I'm currently interested in purchasing a 50-inch plasma and am confused by what is available in these markets. I have looked at the Panasonic th50 pz 700, Hitachi 50-inch 601, and Samsung 5084. Do you have any recommendations on these TVs? Thanks.

-- John

------------------------------------

Hello John,

Thanks for your e-mail. I just answered an email question from an old friend in Toronto who asked me the same questions. Here's my response, with some edits that address your specific questions:

The latest issue (March '08) of Consumer Reports magazine has elaborate tests of plasma and LCD sets. You should pick up a copy on the newsstand.

While on some products, I find CR's testing inept, I do find their tests of all types of video displays correlate very closely with my own judgments. Of the five top-rated 50-inch plasma displays tested by CR, three are Panasonics, all beginning with "TH-50" in the model numbers. The Samsung HP-T5064 is just behind the Panasonics. The Samsung HP-T5084 is not as highly rated. I've generally found the Hitachi plasmas, while good, are not the equal of the Panasonics or Samsungs. LG is also quite good, but a bit behind the Panasonic and Samsung.

By the way, many of these sets--LCD and plasma-- are available in "1080p" or "720p". You don't need 1080p; they're much more expensive and the human eye can't resolve the differences in detail unless you sit 5 feet from a 50-inch screen. 720p sets are full high definition and cost much less.

There are two kinds of flat panel TVs--LCD and plasma. Plasma displays have the best picture quality viewed even from extreme angles at the sides, and the "blacks" are blacker--less grayish than LCD--and they don't have any blurring with fast horizontal motion.

LCD can be brighter than plasmas but some suffer from fast lateral motion blurring. With all LCDs, the picture deteriorates (contrast lessens, colors aren't as saturated) if you view them from angles to either side. That may not matter to you, and they are very much better in this regard than in past years.

Plasmas tend to use more electricity than LCD sets and are very expensive in big screens, more than LCD. The Panasonic plasmas are excellent and much less expensive than Pioneer, which are mucho dollars, and, in my judgment, no better.

The Sony Bravia and Samsung LCDs are very very close in quality, and look better than the Sharp displays in stores and demos. Sony tends to be expensive, Samsung somewhat less. Toshiba, often overlooked, also has some excellent LCD sets and they are often a lot less than Sony or Samsung in the USA. Brands that are inferior to the above include LG, Hitachi, JVC, RCA, Viewsonic, Vizio, Polaroid, and Olevia.

Kind regards,

Alan