I hope you can help. I recently sold my 2 1/2 year old 56" Samsung DLP to a friend. I am back on the market for a new TV. I am considering the LED based Samsung 61" DLP (HL-T6189S). It sounds like a vast improvement over the model I had including 1080p, LED and support for HDMI version 1.3. I am finding however it is very hard to get expert advice on this exact model. Do you have any comments on this one?

------------------------------------

Hello Jeff,

The most recent review I could find of a Samsung LED-based DLP projection set is at Cnet, from David Katzmaier, whom I worked with some years ago at a predecessor to CNet called etown. David's video criticism closely parallels my own, and I generally agree with his assessments. If anything he is more critical than I am of image quality. Here's the link to his review.

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/samsung-hl-t5687s/4505-6484_7-32313063.html?tag=txt

The LED-based Samsung he reviews is from the same new LED DLP series as the 61-inch that you are considering, and I expect its performance would be very similar or identical.

I've been using a conventional projection-lamp-based Samsung DLP for almost four years and it's generally very good, except for the inevitable "rainbow effects" that I see occasionally. The new three-LED light source eliminates the color wheel and rainbow effects, although the LED light source fires sequentially, so theoretically that's a big advantage over the older DLP models. I still find the "punch" and contrast of DLP images really excellent.

I saw the 1st-generation LED-based Samsung at CES two years ago and felt that its picture quality was largely comparable to the conventional non-LED Samsung sets.

Since then, a number of other HD set makers have greatly improved, including the flat-panel LCD and plasma sets from Samsung. I've always found the Panasonic plasma flat panels to be excellent. You should also take a look at the latest Sony LCD 1080p rear-projection models, which Sony has discontinued.

The Sony LCD flat panels are the best LCD panels I've seen, although I still find that plasma panels produce deeper blacks than any LCD and superior image quality and contrast viewed from the side. In my opinion, Pioneer plasmas are overrated and overpriced. The Sharp LCD panels at this year's CES were excellent, except when viewed from the side.

Al Griffin recently gave a Samsung 52-inch LCD flat panel (LN-T5265F) an excellent review in the Sept. issue of Sound & Vision magazine. You could find that one online at www.Soundandvisionmag.com .

If I were to replace my Samsung, I'd think seriously of a flat-panel plasma from Panasonic or Samsung, or perhaps a Sony LCD flat panel. It's a tough decision, but picture quality from the best new 1080p sets is very close and price may influence your choice as much as anything.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Alan