I have an Onkyo TX V940 tuner/amplifier rated at 100 watts per channel, into 8 ohms, both channels driven from 40 Hz to 20 kHz with more than 0.2% THD. (I have no idea what all this means.) I do know I have had the unit 15 years and it has served me well. I currently have a Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer/satellite speaker package (again about 15 years old). I play 80% music (CDs) 60’s to 80’s rock, folk, and 20% movies. I will be getting a new 52-inch LCD. So, my movie playing will increase. Room size is 16 x 25 ft., hard wood, with a large throw rug. Speakers and TV will be in one corner. I am interested in the M22 speakers because of their size and cost. The tuner/amp is less than 12ft away from the speakers. What do you suggest? Is the Cambridge passive subwoofer usable or should I dump it? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.--Mike -----

Hello Mike,
Your room is quite large--about 3,500 cu. ft.--as is your viewing/listening distance (15 ft) so I'm reluctant to recommend using the M22s unless you also got a powerful subwoofer--either the excellent new EP350 v3 ($758) or the wonderful EP500 ($1,230), either of which would exceed your budget. I don't know the capabilities of the Cambridge passive subwoofer. My past experience with Cambridge is that they are decent, but not in the same league as Axioms. How big is the woofer driver in the Cambridge sub--8 inches, 10 inches, 12 inches? Are you currently using it in this room and do you hear deep bass from it? If you do, then yes, you could use it with the M22s and your existing Onkyo stereo receiver. However, since you're getting a new big-screen LCD--and I presume it's HDTV, right? Then maybe you should consider gradually upgrading to a 5.1-channel home theater surround system. All HD programs are broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surround sound, and it's worth matching the HD video with similarly great surround sound. So, here's what I think you should do. Get a pair of our Axiom M60 v2 tower speakers ($990 delivered), which have excellent bass and will suit your room size better than the M22s. http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60ti_main.html And they're within your budget. The tonal balance is almost identical to the M22s and the M60s will play much louder and cleaner in bigger rooms. Your Onkyo will drive them easily. You could still use the Cambridge sub if it offers decent bass extension beyond the M60s. As time and budget permit, you could later get a Dolby Digital 5.1 channel AV receiver like this Sherwood Newcastle R-772, which is reasonably priced ($800) and has a very robust amplifier. http://www.axiomaudio.com/sherwood_r772.html or a comparable Denon model. Then you could add a center channel speaker like the Axiom VP150, even using your Cambridge speakers as temporary surround speakers, then replace those with the Axiom QS8 quadpolar surrounds. Later on you could get a great subwoofer. That way, you'd end up with a terrific 5.1 channel system that will greatly enhance your DVD movie viewing as well as your CD collection. CDs decoded by Dolby Pro Logic IIx or dts Neo:6 in 5.1 channels are quite wonderful, a big improvement on 2-channel stereo. Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)