following today:

Axiom VP150 (cherry; factory outlet)
Axiom QS8 (cheery; factory outlet)
Hsu VTF3 subwoofer - sorry Axiom!
Pioneer VSX-45TX receiver

These will complement my Hales System Two floor-standing speakers and the Adcom power amp that will continue to drive the Hales. I will see how well this mixed-brand 5.1 will behave!

I thought I would wait till the installation of the "visual" part of my system is settled, but it turns out that the custom-masking of the Da-Lite screen seems to take fairly long time. So... here I am!

I thank you guys very much for the numerous suggestions and advice so far!

Cheers!

Re: Finally pulled the trigger!!!
#9614 03/28/03 09:31 PM
regular
regular
Good luck sushi with the new system you'll love them.
I've got the M60,VP150,QS8 and SVS 2531PC+.
You won't be dissapointed with their sound.
I also have the VSX45TX you will love the MCACC feature to start with but eventually you will cal in expert menu and a SPL.

Have Fun Mizer

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020