Print Thread
Rate Thread
JohnK, please help this is bugging me.
#187666 12/12/07 09:17 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Others I'm sure will also know the answer but a wide open plea for help to the masses sounds so desperate... \:\)

Since I've been returning to classical music more and more now and enjoying many recommendations of great sounding recordings from this board, I am continually amazed at how many movements from different composers I recognize, not only from listening to live sessions but also from movies.

One is really bugging me though as I can't figure out what major motion picture this piece is from. In fact it might even be in several but there is one that has been on the tip of my tongue for days but I give up.

So trivia time.
Rachmonininov Symphony No. 2 -- e-moll op. 27
has a very distinctive and well known underlying melody to it. What movie was it used in please?

Thanks

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: JohnK, please help this is bugging me.
Murph #187673 12/12/07 10:06 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
I don't know the answer but am willing to bet it was used in a Merry Melodies cartoon at some time.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Murph #187772 12/13/07 06:41 AM
Well Andrew, this actually isn't going to be all that easy. I sure do know the Rachmaninoff 2d Symphony(I've got seven recordings), but I'm a whole lot weaker on movies. When I watch a DVD it's likely to be a ballet(I'll be watching 3-4 Nutcrackers before Christmas)rather than a movie as such.

If you'd give the movement and time where the theme appears(the Ashkenazy performance that I suggested to you a couple months ago?)it might help to identify it.

I checked a list of classical music used in movies , but there wasn't anything listed for the 2d Symphony. Some of his Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, which is a little similar was listed for Dead Again, Groundhog Day and Somewhere in Time(incidentally, the re-recording of the soundtrack music for Somewhere is quite beautiful), if you might have that in mind instead.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #187779 12/13/07 01:04 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
3-4 Nutcrackers before Christmas???? That is dedication!

Here is some more information for anyone who enjoys a wild goos chase.

It is the Ashkenazy performance you recommended, John. (very nice, Thank You!)
3rd Movement - Adiagio.
The timing is easy because it opens the movement. First 14 notes or so sets the particular theme I am thinking of. 'Romantic in a very sad way' is how I would describe it. Its repeated throughout, including the end. I'm at work so I am relying on memory.

I'll have to do some googling. I was intrigued by the Merry Melodies one because I just only vaguely remembered what they were. The 30s and 40s were before my time but I do now recall seeing many of them along side Loony Tunes. What I didn't realize was that there were hundreds made so your guess may be safe.

Murph #187868 12/13/07 08:46 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
ACK! I haven't found the movie but an obscure wikepedia reference led me to find a song that borrowed it for its verse.

I can clearly hear where he 'borrowed' the melody for his main verse but It's not a song I was familiar with thankfully, so my hunt is not over.

If you like Rachmaninoff, I suggest you NEVER listen to this song. Otherwise this movement will be forever tainted for you by this gawdawful pop tune. Never Gonna Fall In Love Again by the ball of hair that is Eric Carman.

Murph #187943 12/14/07 03:12 AM
Okay Andrew, I'll mention that I saw a vague comment that it reminded him of an "old Casablanca movie", if that means anything.

Movie fans, the theme that Andrew is trying to place in a movie can be heard in sample 3. of this Ormandy performance. About a second in there's this six-note theme that's repeated three times at that point. What's the answer?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #187945 12/14/07 03:30 AM
That does sound very familiar, but it could just be familiar since John got me listening to the Rach. \:\) Now that it is in my head I'll give it some thought.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #188525 12/17/07 12:15 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Not only did I find it, but it's a Christmas Miracle!! OK, well not quite but it did make me smile and wonder.

Just watched a Christmas DVD that my wife bought. The answer to my burning question is........

The final song in the final scene where Micheal Caine sings
"The Love we found"......

in
Got it yet???
"A Muppet Christmas Carol" !!!!

It's a slightly simplified version of the theme but the main verse is undoubtely the the same.

Also, although I know it's no Nutcracker Suite, this movie gives me a smile every Christmas. It adds a touch of cute Muppet humor, but does an masterful job of keeping the dark, somber but finally uplifting Dickens story. Caine proves some serious acting skill by staying totally sober and Humbuggy while staring into the face of muppets. As someone who has played Scrooge in Community theater, I don't know how he does it.

I digress. Mystery solved by a total coincidence
or was it?
Strange things happen at Christmas!

Andrew

Last edited by Murph; 12/17/07 12:16 AM. Reason: because i was on on Rum and Eggnog.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044