I just purchased a new HDTV, a Sony XBR-4 (1080p), however I'm not able to use the HDMI cable from the decoder recorder box into my set. I have exchanged boxes

with the cable company with no luck. My DVD player works fine with the HDMI cable. Is there a way to get a 1080i signal into my TV, as now I'm using component cables? What resolution will the component cables carry?
Thanks. Regards, Bruce

------------------------------------

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your e-mail.

Component-video cables are fully capable of carrying either 720p or 1080i HD video signals, and sometimes produce superior picture quality to HDMI.

It's odd that your decoder box isn't working with the HDMI cable. Is it an HD decoder/DVR? What brand and model? Scientific Atlanta? Motorola?

Have you gone into the menu for the cable box and made sure that you have the HDMI turned ON? Some cable systems don't enable the HDMI output (that was the case for my first Scientific Atlanta HD box). The HDMI output didn't work. My later model, an Explorer 8300HD, does have the HDMI enabled but I use the component-video outputs because the picture quality is better than using the HDMI output.

In any case, you should set the HD cable box to output either 720p or 1080i. Compare the picture resolution (they may look identical, or one may appear slightly sharper than the other). Use the best-looking setting.

Feel free to contact me on my direct line, 1-888-243-3236, 9-5 Eastern Time, Monday to Friday, or call the Axiom toll-free number any time at 1-866-244-8796 - any of our Audio Experts would be pleased to help.

Kind regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)