Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axiom AX2 experiences
#99272 06/18/05 12:54 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Is there any one here who owns or has owned or has heard the older AX2 model? Would you mind telling me what you think of them. It is the bookshelf version, 2 way design with an 8in. driver
Thanks
oz
please pronounce oz without any sss(ibilance) 8>)

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
Re: Axiom AX2 experiences
#99273 06/19/05 12:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I qualify in both areas.

My first introduction to Axiom was in approx 1990, when there was a limited network of Axiom dealers. I demo'ed the 2,3 and 5 model, and was about to buy the 2's. When I went to get them, they did not have them, substituted the 3's at the same price as the 2's, and I started down the audio path.

I visited the Axiom factory shortly after - yes, I still have not scanned and posted the pic's...bad Mike!!!!

I then found a pair of AX2's at a garage sale, they were quite destroyed, and I upgraded then. This is where the lifetime warranty came in handy, and I replaced all the drivers in the 2's and my 3's. I passed them on to another person who enjoys them today.

I really enjoyed the sound of the 2's - clean, detailed...pretty much the descriptions that are lauded on the newer models. The 3's added a quasi dedicated sub integrated into the main cabinet, but within its own cabinet.

My one question would be are the models you are discussiing in square or ASW cabinets? There was at one point a bookshelf, and a larger floorstanding (almost) model. I am still looking for an old brochure I received when I bought my AX3's. Axiom also offered real veneer finishes in the Reference lineup...and as mentioned lifetime warranties.

#99274 06/19/05 04:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I visited the Axiom factory shortly after - yes, I still have not scanned and posted the pic's...bad Mike!!!!

I'm still waiting on this BB. Need that early Ian hairdo comparison thing to happen so we have something to tease him about at the picnic.
These were the pre-Amie years. I'm not sure what his fashion sense was prior to the introduction to Amie.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#99275 06/19/05 01:17 PM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Unfortunately I have no further information on these. I just know that they are two way w/8" woofer. I have written my brother to see if he can find out more. I went to the Axiom older models page and found out the had two versions od the AX2. I'm sure my brother mentioned that they were bookshelf.
I guess I was just wondering if Axiom has always been known for quality or if they just came into their own with the more recent Millenium line. From your description of the 2's you had they where clean and detailed much like the current line. My brother has been very interested in what my decision is on what new speakers to get. When I told him about Axiom he said a friend of his had older Axiom AX2's that he was looking to sell. Just peaked my curiosity I guess.

#99276 06/20/05 02:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As mentioned before, no pictures of Ian unfortunately. However, if I find the brochure, there was a picture of him in that, holding a driver if memory serves.

Scanning the pictures is on my list to do this week.....I think there is one of me standing on the sign by the road, and me leaning on a bench....other than that, just pics of the manufacturing areas.

#99277 06/20/05 01:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
When I first "Discovered" Axiom, I was also looking at a lot of other Canadian Manufacturers(due to Soundstage giving them such heavy coverage)but I swore that while scanning about 25 different companies and their histories and background engineering, I ran across a photo-of NRC, I think-that had a group of folks in the early days of NRC involvement standing around doing what audio engineers do while in front of a camera. At any rate, I believe that at least one of the shots had Ian within the group! I was starting to recognize names and faces after doing a lot of research in those days, and I seem to remember him amongst the others.

I may try to find these elusive photos again, and will get back if I do.
Rich.

#99278 06/24/05 04:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Oz (note absence of sssibilance),

Just catching up on the message boards. I'm physically at Axiom for a week or so, and not in my home office, where I could go through lots of NRC archived test reports. I know the AX2 was in tests in which I was on the listening panel, and I may have reviewed them in either Sound&Vision (Canada) when I was the editor, or in Audio Canada or Sound Canada.

In any case, it was a very good speaker that outscored expensive competition from England and the US. You'll have to be patient until I get back in my home office. I'll see if I can find some of the listening test reports on the AX2.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#99279 06/24/05 09:02 PM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
alan
Unfortunately that offer is gone. I heard back from my brother and found out that they had been sold for under 100.00 dollars. Of course I would still be interested in any review in case the opportunity arises once again. In the mean time I am still demo-ing (sp?) all speakers I can to try to come to some decision on what to get. If you missed my other threads I am very interested in the M60 and M80 speakers. This is (right now anyway) strictly for either stereo only or stereo & sub. Possible growth and integration into surround upgrade later. I currently have a Polk Audio RM-6600 I think it is. After I figure out my stereo room I will start saving to change out the surround system. I would like to start with the M22 and put them as my new fronts along with the rest of the polk system. If I decide that sacd or dvda is something I am interested in I will then run the 60's or 80's whichever I decide on as fronts and then move the 22's to the rears. Right now there just seems to be a lot of decisions but I like the flexibility that the Axiom product line offers. If you have any suggestions I am wide open to suggestions at this point.
Thanks for responding to this post and if you can reference those reviews I would be very interested.
Later,
oz

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082