I purchased the Epic 60/350 system about a year ago. The only difference is I went with the QS4s instead of the QS8s, the reason being, my room was rather small and your advice was the QS4. I also went with the smaller sub. I am running a Denon 1905 receiver and denon DVD player. What in your opinion are the best settings for the best theater experience? (DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS decoder, Dolby Digital, DTS-ES decoder, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital Surround). Some movies sound much better then others. I really have to turn the amp up quit a bit to really have a good overall experience.(around -12). The Denon volume goes from a negitive volume up to 0. When am I pushing the amp too much? How much can the Axiom speakers handle? Would I benefit from purchasing additional speakers for the rear?

Oh, by the way, the speakers sound extremely clear. I am in no way disappointed with my purchase, I just want to get the most out of my theater experience. Thanks.

-- Todd

------------------------------------

Hi Todd,

The M60ti's will handle 250 watts per channel (actually, much more) of clean power from a separate power amplifier and play at ear-shattering levels.

The calibration of AV receivers' volume controls, including Denon, is somewhat arbitrary, however, in a general way, as you approach the "0-dB" setting, that is an indication that you are getting close to the clipping point of the Denon's internal amplifiers. If an amplifier "clips," it sends a distorted signal to the speakers that may burn out the tweeters and or the woofers instantly, so don't push your Denon too close to the 0-dB level.

If you want greatly increased playback volume, then consider adding a separate stereo power amp (200 watts per channel or more) for the M60ti's, using the Denon for the other channels and the pre-outs to drive the power amp.

DTS tends to process movie soundtracks for more spectacular effects, so you may prefer the dts soundtrack on DVDs that have it (dts is optional for DVDs). Certainly the dts soundtrack for "War of the Worlds" has more powerful bass effects than the Dolby Digital soundtrack.

Not many movies are mixed for DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 or Dolby Digital EX but your Denon will interpolate signals for extra surrounds if you want to run 7.1. Adding extra surrounds gives somewhat better coverage for listeners in different seats in the room, and enhances the immersion in the surround field. In average size rooms (2,000 cu ft) the differences aren't all that dramatic, but they are audible. In larger rooms, I always recommend four surrounds.

As you say, some movies sound much better than others. Often the movie budget is limited so they don't spend a lot on an elaborate surround mix. It all costs money.

DTS Neo:6 does much the same as Dolby Pro LogicIIx--it works on any stereo 2-channel source and simulates a surround experience. Both algorithms will vary a lot depending on the original source. You may like one or the other for certain CDs. One isn't "better" than the other. They just work in different ways. A colleague of mine likes dts Neo:6 better than ProLogicIIx for pop and rock music. I prefer ProLogicIIx myself for And for some classical music, I use a third system called Logic7, which is only available on Harman/Kardon receivers (Harman owns Lexicon, who developed Logic7). If I were to generalize, Logic7 sounds more expansive on classical and jazz acoustic music than DPLIIx or dts Neo6.

If your sound quality is clean and clear, then you are not pushing your Denon into distortion. I'm delighted you're happy with the EPIC 60/350 system.

Kind regards,

Alan