Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Setting Up the System for the Average Joe
#98961 06/17/05 03:00 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
You need Ray. Ray, please come in. RU there? PapaJim, the set up can be thought of as a step by step process. Grab the owners manual and go through the setup process one step at a time and all will be well.

Last edited by littleb; 06/17/05 03:04 AM.
#98962 06/17/05 03:26 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I agree with Tom on this one. It sounds like you don't have your surrounds turned on in the receiver SETUP menu. On my Denon 2805, there is a Setup menu where I can turn on my surrounds or rears channels.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#98963 06/17/05 05:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Just chiming in for my 2 cents.

When you think you have everything setup you can just grab any Star Wars dvd (everyone has at least one, right?) and go to the THX menu setup and run through the speaker tests. It will pitch sound to each speaker and show you at the same time on the screen which speaker should be getting sound.

At least this way you'll know you have all the speakers setup correctly, as long as you are using a digital coax or optical wire from your dvd player to your receiver.

And I guarantee you when you get everything setup yourself, you will not let anyone else touch it.

Shag
#98964 06/21/05 01:23 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Hiya Jim,

Congrats on the Denon - you really will enjoy it when you get it all hooked up. Let’s see if we can get you started.

SPEAKERS FIRST.
Look at the back panel in Tom’s post. On the bottom, just right of center are a series of red & black connectors. Since you don’t have a “zone 2”, you want to be connected as follows:

FRONTS - R & L for “A”

CENTER - Only one choice

REAR SURROUNDS - Top & bottom Surround R&L (NOT “Surround Back”)

Here’s the fun part - you need to go into the Setup Menu. See page 8 of your manual and look at the remote. On the left side, about 60% down is a key titled “Setup”. If you press this key, the setup menu will appear, item by item, on your receiver screen (you don’t have the “On Screen Display” feature for use with the TV).

Now, go to page 18 in the manual. This table shows what shows up and in what order. See the picture of the remote to learn how to use the buttons to navigate. Unless you have a subwoofer, set all of your speakers to Large.

Here is your frustrating problem - Page 19 of the manual shows how to set your speakers. On page 20, item 4 (4. S, Back) set your surround speakers to “SMALL”. I suspect they are currently SET TO “OFF”.

COAX OR OPTICAL
If you are going to use a COAX or Optical for connecting one of your devices (TV, DVD, etc.), you will need to “assign” it in the Setup menu. We’re back on page 18 of the manual in the table. See the box titled “Digital In Assignment”. The defaults are shown. For simplicity, I’d suggest you just plug the Optical from the DVD into “Optical 1. It should work without any further tweaking. If it doesn’t scroll through the Setup Menu and when you get to the Digital In Assignment, click on the device to the right until “DVD/VDP” shows up - that’s how you “assign” it. See page 26 of the manual - you can assign the Coax or Optical to any of your devices here.

NOTE - if you are not using COAX or Optical, you will need to run red & white audio cables form the device to the red & white connectors on the left side of the Denon (second set of connectors in titled “Audio”). This is where you will connect your CD Player (unless you are using Coax or Optical)

VIDEO INTO the DENON
I’ll assume you are connecting your DVD and SAT (Dish) using component cables. Look at Tom’s picture again. Just above the black & red speaker connections is a box called “Component Video” with sets of green/blue/red connectors. Use these as your video IN to get all of it into the Denon.

DVD - come from your DVD player with the green/blue and red component cables and plug them in here.

DISH receiver - from the Dish receiver into the set named TV/DBS (DBS is shorthand for satellite).

VCR - same thing.

NOTE - if for some reason you are using Svideo instead of component, for some or all of your devices, run the Svidoe (instead of component) to the Svideo connecter on the Denon. These are in a vertical column below and a few inches to the left of the Component connectors.

VIDEO OUT of the Denon and Into the TV
Back to the “Component Video” on the back of the Denon. Connect a set of component cables running from the Denon (from the connections in the checker board design) to the TV. Again, if you are using Svideo (I strongly recommend the Component cables so you get the video upconversion), run an Svideo from the checkerboard Svideo connector to the TV.

IMPORTANT - GO TO PAGE 27 OF THE MANUAL. ONCE AGAIN YOU WILL NEED TO TWEAK THE SETTINGS. SET EVERYTHING TO “AUTO” AND THIS WILL ALLOW THE DENON TO SWITCH EVERYTHING AUTOMATICALLY TO WHATEVER DEVICE YOU ARE WATCHING.

Final point. Go to page 35 of the manual. This page explains how to set everything to AUTO. This is what you want - it makes everything just work.

Once all of this is done, open a beer, call the wife in and look smug like only an electronics whiz can as you change devices and the Denon makes you a hero..

#98965 06/22/05 12:31 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
You see Jim, I told you good ole Ray would come to the rescue.

#98966 06/22/05 12:34 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Now we just need good ole Jim to show up again to see if any of it helps him.

#98967 06/22/05 01:56 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Through some manual reading and some experimentation I have gotten limited functionality out of the system. All the speakers are making noise now except when I use the DVD which only uses two of the speakers like stereo. It was enough to get me past the first bout of frustration and at least feel like I hadn't blown a wad of money for nothing. But now my patience has returned and with the most generous help of Ray's step by step, I will sit down one night this week or this weekend and try to get everything hooked up RIGHT. I can't tell you how helpful this is. I promise to report in with my progress!

#98968 06/22/05 02:05 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
He came back, he came back!

#98969 06/27/05 08:16 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
An update...

I finally sat down with the step by step from above and now everything is working great. I get great sound from the dish network signal, great sound when I play a CD through my DVD player, BUT... a DVD (yesterday I watched The Aviator) actually sounds really weak. If I set it on SIX CHANNEL stereo it sounds nice and full, but there seems to be no "surround" in the sound. Even the TV (Dish) has the good surround sound, but not the DVDs.

The other annoying thing that I can't seem to figure out is when I change from DVD to TV as the source, I have to walk to the box and actually change the DIAL to get the right input source. I can't seem to figure out how to do it from the remote control. I've read through the manual 3 or 4 times now, and I can't figure that one out.

#98970 06/27/05 10:17 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
PJ,

I'll try to help and hope you have a remote like mine. I have the RC-921. About halfway done on my remote there is a backlight button. To the right of that button are some buttons labeled in blue, such as Dolby/DTS surround, cinema and music. I'm sure you want to press the DTS button and you can pick either Neo6 or DPL2 there if you wish. I don't think there is such a thing as 6 channel stereo, only 5 channel or 7 channel.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters